I'm no Hank Lonely but...my Galactic Starcruiser trip report

On Day 2, our dinner was a taste of the galaxy. I think I actually like this more than the Day 1 dinner. If we were to do this again, I would do the Captain’s Table on day 2. There is a spoiler for that but I will do a spoiler version of this trip report and share it there :slight_smile:

Since we were not at the Captain’s Table, we were seated in the main part of the dining room at a table for two but in reality, it was a long row of tables with a booth on one side and chairs on the other so you were really close to the other tables. In talking to the couple next to us, they were at the same seat both nights and had the same server. But the couple who sat next to them on Day 1 was now at the Captain’s table.

Food was still served family-style (among your own table) and they were still very accomodating to special requests for food. The really cool part about this night is that before each course was served, the chef came out to describe it. Each course represented a different part of the galaxy and the lighting in the dining room changed for each. It was a great way to show appreciation to the chefs who created and made the food.

The first course was a mustafarian bread service so the lighting turned red. There were a variety of dipping sauces and spreads. The Pima Cheese (like a pimento cheese) and the apricot relish were my favorites.

They also had drinks you could get and I tried the Mark of the Huntress - oh my gosh was it good! Bourbon Whiskey, Peach-infused Blackcurrant, Orgeat, Lemon, Sparkling bubbles (chef’s kiss)

In the middle of dinner, we received a message on our comms channel alerting us to a plot development :astonished:
Ouannii was making her rounds and paused for a selfie

The next course is the infamous Felucian blue shrimp. The presentation was great with the dry ice. DH isn’t a shrimp fan which was great for me - I ate them all!

For the main course, you got beef and fish. DH does not like fish so we opted to substitute it with the Tip Yip (chicken)

The beef was so tasty, the fig fruit demi-glace was so good and the potatoes were hard to stop eating! I thought the chicken was good but a bit dry, DH loved it ha ha.
Finally dessert

At 7:30 we had a task to complete so we left the dining room to head to it when we ran into more of the story unfolding.

This is both the cool part of the experience and the slightly frustrating part. So much of the story that unfolds in public is being in the right place at the right time. If you aren’t, you miss it. I’m sure it will get to a point that someone publishes a whole list of the story moments and timing to lead guests to know where to be and when (if it hasn’t already been done). I think this could create a scenario where even more people join in or line up to wait to see some of these things which would diminish the seemingly natural way the story unfolds now. But, I do wonder what happens during the 1st dinner seating that we missed and vice versa with the 2nd dinner seating.
Still trying to make our way to where we needed to be, we encountered more plot elements developing

We made it to the location of our 7:30 task and realized it was invite-only and being held under the guise of a meeting of Gaya’s Fanclub. We had several people try to join but they checked your credentials (ie magic band) to make sure you were on the list. If you weren’t, you got turned away. This was tied directly to the tasks we completed in Batuu and the course we choose. While I had started off playing both sides, I ultimately switched to the Resistence and I was so glad DH and I both got to experience this task. It was one of the highlights.
Can’t post pictures because it would be one huge spoiler but here is a hint

We had to move right from that to our next task, also a direct result of actions we did on Batuu and we had to head to the bridge. Again, so much story unfolding in these last few hours

Be sure to take in all of the elements in the atrium - everything changes to match the story

We made our way to the bridge - another invite only task. This truly did lead up to the finale and I am so glad we were able to experience it. Obviously dumb luck because we didn’t know the tasks we completed on Batuu would lead to this but one more reason to do all of the tasks on Batuu!!!
This was probably one of the (many) highlights for DH. We were all assembled on the bridge - we got to choose whichever station we wanted. DH makes a b line for the weapons station right by the big window. Sammie is the main character that starts this part of the story and it is under the guise of “star gazing with Sammie”, in case any of the storm troopers get curious. Part way through, He has to go do something else so he wants someone who can take charge and run the bridge. He looks right at DH and asks his name then asks if he can take over. DH was beside himself. Alas, the cruise director comes in and she will officially take over and DH had a bit of relief and disappointment all at the same time.

We worked through our assignment and it was so much more fun than our bridge training because they really envelop you in the story and tie so many things together.

As soon as we exited the bridge, a ship-wide alert went off and we had to assemble at our muster stations. It was about 9:30 so if you were at the late seating dinner, and a slow eater, this might cut into that time. We did see mutliple people bringing what was left of their bottles of wine to the muster station with them!

Muster Station leader

I knew what was coming for the finale based on the media reports and it was the culmination of the story we had been living for the past 30 some hours. Without offering spoilers, I will just say that my biggest complaint about this (as with other operational things) is that they need to refigure how they block this for the actors. The things that happen up on the balcony are easy to see, for the most part. You do have to be closer to the middle of the room to onto the balcony from all sides. But, some of the funniest finale events happen on the main floor with some of the actors. This means that if you are 10 people deep, there is no way to see what is happening. Unless you are in the front row of the action, you are going to miss it. This was significant because of the things that happen so I was a little bummed that I couldn’t see anything. Hopefully, they will get this worked out and either elevate it or figure out a way to make it more visible to everyone.
The night ended with fireworks in space - again, I couldnt see these at all because we were all the way behind the bridge where they take place.

But it was a festive atmosphere and definitely a fun celebration with the passengers and the star wars music that is so powerful. We took some last pictures on the bridge and Keeli - who was an awesome part of the guest services/crew team.

DH even got his pictures with some Mandalorians (these were guests in costume)

Now it was time for Sweets and Treats - it was after 10 but who can say no to a dessert buffet!?
We headed back to the dining room to grab some treats - I only took a video of the buffet, no pictures but they had a little bit of everything including the colored popcorn sold on Batuu.
There was also a song performed by Ouannii and Sandro. I will say that this is a subplot that went totally unnoticed by us!!
We had one last check-in with our in room droid and got instructions for leaving in the morning. You could get assistance with luggage if you tagged your bags and left them in the hall.
DH did one last walk around the ship to take some pictures and stumbled upon this easter egg in the engineering room

The view our of our starport was now of all of the CSL fleet - we were told about the other ships during our Batuu trip otherwise, I don’t think I would have known!

Some 4k pics of the ship

Departure Day
We were up early again - our shuttle back to earth was at 8:45. We put our luggage out before we went to breakfast and by the time we came back, it had already been picked up!
Breakfast was similar to Day 2 but with some new things

Avacado toast

The hash browns were soooo good

Scotch Egg

Pretty empty!

It was time to head out but a few last pictures…we just couldn’t help ourselves!

It was time to board the transport and end our adventure. As we exited in the terminal there was…wait for it…a gift shop! This is where all of the Star Wars branded merch is. This is totally different than what was on the Halcyon and was more typical to theme park merch like t-shirts, hats, water bottles…etc. I failed to take pictures of the items in the store, other than what we purchased.

Magnet

Back in tourist, park clothes!

Departure was easy and fast. We stopped to pick up our luggage and order a Lyft to get to our next hotel, Saratoga Springs.
We were exhausted but both agreed that it was such a fun experience and 1) worth the money (to us) and 2) DH wants to go back :money_mouth_face:

I’ll add my closing thoughts and opinions in a bit. Even though it was a week ago that we boarded the cruise of a lifetime, I am still processing a lot of what we experienced and this trip report has helped.

28 Likes

In a way, though, doesn’t that make the whole experience all the more realistic. If whatever was happening on the ship was real, the action wouldn’t wait for you.

3 Likes

This has been without doubt the best coverage of the Galactic Starcruiser in any medium in any channel. Fantastic write-up and awesome pictures. Disney should be paying you.

I still can’t decide if I want to do it. I really want to explore the ship and stay onboard. But the activities? I don’t know if I’m cut out for it. And I don’t have any emotional investment in Star Wars.

If I can find the right person / group of people it might be really fun. Oh, and if I can find the cash.

Talking of which, Bricker did an interesting analysis of the value of the event: Is Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser Worth the $5,000+ Cost? - Disney Tourist Blog

He compares it with other similarly priced things you could do. Maybe I’ll do Tokyo first.

13 Likes

That’s a good point. Between FOMO and wanting to experience everything, I felt like I missed out. And based on what we paid, shouldn’t the action wait for me? :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for that! I overheard a few vloggers on our voyage say how this experience is so hard to capture and cover in a vlog. It is true, there is so much going on, you can’t possibly see everything. But, I tried to document our experience as best as I could and I am glad that came through.

I do think that even if you don’t have an emotional connection to Star Wars, you can enjoy this, especially if you really get into the play acting part of it. People who we talked to that came into the voyage dressed in street clothes and knowing very little about Star Wars (they were there with family members who were the fans) ended up getting really into the adventure and cheering at the end. You do get caught up in it pretty easily.

I read Tom Bricker’s article and I think Len alluded to the same thing - if there are other places you want to experience (whether in the Disney realm or not) then do those, that makes sense. But, for people who have done all of that or who don’t have the desire too, and you love star wars, and want a unique, immersive experience then this won’t disappoint.

For me that is why this is a one and done. I love international travel, I still have a couple of continents I want to cross off my bucket list so I would rather focus on those places. But, for DH - he doesn’t love international travel at all. For him, he’d do this every year and be perfectly happy.

We just went to the Galapagos Islands in December and that really reinvigorated my love of travel and desire to do more. This means doing less Disney and I am OK with that for now (DH probably has other thoughts ha ha).

16 Likes

Final Thoughts

Overall Experience: A+ : While there are some operational improvements that can be made, we knew that being on one of the early voyages would mean that this might be the case. We did get a very lengthy survey so we provided a lot of that feedback. Based on how some of the questions were asked, I think they already have an idea of the issues. The level of service is superb, the food is plentiful, tasty and on point for theming. I hope that we don’t see a “dumbing down” of the food offerings like what was seen in Batuu. Obviously, people’s taste will dictate that but it would lose something to see chicken on the menu vs tip yip.

The Price (is it worth it?): For us, yes, it was well worth it. Is $5000 the right price? I don’t know. It is a lot, it is near the top limit of what we were willing to pay - if it goes higher, we would be out. Lower and it would be a no-brainer.
We had an awesome time and DH would do this again and again, but, I realize how fortunate we are to be able to afford this and to be in a position that we could consider going again. That makes me sad that so many fans aren’t able to enjoy this because Disney has priced it so high. You shouldn’t have to pay this much to get an enjoyable experience that was originally supposed to be part of SWGE (the characters walking around, the interaction…etc). The excellent customer service we received from the staff shouldn’t be behind a $5000 paywall. We received FULL housekeeping - they changed the sheets, emptied trash, vacuumed (we came back to the room while they were there), provided fresh towels. DH had left some dirty clothes on the floor and they folded them! They organized our cables by tying them with little plastic ties. This used to be standard at all Disney hotels (well, maybe not folding the dirty clothes lol). I think it speaks to the overall direction Disney is headed and while we are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, it doesn’t represent what Disney used to be for me all these years.

Batuu Excursion: I went into this with the thought that going to Batuu would be a waste of time. We’ve done it so many times, is this really how we wanted to “waste” our morning? the answer unequivocally is yes, you should do Batuu and do all the things!! I can’t say for sure that all of the experiences we had after boarding the ship from our Batuu excursion were a direct result of that excursion but those things didn’t show up on our itinerary until after we completed certain things and others we talked to who cut their time short or didn’t do all of their side missions did not get invited to those events. So, if you are on the fence, embrace Batuu as part of your story.

Data Pad: I wasn’t a fan of using two phones the entire time. It was nice that they give you cables and a charger but it is a lot to juggle. One other thing that was disappointing is that all of the comms are wiped out once you are back. The badges and achievements you unlock are saved, which is good. But the itinerary, all of the conversations are gone. Luckily, on our last night, we screen recorded all of this so we have it - otherwise, I would never be able to remember all of the details of what happened. So, if you want to preserve things, record it before you turn the phone back in!

Split Stay: Hopefully they will get better at communicating the whole luggage transfer situation in the future and letting guests know in advance what to expect. Again, we knew going on one of the first voyages there would be some hiccups. It was awesome to get the late check out for our BLT stay so we didn’t have to wander around until the Starcruiser check-in time. I wish they would do the same thing on the check-out day. The latest departure to leave the Halcyon is 10 AM. That is really early considering how exhausting the experience is. It would be really nice if they could have an early check-in if you are moving to another Disney hotel.

Level of Participation: As I said from the outset, I am an introvert so this was already way out of my comfort zone. And while we didn’t develop a complex backstory or interact a lot with the actors, we did participate in all of the side missions and got involved in what we did do. So, it is possible to still have a really great time even if you aren’t a living breathing character. Would you have a better time going for it 1000%, maybe, but our approach worked for us. In listening to the Disney Dish episode, there were things Len got to experience that we did not and I suspect that was due to his level of commitment to his backstory and truly playing the part!

Canon: Including this mainly as part of DH’s feedback. He is an avid Star Wars fan. He is not a fan of the direction Star Wars has gone since Disney has taken it over, with the exception of Rogue 1. If you are in that same boat and are focused on Star Wars canon, then you have to suspend that focus for the voyage or you might be disappointed. I still refer to the Twi’lek as the blue people so this was not a problem for me whatsoever :grin: but DH said there were a couple of things that happened on the voyage that he felt were obvious issues. He just told himself to not worry about it enjoy the experience but I know for some, that isn’t easy.

Lastly, we booked this trip using a Touring Plans travel agent (Gina). I don’t usually use a travel agent for Disney trips but I will use one without hesitation if we book this again. This was new and she was so willing to answer my hundreds of questions and find answers. Also a huge shout out to @len because he helped answer some questions too, even while he was there on his voyage.

If there are any more questions anyone has, please let me know. I will work on a spoiler version for those who want to know exactly what missions we did and how they impacted our story, along with the can’t miss things we participated in!

31 Likes

This was a truly excellent read. Thanks so much for reporting with such detail and really giving us a real play by play of the experience. I would never do this solo, but I think if my SW loving friends ever wanted to I would absolutely join them.

10 Likes

I 100% agree!

@DisneyDayDreamin , thank you! This has been a joy to read!

9 Likes

Wow, what an awesome report! Thanks so much for taking time to share, your insights and pictures are amazing! I really enjoyed reading this :star_struck:

3 Likes

I have no interest in doing this myself but absolutely loved following along with you! Thanks for sharing.

6 Likes

This has been an awesomely detailed and fun report! I love that you got to go with a SW fan. I’m sure DHs level of excitement fed yours.
Since I probably will not pay for this experience, I can’t wait for your spoilers! I really like the choose your path nature of this. Since I’m not up to date on SW, I think I would be lost with some of the plot details and would love to see specifics of the storyline, from a curiosity standpoint.

5 Likes

This has been a fantastic trip report. Thanks for all of the great details, photos, and commentary WITHOUT spoilers. I’m so glad you and your husband enjoyed your trip. It was a joy to follow along!

3 Likes

I’m mostly a lurker here but had to reply to tell you what a great trip report this was. Probably not an experience I’ll ever get to do but enjoyable to read about it and see all the cool details. Thank you!

8 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing a wonderfully detailed trip report! I’m about 90% certain I’ll book the Starcruiser for next Jan/Feb as a surprise present for dh’s birthday, assuming those dates open before his Sept birthday! On a 10 point scale of Star Wars fandom, he’s a 7.5 and I’m more of a 5. Seeing how it worked for you two reassures me that my introverted self will have a great time.

7 Likes

Thank you for this wonderful trip report! It was so much fun following along. The amount of detail was just right without giving anything away. And I’m glad you liked it, even as just the casual SW fan. Sounds like your DH really enjoyed it! I really hope to be able to do this one day, but that would mean sacrificing some of our other Disney trips to afford it. Living vicariously through yours will have to do for now.

3 Likes

This is great advice. My one question is “were these excursions fun?”. Or where they more like checking boxes to get to something better? Did the excursions have a cool factor? Did they immerse you more in the story? or were they just an easy way for Disney to occupy your time? Maybe all of the above!

Thank you for bringing us along! You are a fantastic narrator.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

:heart: Loved your trip report and cannot wait for the spoiler-filled version.

I love playing detective and putting the pieces of a puzzle together. Mapping out a timeline of all the characters, story plot points, activities, stage gates, etc… would be fun to do. Then TP can turn that into a guide to get the best personalized experience out of the Halcyon.

5 Likes

I like this feature. Definitely an upscale dining thing.

That’s really pretty! What was it? HOW was it?

The only solution is to constantly refresh the story so no two voyages are alike, or so you can never be sure which story you’re in until you’re in it.

That would be absolutely 100% unacceptable to me. Full stop. They need to revise this so it doesn’t cut into dining time.

1 Like

Loved reading this! Thanks!

1 Like

We’re working with Gina too, and have on previous trip, she’s great!

Thanks so much for all of this info, I’m so glad to hear you had a great time, and appreciate hearing your frustrations/criticisms as much as about all the cool stuff!

1 Like