I'm going to be honest. I pretty much think Universal sucks

that ------- mafia is the bomb!

1 Like

Not an issue with partying for us, loud pop music and lots of people in the afternoon heat is too much for my family of introverts.

I have had zero issues with drunk people at UOR and I have attended HHN the last 2 years in early September in addition to my other family trips.

I haven’t had any issues with drunk people in Epcot either though I have seen plenty of drinking team shirts and groups doing Drinking Around the World. My aunt and uncle had a bad experience with World Showcase on a Saturday in October during F&W. We tend to go WDW in late May and June though.

1 Like

My reply was directed for OP. Glad you like Universal as much as I do too. :smiley:

1 Like

I figured as much, but wanted to reiterate that UOR does not have a drunks problem at present (we have only visited regularly in the last 3 years). I have not been to UOR during Mardi Gras though, so good question!

I didn’t see any drunk people ever. Actually, I didn’t really see anyone really doing it up for Mardi Gras at all besides at the parade.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan either. The City Walk walkthrough is annoying but mostly it is the rides. They are largely jarring for my back. When I leave I must sit on ice for a while to get feeling back in my foot. I don’t go to a theme park to be in pain so I don’t spend much time at Universal.

2 Likes

Reading this thread, I’m going to count myself as a blessed person. I have never had problems with drunks at Universal, I have enjoyed the street entertainment I have seen, I have never been injured on a ride (unlike Space Mountain), and while I could take or leave CityWalk, I do not consider the walk through it to be so miserable that it leaves me grumbling.

6 Likes

Was just there for Mardi Gras and no drunk problems at all. I must disagree about Epcot though during the Food and Wine Festival. Drunk people running into others a lot.

3 Likes

Sorry, my post’s wording was confusing. I agree with you about F&W.

I have never attended F&W, but I have heard first hand resorts from family members that drunks are an issue during this event.

We travel in May and June and have not had issues with drunks at EP during those times (non festival season in June and Flower & Garden in May).

1 Like

Well overall sounds like it just wasn’t parks that were a fit for me. No worries. Not everything is for everyone. And it’s nice that it’s an awesome place for so many of you. I will however say again how much I loved Cabana Bay. Such a great great great resort. I can’t say enough good things about it. I highly recommend it.

1 Like

We just stayed a the Royal Pacific and it was OK. The bathroom sucked however. Beds were to die for and the pillows were great. Would have done Cabana Bay but did a package deal and got the Express Pass and all ticketing.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the only bad thing about Cabana Bay is it not including express passes

So glad there’s something out there for everyone. I’m so excited about both Universal parks when we get there, I don’t even notice CityWalk! We absolutely love the greater number of thrill rides at Universal (and BG and SW). Never as overcrowded as WDW and we skip lines on all the rides. Love what you love and skip the rest.

4 Likes

Universal isn’t Disney. Once you’re over that hump you’re good.

8 Likes

Good point…and, in fact, I think if Universal just set out to recreate Disney, it would have failed. Instead, they decided to be something altogether different, which is why Universal has gone from being the parks people go to because they can’t afford Disney to the parks people go to as an add-on to Disney, to finally the parks people go to instead of Disney.

8 Likes

Just having come back from Universal I have to say it is much different from WDW. Most of their rides are screen based and will shake the crap out of you. On the other and many Disney rides are easy going and relaxing. They both have there thrill rides by for a old bugger like me I prefer the tamer rides. Food at Universal can not compare to the food at WDW. No buffets. Why is this important to me? Because I am diabetic and have to watch what I eat as far as Carbs are concerned. Citywalk is great but Disney Spring isn’t bad either. Universal looks so big in there adds but really they are quite small compared to all the parks at WDW. No Magical Express at Universal but rather a shuttle service you pay extra for. Now I don’t do water parks so I will not comment on the differences here. Sorry everyone but WDW is still my top choice. Most say you can do Universal in two to three days and I have to agree. One saving grace for Universal. Butter Beer and Voodoo Donut.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. I love some of the rides, and the Harry Potter worlds are amazing, but the whole ‘vibe’ at Universal/IOA is kind of sterile and bland compared the immersive magic you get at Disney. I know they are very different parks, but Universal tends to feel like a really nice Amusement Park, while Disney feels like a unique destination.

2 Likes

See, this statement has always perplexed me. People often talk about how immersive Disney is, and while I love Disney World, I just would not consider it immersive. I will say I have not been to Pandora or Galaxy’s Edge; I am going on everything prior to that. I would say that walking through Superhero Island or the Simpsons area in Universal is about as immersive as anything I see in Disney World, and the Wizarding World is far superior to anything I’ve seen. What am I missing???

6 Likes

I can not see your point as far as the world of Harry Potter is concerned. Two sides here on being Diagon Alley which is mainly crowded area with many little shops to waste your money. Example, Magic Wand at $55 a piece. Nothing immersive about that. Once you leave it becomes a stick. Leaky Claudron was good but I would not call it immersive. Now the Hogwarts Express was interesting but not overly exciting. The ride at the Hogwarts Castle is a ruff one. Almost hurled before getting off. Three Broomsticks was good as food goes in Universal but not immersive by any means. So how much did the Harry Potter movies and books mean in the over all experience? Not much really. Now riding the Banchee in FOP was immersive. Best ride ever.

1 Like

For me, it’s about the parks and the employees. At Universal, it seems like employees are theme-park workers. At Disney, it feels like employees are part of the whole experience. If I’m paying a lot of money for a theme-park experience, I want the most complete experience I can get - and I get that magic at Disney.

3 Likes