I'm Curious

I hadn’t been to Disney since 2009 when we went in October, but I have another trip planned for May. I’m thinking family trips typically every other year. Shorter trips by myself or with friends or one kiddo, maybe once a year. My husband has fun, but is of the mindset that the world is too big to go to Disney World all the time (but he doesn’t mind hanging out in the same cabin in the woods every summer).

We’re trying at least one “magical extra” each trip. Next trip it will be renting a cabana at Typhoon Lagoon. I want to do at least one character meal each trip (at least until all the kids are grown).

One and done…probably the Pirate League, possibly MNSSHP, Epcot on a Saturday (:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:), TREX in Disney Springs, Lefou’s Brew, Jedi Training @ HS, Beauty and the Beast show @ HS, Test Track, Frozen Ever After, Enchanted Tales with Belle…can’t think of what else.

I’m okay with switching things up. Last trip we did MK multiple days AND MNSSHP so our next trip we are going to skip it (which I’m mostly comfortable with). This time we’re trying a water park and two character meals we haven’t tried (Storybook Dining and 1900 Park Fair). I am a person that loves routine and tradition, but at Disney I’m really excited to keep trying new and different things.

I usually go every other year. I change up who I go with, friends…family…this trip (next month’s) I’m taking my mom for the 2nd time.

Things that are a must for me: Haunted Mansion, Casey’s for Mini Corn Dogs, Dole Whip, Spaceship Earth, Star Tours, Hollywood Tower Hotel, Hollywood Brown Derby, a safari

One and done for me are the waterparks, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents…that’s about it

For the most part, we change it up mostly in the restaurants we try. We’ll try to pick one big event to do (this time its Highway in the Sky Dine Around) and then mix it up and try new dining where we can. Everything else is just a variation on the same…all 4 parks, relying on the touring plans to do the best. I know that there are so many things my mom didn’t get to see on our last trip (she was sick on Epcot day, she’s never ridden the monorail), I’ll prioritize those this time.

MotFO = March of the First Order. You know, I couldn’t figure it out myself the second time round!! :joy::joy:
I am useless at acronyms…

I went twice as a kid - 1976 and 1980? I went when I was in college in 1991 and didn’t go back until 2008 when I went with DH, kids, and my parents. We went again in 2014. Last year it was just me and DH and youngest son - for the longest stay ever at 7 nights - and the three of us are going again in July. We are hooked after last year but will probably take a break of a year after our July trip.

My must do’s are Soarin at Epcot, FoP and KS at AK, Star Tours and TSMM and Fantasmic at HS, and too many at MK to list here! I love eating at CRT in MK and GG in Epcot. We also really enjoyed Rain Forest Cafe at AK - cheesy I know but son loved it.

My one and done’s are Astro Orbiter (I do NOT like that ride!), Figment, ETWB…

This year I am looking forward to several “firsts” including NRJ, SDD, AS2, Tom Sawyer;s Island, KRR, FoTLK, and a Dole Whip - I have never had one!!!

We used to go every year when the kids were little in the early 2000’s, but as they got older started traveling more to learn and explore- we were geotourists before that was even a thing. And the kids love museums of all kinds. About that time, the cost of a trip to Disney (in a way that we considered to be fun- so… not on a budget) started to become competitive with a trip to Europe or diving in Hawaii. So eventually we just started going to those places (plus tons of camping, skiing & backpacking locally). We’ve been to almost all of the countries in the WS. Plus all the major US cities and parks. Except the Grand Canyon, oddly enough.

The last time we went was 2012, I agree with @qwerty6 that the value proposition has changed. But I just wanted to do something fun that I know the kids ALL would enjoy- DS26 doesn’t dive and doesn’t want to leave the country because it’s a bit of a hassle with his security clearance.

It’s so fun watching the three of them together at WDW- okay it’s not what I’d call an enriching experience but as family time, it just can’t be beat. Everyone is just so thrilled to be going back again after a long hiatus- so much is new and all of it is exciting.

We never miss EE, POTC or HM. Love EPCOT- all of it, Scifi Diner. Hard pass on Peter Pan, Figment, character meet & greets, Country Bears

We’ve been going 3 times a year for the last 2 years. before that it was once a year. We take one long trip (10 days) and 2 shorter trips (4-5 days, usually a long holiday weekend)

We’ve been going to Trader Sam’s on each trip for a while now. I’m trying to ride Rock & Rollercoaster each time. Not sure how many more years I’ll have that in me!

BOG is officially a “done” for us. We’ve eaten there more than once and only went on this last trip so that my in-laws could experience it. It’s a dud for breakfast and lunch. There are so many cons to that place.

I like to make sure there’s something new each trip. One goal is to stay at each resort. We stayed WL this time and loved it so much. We try to balance out the park days fairly evenly so we don’t have the regret after not spending enough time at say AK. On the long trips, we hit each part at least twice. As long as 10 days may seem, we never set foot in Adventureland at all on the last trip. I’ll probably have stress dreams about not riding Pirates!
The trade off is, we went to the GF and had tea. It was amazing. So many choices and so much to do.

1 Like

Both my DW and I went as kids (3x for me, 2x for her). We then honeymooned there in 2004 and went mostly every October after that, up until we had kids. Took a long break after our first son was born (now DS8), decided we aren’t doing that for our second (DS-20mos). We went last April when he was 10 mos old, and had a great time. Going with an infant wasn’t as insane as we thought it would be. Our plan was then to go again in 2-3 years.

In October, we got a PIN code in the mail from Disney. Props to Disney Marketing, it worked. Getting the mailer got DW and I to talk about how.much fun we had had and our desire to go back, probably before Galaxy’s Edge opens so we could avoid that craziness. So we booked a trip for two weeks from now. After that trip, we are thinking 2021, but we will see, you never know!

Must-Dos (compiled from myself, DW, and DS8):
MK: BTMR, 7DMT, Splash, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Pooh, IaSW, BoG lunch, Dole Whip, Buzz, Peoplemover
Epcot: Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Soarin, Nemo, Frozen, World Showcase
DHS: Midway Mania, Star Tours, ToT. We will see about SDD and AS2.
AK: Safari, FoP, Everest

Other: Beaches and Cream, Riding the Monorail at least once, relaxing by the pool, walking on the boardwalk.

We don’t always get to all of our must dos, but that’s the general list. And we always try to add in new/different experiences on every trip.

1 Like