If park reservations go…

This was the case at the beginning and stayed the case at DLR. Your memeory is accurate!

2 Likes

Where can I find these?!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Oh phew. I’m in my late 40s so… :rofl:

2 Likes

Aw thank you. I tried to take the advice of @Randall1028 from a TR he did a couple years ago about taking time to line up my camera and to play around with camera settings before the trip but I’ve yet to master it. His trip photos during my pandemic isolation while waiting for kids to become vaccine eligible were life giving during some pretty somber days. Inspired me to take more photos on my own trips.

We’ve got strolling through WS and AK at the “golden hour” penciled into our theoretical plans for next month to try and capture some good photos. I will make sure to share plenty. My DS wants to try a live TR this time and maybe a scavenger hunt type of game so we’ll see.

8 Likes

Because of this.

December 16, 2019 before 6AM. You had to be in the park to get a boarding group.

5 Likes

Thank you for confirming I was not crazy

4 Likes

This was about 3 weeks before we did the same thing at the same time.

1 Like

If you want to go on a wild ride, re-read this thread with the history of the opening of Rise of the Resistance. It was insane, and I think a lot of us have probably forgotten the details. Updating this thread used to be my second full-time job. :rofl:

This is the timeline as best as I can ascertain from this and other articles I just searched through, but someone can fact check me:

It started out where you had to arrive at the park before opening and be through the tapstiles before you could get a BG. (I used to tell people to show up between 5-5:30am for a 6am opening. :flushed:) But then as @ThorKat noted, in January 2020 they instituted 7am, 10am, and 2pm drop times for VQ. The 7am could be acquired from home, but the 10am and 2pm drop times had to be acquired from inside HS.

Then Covid hit and when they reopened on July 15th, the drop times were 10am, 1pm (to avoid drawing guests at 2pm hopping time), and 4pm. But then they very quickly dropped the 4pm time and moved the 1pm drop back to 2pm (as of July 24, 2020), leaving 10am and 2pm drops, both of which you had to be in the park for.

I’ve lost track of what happened when after that and I’m too lazy to keep researching. :rofl:

5 Likes

And this was pre-covid so no park ressies then, right?

I missed that in real time but am glad to read that’s how it worked back then.

2 Likes

Lol, no wonder I couldn’t get on RotR in Feb’20 on our half day cruise excursion to DHS. I was a WDW noob then :slight_smile:

I’ll take $ILL in preference to that pre-6am mob any day.

4 Likes

Yes because that was how I rode it a few times before Covid. I don’t have first hand knowledge of anything between re-opening and December 2020 because Cancer. I didn’t leave the house except to go to the Dr and a beach very early in the morning before anyone else was there :grin:

4 Likes

I know they had dropped VQ altogether at one point…I remember being pissy about it- we had 5 trips before that and never got on…we were on trip 6 and the announcement was made that it would start day AFTER I left…

2 Likes

When I went in May 2021, they still had VQ for RotR and I got a BG every day of our trip. When I went in early October 2021, Remy had just opened and had VQ, but for RotR there was Standby Only.

Then in mid-October 2021 they instituted Genie+, which had ILL but no VQ for RotR. However, for Remy you could ride with both ILL and VQ when Genie+ first launched (or shortly thereafter - there might have been a short time when it was still VQ only). I think Remy kept VQ until a bit before Cosmic Rewind opened. (Seems like they only like to have one VQ at a time.)

1 Like

I actually upgraded our mobiles after that that trip-

Still have a serious distain for VQ- I personally I prefer the buy a ILL than go through that nonsense again…Don’t care if I sound bratty but I think on-site guests should get first dibs for VQ and or ILLs, and no way should an on-site resort guest need an APR…

Eww I guess I am still pretty pissy about it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Seriously it was RotR VQ that changed a lot about how I feel about disney currently…

2 Likes

3 years ago today is when we got up at 4am to ride ROTR! It was a FB memory

16 Likes

Athena looks soooo different in this pic! Crazy what a difference 3 years make!

4 Likes

We were in Disney in December 2020. I know we left 20 December. Possibly arrived 13 December and went to HS around 15 or 16 Dec.

I thought the afternoon BG drop was 1pm. I don’t recall at all when the morning drop was since I wasn’t planning to experience RotR anyway. Someone - my sister or niece - got the BG for them and the kid.

First week in September 2019 was our last WDW trip prior to covid. SWGE opened three days before we arrived. Folks camped out along the walkway from Boardwalk to HS.
DS and DN went at EMH rope drop one morning. Kind of happy and kinda disappointed. They were done by the time the rest of us entered at regular opening time, 2 hours later. I think they like SWGE much better now tho I don’t think they care to ride the Falcon any.

1 Like

For our trip in dec 2019 we flew in from the west coast and did animal kingdom after hours (which was so great) and then I woke up at 5am to go to HS while everyone else slept. If I recall correctly the week we were there they switched from being able to get a boarding group as soon as you tapped in (what I did that morning) to trying for a bg at 7am (what we did for the whole family a few days later). Definitely stressful to try to keep track of it all and my DH thought I was nuts, but being at HS at 6am with a boarding group and getting multiple rides on ToT and RnR and then being back at the hotel by 9:30am was pretty awesome.

3 Likes