If I'm going to splurge... (yes, another round of decision making)

• Contemporary Main Building Lake View
  • Grand Floridian Outer Building Garden View
  • AKL Savanna View
  • Saratoga Springs Studio Preferred
  • Saratoga Springs 1BR Preferred
  • Boardwalk Inn Garden View

0 voters

So in my own version of “revenge travel”, since I can’t do the trip I wanted to over my birthday (my parents decided to go to the Crafts Fair in Asheville, NC just after my birthday when I’d had the idea to travel to Nashville for said birthday - and the B&B they are staying in is sold out, ergo no trip home for me), I’ve decided to bump my Disney trip up from Pop to a Deluxe or DVC. The options in the price range I’m comfy with are above. (There is a WL Courtyard King, but I’ve invited my sister to come and we’d need 2 beds, so that’s out.)

They all have the EEH pros and some others, but they all have their cons as well…

Contemporary Lake View:
Pros - Walking distance to MK; I may not ever see it at this price again; one building; check it off the list
Cons - not necessarily thrilled with the Incredibles theme

Grand Floridian:
Pros - DEFINITELY won’t see it at this rate ever again; walking to MK; check it off the list
Cons - may feel “not fancy enough for this place”; construction going on, so room will be older; outer building

AKL Savanna View:
Pros - animals; one building; zebra domes
Cons - there is the distance factor (while I’m not “allergic” to busses, it’s something to consider)

Saratoga Springs: (these go for both options)
Pros - among the least expensive options (especially the studio); walk to and from Disney Springs; the 1BR has a washer/dryer so I could pack lighter than I usually do (which is already light)
Cons - it’ll be a walk to their QS; bus to theme parks

Boardwalk Inn:
Pros - also among the least expensive options; walk to Epcot (and Studios if I close a day there); one building
Cons - another that hasn’t been redone recently; lack of QS (where the heck do you refill a mug); has not really been one on my radar - though that was largely because of the previous It pool

Thoughts??

1 Like

I’m going to make an unpopular comment. If you are an open to close park person and all you do is sleep at a resort then the expense of a deluxe resort is wasted IMHO.

I don’t necessarily do open to close. I’ll also have most of Tuesday at the resort - other than a trip to Boathouse for lunch.

1 Like

Ahhh see that’s different. Is that one place you’ve never stayed at? Try something new

The only ones I’ve stayed at before are AKL and SSR.

1 Like

I think you can refill a mug at the pool bar and the bakery? BW.

1 Like

I was struggling between CR and BWI, but ultimately chose CR bc it’s harder to find decent rates there vs BW so I say go big. GF is just not that great as a home base. Love visiting for the restaurants, but I’ve stayed there twice now and both times were just meh. And I thought their qs was among the worst for DVC resorts.

1 Like

@PrincipalTinker has stayed at BW a lot. She might know

1 Like

Oh QS at GF is a really small footprint considering the amount of rooms they have

2 Likes

It’s also on the opposite side of the resort from the DVC building.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, there’s that Too

1 Like

I wouldn’t be in DVC. It’s just a regular Outer Building Garden View.

2 Likes

The only DVC in the picture is SSR. All the others are regular rooms.

2 Likes

I like the walk to MK from GF better than the one from CR. IDK why just do…. All green :thinking: maybe. No parking lots or streets to cross

1 Like

It is a nice walk. I did it all the way around to the Poly when I stayed in one of their studios in Feb 2021.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve been wanting to do that.

1 Like

Not sure how feasible that is now with the Poly tower construction. Assuming it’s still possible, that gives me Capt Cook’s as a QS also.

1 Like

I haven’t stayed in any of these yet so hard to vote. I would probably pick AKL but only if you are going to have time to sit and enjoy that view. Otherwise I’d probably like to be near Epcot or DS for more food options.

5 Likes

In the Boardwalk Bakery I believe. There is actually tons of quick service on the boardwalk depending on time of day. There is Boardwalk Bakery, Boardwalk Ice Cream, The Pizza Window and all the carts that have funnel cakes, hot dogs and the like on the boardwalk past a certain time. The bar by the staircase down to the boardwalk on the Inn Side has light snacks too I believe like muffins, etc. They might also fill your drink, but definitely Boardwalk Bakery will.

AKL with Savanna view would be my first choice so far of where I’ve stayed for most magical but Boardwalk Inn is a close 2nd to me and I liked the garden view. It’s quiet and relaxing compared to the boardwalk or pool views. It’s so convenient for 2 parks and I adore the theming. However, the animals at AKL are just magical and so is the main entry to the main part of the lodge. Really good food too. So I chose that but I’d go Boardwalk in a heartbeat too. On the other hand if you’re like me and have a list of places you want to try Grand Flo is on my to do list as well but I don’t feel uncomfortable in that environment anymore. And Contemporary is a very very short walk. I do not like the feel of that resort myself but if you’ve never stayed and like that modern (from the perspective of the 70s) look then I can see either of these as well. SSR would be last on my list of these unless the price was considerably cheaper or it was a long stay where I want to wash clothes and have a kitchen.

4 Likes

I saw people walking between from the boat last week. Could change but as of then it was still possible.

2 Likes