Ideas for a Disney Surprise Splurge

If you go with #1, you could wrap up something representative when you book it and give to her as an early birthday gift. Just moves the timing of the surprise. Or wrap a series of hints you let her unwrap leading up to her birthday. “Your first hint is a surprise on your Visa”.

For #2, you could wrap a box of envelopes for her to open on her birthday with each surprise on a note in it, writing on each envelope when she’s allowed to open it. (If you add any along the way, you just slip her more envelopes.)

I love surprises! For one of my husband’s birthdays, we had a progressive multiple choice date night. After each activity, he got a new set of choices. “Which of these 3 restaurants for dinner?” Then “A movie, a bar with a band, or billiards?” “Which late night ice cream place?” Etc.

On another, the kids and I took him to 4 novel ice cream places he had never been to, interspersed with a baseball game and meals. (He love ice cream.)

1 Like

My DH has that financial problem, too. I’m always watching the bills, so I see when he buys me something. You could just ask her not to look or just say it’s a surprise. She’ll know it’s from Disney and a surprise, but she won’t know what it is.

2 Likes

This is a tough choice! Not sure how long you want to wait to make the final decision. I just called last week to book the VIP tour and I just booked the dessert party and we are going in April (during Easter so fairly crowded). I can give feedback about the tour after that.

The nice part about small splurges is that it’s not all done in one day-so I’m leaning towards that. The minnie van, 1/2 day cabana and dessert party are all things my family (and I) would love and appreciate. I’m not sure about the rhinos or caring for giants. From what I’ve read, there is not enough up close and personal interactions with the animals for my family to love it. I would put that $$ towards a nice dinner…maybe at Sanaa…if I remember correctly that might overlook the Savannah? I know others here can tell you more about that.

1 Like

Both sound really great and you know her best.

But I have to say I really love #2! Could there be a little surprise everyday? Sounds like she would feel so special and also fun to see what you could have planned next. Seems a lot of thought would go into it and I know that means a lot.

I’ll add my response is from someone who does not do roller coaster so if your wife is all about the thrills that could be a winner.

1 Like

Starting to lean more and more towards the 2nd idea. Figment, we are thinking alike, I started a day event list and started to try to fill it in, coming up short a few days, but not each day has to be big, some can be smaller surprises.

While the VIP tour looks greT, there is one ride her and my daughter would sit out on (RNRC) and while being whisked around Disney by a tour guide would be cool, at the end of the day, we wouldn’t be doing anything that we are not already going to be able to do during our week there. On a tight schedule, I think I would have gone that route, but the week of surprises could make this a week to remember vs a day to remember.

Going to re look at the Rhino experience… Her and my son love animals and are big into the secrets of the zoo show. Thought that may be a nice hour diversion.

Thanks again for all the help. Any smaller ideas to fill in the week are appreciated.

1 Like

I am the author of the Ultimate trip report that was referenced earlier in the post and I will say that it was an awesome tour but it was also very fast paced. We did it primarily because we were only there for a couple of days and we weren’t able to get fast passes for any of the big rides (since we were booking at day 60+1 and day 60.
You are also with a larger group so it loses some of the “specialness” from that standpoint.

I would also vote for option 2. The HEA dessert party is awesome!! She will love that

2 Likes

Thank you! That is reaffirming.

Just need to find a couple more “surprises” and I think I have a full week.

The pick a pearl at Epcot is a fun little extra. It only 17 $ per oyster and they make a big show of it to make it memorable. Then you can get the pearls set into jewelry (which is where the cost goes up). I’m not sure if your wife would be into it but I think your kids would love it. You can buy pearl cages/jewelry ahead of time on Etsy for relative cheap.

2 Likes

This is becoming fun! OK, quick update, I am all in on option #2 now. I also decided to bring in a special helper, despite the risk it carries that she will blow the surprise.

My ds7 is horrendous at keeping secrets…no way he can know about this, the cat will be out of the bag in no time. my dd8 on the other hand can be better at this and loves to be the big helper and be involved in planning things. So this morning I took advantage of some alone time with her and asked if she could 1) keep the biggest secret I have entrusted her with; and 2) be part of planning something special for Mom’s bday.

She jumped all over this and her face lit up with excitement. She is all in, and I think she’s old enough to know how special keeping this a secret is, not just from her Mom, but from her brother as well.

So the two of us and involved in operation bday surprise and she loves the idea. I am letting her make a couple of the decisions and making her feel part of this as well, whcih will even add to the joy for my dw I believe.

Plan so far:
Sunday: Arrival day, still may go Minnie Van, but in the air. ME is already booked, may just roll with it. But, on arrival day I am going to have my daughter get her Mom a Birthday button at check in and we will reveal a special birthday autograph board we will have signed during the week and hunt a frame while we are there for it.
Monday: DD is going to help me pick out matching shirts for dw’s bday and we are going to pack them in secret. Only when she wakes up that morning will she know we have the shirts.
Tuesday: 1900 Park Far day, which is my DD’s choice. Looking for something special to add on to the dinner for my dw (1900 Park Fare Dinner - Any special adds on's available here?).
Wednesday: Fantasmic Dinner Package - Already planned, but this was my dw’s pick as she wanted to see the show again. Fit’s in well with what we are doing.
Thursday: Afternoon pool cabana rental at Contemporary (may still do GF as well, but doing Epcot in the am and staying at Bay Lake. For convenience of being right there, I think we will say at Contemporary for this. An area I got my dd involved with, let her pick the morning session the day we have dinner at 1900 Park Fare (rest day) or the rest afternoon and evening we have planned. After some thought, I loved her answer: hmmm…I think Mom would really enjoy the evening at the pool. Love having her a part of this.
Friday: Kitchen Sink at B&C - She knows about B&C, but we were not planning on Kitchen Sink…until NOW. This will be fun for the whole family.
Saturday: The highlight of the plan, Tomorrowland Terrace Desert Party. Thought about keeping this a secret from even my dd, but she lit up when we read the description together. My wife loves HEA and this is sure to be a great way to spend out last night.
Sunday: Departure day, thinking this will just be a good day to let her buy something special that she normally would not do. Going to keep an eye out during the week on things she lingers on or talks about, but doesn’t get.

Extra: Just keeping my eyes open for anything that will add a little extra magic to the birthday celebration. Ideas like the pick a pearl and others may fit nicely into these extras. Ideas still welcome. It is starting to come together, just need to get reservations made and execute the plan.

12 Likes

I love your plan and that you involved your DD! That will certainly make it extra special. One other thought is having something waiting in the room when you arrive if you decide not to do the Minnie Van. I’ve never ordered but they have tons of options. Disney Floral and Gifts

Looked at this a few days ago… But all I seemed to notice was the big welcome packages.

On your link I see a few things that could be a great fit for this. Another thing I can have my DD pick out.

Thanks!

Make sure to take pictures of the autograph board as you go so you can have a fallback plan if something happens to it!

Can I just say that you are doing some next level spousing, and that simply the amount of thought and planning you’re putting into this will make her happy. Kudos.

5 Likes

Ok so…my family of 6 did the fireworks dessert party at Tomorrowland terrace and it was just ok. It was nice to not have to fight for a spot to see the fireworks, but we still had to get up and stand at the railing to get a good view. The view from our table was not that great. You’re not guaranteed at table in front. The view is also a side view of the fireworks, just something to note. They will clearly be on the side of the castle from that location. Still beautiful of course. The desserts were very basic and underwhelming. I’m glad we did it once, but it’s a one and done for us. A private fireworks cruise sounds amazing! But it also sounds pricey! Im sure whatever you choose will be perfect and your wife will love it! You’ll be at Disney after all :blush:

1 Like

At least an hour - so much fun!

Alright, just thought since this forum was so helpful in creating this, I would provide an update on how the planning in going.

I will start out by saying this has been a lot of fun and my DD9 has had a blast with it. She loves all the “secret conversations” she gets to have since she knows something others don’t.

Sunday: Ordered a “Disney Family Treats Tote – Minnie Mouse” from Disney Floral & Gifts to be delivered to the room on arrival day. We also created special Birthday autograph cards to be signed and used as a special keepsake.
Monday: DD has picked out matching Disney 40th birthday shirts. We have decided to give these to her on her actual birthday before hand and introduce the week of surprises at that time.
Tuesday: 1900 Park Far day - Pictures at the GF photo pass spot and a special bottle of wine for dinner.
Wednesday: Fantasmic Dinner Package - Already planned, but this was my dw’s pick as she wanted to see the show again. Fit’s in well with what we are doing.
Thursday: Afternoon pool cabana rental at Contemporary’s feature pool.
Friday: Kitchen Sink at B&C - She knows about B&C, but we were not planning on Kitchen Sink…until NOW. This will be fun for the whole family.
Saturday: Capture the Moment photo session at MK when we return to MK for…
Tomorrowland Terrace Desert Party. DW loves HEA and this is sure to be a great way to spend out last night.

17 Likes

would love to know what you think of this!

Will definitely post after we get back.

Will say, I am waiting to see some reviews after the castle construction starts.

Same here - I would have purchased capture the moment but don’t want to spend extra to have cranes in my photos. :frowning:

We used a similar service at Aulani - we booked a photopass photographer for a private session for 20 min and loved it.

The thing about option 2 is that it extends the fun for days.

1 Like