I wasn't planning on touring SW:GE, but now I have a thought ... Would this be reasonable?

DW and my kids (DD4 and DS2) have no interest in seeing SW:GE so it is not in our touring plan for our October trip.

We are planning to be at DHS from 8 am to 1 pm to do TSL, Frozen Sing-A-Long, and lunch. The plan was to go back to the resort to nap/rest from 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm, and then dinner and HEA at MK.

But, it just occurred to me …

Would it be reasonable to suggest to DW that she take the kids back to the resort in a Minnie Van and that I will stay at DHS to explore SW:GE while she and the kids nap? Of course, this all assumes I can get into SW:GE that afternoon, but if so, I would have a few hours to at least explore the land even if the MFSR run line was too long.

I know from prior trips that DW will want to nap that afternoon while the kids nap whether I go back to the resort or not (so it’s not like she would want the afternoon at the parks herself).

The question is whether it’s asking too much for her to Minnie Van back to the resort and get the kids ready for nap without my help while we are on vacation.

I know DW is the only one who can answer this question so I plan to talk to her about it. But I’m curious as to the Liner opinion …

1 Like

In the bank of marriage, you want want to make a deposit somewhere else before taking a withdraw. For example, she gets a break or something else she wants to do while you handle the kids.

FYI: Never bounce a check at this institution.

You onsite? Can you take bus/mini van to park early for EEMH? Or can she drive back and you take mini van/uber?

Unless at max capacity, definitely help her with getting kids into car.

7 Likes

I second @wallacefam on this. Perhaps offer to spend time with kids at the pool on another day to give your DW a break?

1 Like

Same as the first 2 replies. If she likes to nap in the afternoon, she could stay in the parks one night while you Minnie Van back and handle bedtime. I’d love to switch off free time like this with my DH but would get angry if he only suggested that I watch the kids while he did GE! (I’ll also add that when our first 2 kids were 2 and 4, DH wouldn’t have felt comfortable handling park transportation and bedtime in a hotel on his own. So of course only ask of your wife something that you’re willing to do in return.)

5 Likes

I agree with the previous replies, tit for tat and all that. I also wanted to mention that if you move forward with this plan you should look at getting yourself a reservation for Oga’s (or Droid Depot or Savi’s if you’re willing to spend the money) so you are assured entrance into the land at the time that you want.

6 Likes

We all need a special treat from time to time. Do not forget this is YOUR vacation too! It is OK to ask you partner to do a little extra. That’s what a good marriage is about. I help you… you help me and we take care of each other.

Pampering them with a Minnie Van to make the transportation easier is a great idea. I would walk with your DW and kids to the Minnie Van and see them off safely. Then I’d go tap back into DHS and have a blast at SWGE.

5 Likes

darkmite2 - you said exactly what I think!

1 Like

Been with my wife, basically, since we were 16… Almost 30 years. I’m full of useful advice on how to have a happy relationship. :wink:

1 Like

that’s funny darkmite2 because I have been with my husband since I was 15 and happily married for most of the 38 years :slight_smile: !!!

1 Like

That’s probably why we think alike!!

2 Likes

Yes this!
I wouldn’t mind taking back our kids alone to nap if DH wanted to do something on his own. But having to take the bus might make me act a bit the martyr about it in a weak moment TBH. A Minnie van is an awesome idea.

You don’t have to wait until vacation to pay it forward to her. Maybe watch the kids before you guys leave for vacation so she can get her nails done or something else special for herself?

3 Likes

My husband has done this for me. I think it’s perfectly fine. On long family trips I always plan a time to go off alone if I can. It is usually when the kids would be in bed or otherwise low maintenance.

3 Likes

Btw your post made me laugh because it is the story of my life. My plan for our HS day next spring is about the same as yours, 2 kids about the same ages - super short day, breakfast and a couple shows and then leaving at 1:30 or so for pool time before Hoop de Doo. I also wasn’t planning on touring SWGE but had a thought the other day “we’ll as long as we’re there…” I compromised with myself that at the end of our touring plan I would pencil in just to walk through the land if we feel up to it. If it sucks and it’s crowded we leave. Otherwise it’s just taking the secret longer way as we stroll to the exit.

2 Likes

Love this line!

I would be happy to do this, but DW has zero interest in going to the parks alone. She enjoys going with me (before we had kids) and now with the kids, but WDW is not her thing so she wouldn’t want to have tine at the parks for herself. Maybe she would want to sit by the pool or do something else.

We do have plans to go to dinner and the Disney Junior traveling holiday show a few weeks after our WDW trip, and DW recently asked if I would take the kids to dinner and the show (and then do bedtime) by myself so she could go to her high school reunion (which is the same night). Of course, I said “sure”.

So while it’s not tit for tat during the trip, it is relatively close in timing. I’d still be happy to take the kids and give her time alone during the trip, but I’m not sure there is anything she would want to do alone at WDW.

4 Likes

Happy you both made good long term choices in your teens. My dating choices in my teens, 20’s and (gulp) easy 30’s were not my the best decisions. Took me awhile to realize what is most important in a life partner (and what is not important). I met my wife when I was 37. She is the best and I’m very happy I waited!

3 Likes

For me, the tit for tat thing doesn’t have to be immediate, just balance out in the long run. We all recharge in different ways, and need to do so at different times.

4 Likes

That’s not an issue. I’m fine with being with the kids on my own for park transportation and putting them to bed. I’ve put them to bed by myself in a hotel before and have spent long weekends alone with them while DW has been on girls trips with her friends. If earning money were not an issue, I would love to be a stay at home Dad … but given that DW wanted to stay home full time and we would not have been able to support a family on her salary, it made sense for me to work full time.

1 Like

If this scenario was happening with my family and I could possibly seeing it happen on our September trip, wouldn’t be with my DH having a problem but my 5 year old. She would be the one pitching a fit that she would want to be included. The thing that would ruin it for me and make me feel guilty would be my DD5 crying hysterical that she wants me and DH having to deal with that.

1 Like

I would love for DD4 to experience SW:GE with me, but I asked her if she would walk around Star Wars land with me and she said “no” because she doesn’t want to see Chewbacca, Darth Vader or any other scary guys. She would be fine going back to the resort with DW and DS2 when the other options SWL.