I was not wrong but wwyd

I’m staying on site and the last few nights when we returned to our hotel our room it had a faint marijuana smell. Tonight my mom and I came back early. We went on the balcony to watch the fireworks and YES the guy next door is smoking. My mom could not take the smell. I thought about asking him to stop but my mom was afraid that it would cause more trouble. I quietly left her and went down to the concierge and said something. I say it’s not right to pollute my vacation. I’m not against smoking but not 5 feet from me in a non smoking location. I’m surprised no one else smelled it. Would you have ignored it or said something? What’s done is done, just curious.

I absolutely would have said something to the concierge! You paid good money for your non-smoking room and that’s what you should get. We have people in our family with severe asthma, so this is a hot button issue for me.

2 Likes

That’s crazy! I would have said something for sure.

1 Like

If it was my last night, I would have just let it go probably, otherwise I would have spoken to the front desk.

It was tonight.
@scrapper1617, my mom has COPD so it’s an issue for us too.

1 Like

You were definitely right to say something since it was a health issue.

I know they have special areas for smokers so I am sure they could have been politely redirected.

1 Like

Absolutely would have reported it. There are adequate smoking areas available.

1 Like

A non-smoking location is a non-smoking location, and I would have absolutely reported it.

1 Like

Totally agree with the above–no smoking means no smoking. They should have made brownies or something.

7 Likes

I would absolutely have said something - you did the right thing.

1 Like

I would have reported it - I can’t stand the smell of smoking!

1 Like

You were certainly not in the wrong. If there were respiratory health issues, I would have reported it in half a heartbeat. If no health issues, it would depend on other factors. I’ve never smoked, but a small hint of the smell in the air doesn’t bother me; if someone is “breaking the rules”, but it doesn’t really impact me, I won’t report it. I’ve been known to break other “rules” from time to time, so I’m the last one to be self-rightious. If clouds of smoke are blowing across my balcony, that would be a different story. This is a rule that I have experienced being broken virtually every WDW trip I’ve been on…

Thanks all. I’m not sure but I think my neighbor has left. It has been very quiet since I spoke up. @Redpanda yes brownies would have been a better idea.

1 Like

I think some of the posters are thinking this was tobacco. That’s a no brainer. Get your cigarette smoke out of my space. I get what your concern is because you were not just reporting a hotel violation. You were reporting an illegal act. I don’t know what the laws are for marijuanna in Florida. Personally, I would have leaned over the balcony and said “Dude, my Mom has COPD and this isn’t working for us.” But that’s me. :smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure iI’d be cool with a pot smoker in the smoking area. At the BW that area was near the bus walkway. Kids walk by there.

I didn’t want to cause trouble for him, he already has a problem thinking he could smoke pot on a hotel balcony. My mom was very fearful that the guy would become violent. In the state of Florida it is not legal to possess marijuana. After not being able to enjoy sting on the balcony, I said something.

Yes , I think some ppl missed the pot comment in my op.

1 Like

Yeah, that smoking needed to stop. I hear you. I’m going to be a kind and gentle thinker and choose to believe is was medicinal for this person. I’m sure Disney just told/reminded the guest that there was no smoking on the balconies any way.

the more important thing is that if you smelled smoke in your room and you left, then the housekeeper reports after the fact the your room has smoke you would have to pay the cleaning fee.

2 Likes

For me, it wouldn’t matter if it was a cigarette, a cigar, pot, or a crack pipe – no smoking on the balconies, and if I notice it, I’m gonna report it. Part of it is because I’m allergic to smoke, but part of it is because it could cause greater problems with no safe place to dispose of their smoldering leftovers.

2 Likes