I’ve booked it, but I can’t pay for it

Ok. I get this. But on the scale of your whole life how much does it keep you up at night?

Let me go at it again.
If you die and you never went to WDW does it even matter? Like really? Of course not.
Now. If OP already HAD a terminal illness I’d loosen up. But not because they might die.

I might die tomorrow too. I’m not going to make decisions based on that premise either.

1 Like

If you die you have bigger problems than vacation. Or credit card debt.

The way I look at it, you don’t have any problems. But your relatives might.

3 Likes

Surely the dream is to die with as much credit card debt as possible.

4 Likes

It depends. That would probably come out of my estate, and that defeats the purpose of having an estate.

I have no-one to leave money to. Dying with money in the bank will be a terrible waste.

3 Likes

Don’t worry. I’m sure the government will put it to good use! :blush:

4 Likes

Since when did you become a Democrat?!

2 Likes

I’m neither a registered Democrat nor Republican. I just have complete and utter faith that YOUR government will always do the right thing! :wink:

I wish I had that faith.

Not up to speed on Brexit I see… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brexit? What’s that?

Sounds like a type of dandruff shampoo.

2 Likes

It’s where the poorest people in a country vote to become poorer so that the richest can become richer.

ehhh a scare of a pulmonary embolism is something I would use as a factor of decision making. That’s not an every-day risk occurrence and also not something that is a conclusion one jumps to right away when things feel “off.” You don’t just determine you are experiencing a pulmonary embolism.

Are we talking about UK or US ? :grimacing:

2 Likes

Wow… great discussion! Lots of interesting viewpoints. Maybe OP should turn this into a poll after reading everything just to get a quick summary of overall thought :wink:

If I could add my 2 cents…
I’d recommend waiting and saving. 3 and 6 is maybe a little too young for a truly great Disney trip. (3 definitely, though 6 is probably just about right).

True that we don’t know what will happen in the future… but, at the end of the day, Disney is a luxury (and becoming more so all the time with their price increases and seeming desire to cater more and more to the well-to-do…or at least those willing to spend exorbitant amounts even if they can’t afford) /end rant :wink:

I say all this as someone who was privileged enough to visit Disney just about every summer growing up. Then, graduating college and getting married in 2001, and spending our first year of marriage in Orlando with Seasonal Passes (we really couldn’t afford)… Since moving away in 2002, I’ve only been back to Disney once (with my wife, before the kiddoes started coming) in 2010.

Needless to say, I have been itching to get back to WDW for almost a decade…it was such a part of the first half of my life!

It’s taken me several years to put things in perspective and understand that a WDW trip is not necessary to have a good family time. We are finally getting the ball rolling for my girl’s first trip (they will be 8 and 6)… and the trip will be paid for (and made after paying off the balances on 3 other debts).

Hopefully nothing else will come up and everything will go according to this plan… but, even if something does happen and we can’t make this trip (now or ever), it will be OK. Family is most important. We can have fun and not break the bank.

Key point…as fun and magical as it is, WDW is a luxury. I suggest saving up and plan for a trip next year and beyond. Ultimately though, the choice is yours. Figure out your own priorities and perspective and follow through with whatever choices you make. :grin:

1 Like

Testimony:

I have a WDW trip booked for next summer. I think I’m very likely to cancel it. Reason: I don’t think I can afford it.

This is a good point. I have to wonder what the episode exactly was, anyway, and the underlying health of the spouse in question. To me, healthy people don’t normally get scared by PEs- it’s just not on the radar screen. So I have to wonder why it was on his, and furthermore if there’s an underlying problem that hasn’t yet been diagnosed. Many conditions take a few trips to the Dr. to figure out, or take a while to really manifest themselves.

On the other hand, that could also be an argument not to go to WDW, in case bigger medical bills are on the horizon.

1 Like

I know my way around a PE pretty well. I’m just saying history of one is not the same as a terminal diagnosis.

GO ON THE VACATION - no question in my mind. Life is too short and sounds like you could pay this off interest free over the next year. GO FOR IT!

4 Likes