I think there may be more to life than Disney

bwhahahaha… just caught the :snowflake: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Two or three thoughts: You can have any opinion you want, and I hope you enjoy your vacation no matter where you take it, whether on a Disney cruise or some other brand.

1. I took a cruise – NCL – around the Caribbean a few years ago. It was enjoyable. There were a lot of children on board, which was … noisy. My sister and I took refuge in the bars a lot. Struck up a conversation with people who cruise a lot, got to talking about the various advantages and disadvantages. They swore the best cruise they ever took was a Disney cruise because, “Disney keeps the kids out of your hair better than any other cruise line.”

That was a few years ago. Cruise line child control may have changed in the meantime.

1. My husband’s uncle took a cruise and came back complaining, “It was like being stuck in a bus station for a week.” ROFL – I would love to know which line he was on!
3 Likes

I don’t mind the flight back. I’m usually ready to go home. And I know I’m going back to see Calvin again. And in Upper Class you get lie-flat beds, so you kinda get some decent sleep. Kinda. You certainly get decent food.

Deliberately not letting yourself see other options so you don’t have to reconsider your current opinion.

Two friends of mine confessed yesterday to never having see Friends. “I’m not interested in it,” one said. “Besides, Will & Grace is better.” Er, how can you know if you’ve never seen Friends ?

5 Likes

Just realized I say “a lot” a lot. Sigh.

4 Likes

OMG there are TOO many ppl here (in USA) that do this :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

There is a stereotype of the American tourist, but I think it’s quite outdated now. I think in general British people like America and like Americans. My experience of American tourists is that they’re overawed by what they find in Europe and love it.

My favourite moment of the Trump presidency — wow, that’s some slim pickings — was when he attended the state banquet at Windsor Castle. It was the only time I’ve ever seen him seem humbled. He can have all the money in the world, but he’ll never have what the Queen has, and the US will never have what Britain has, in terms of heritage and culture. Mar-a-Lago is nothing compared with Windsor Castle. Windsor Castle is enormous and breathtaking and a thousand years old and stuffed with art and beauty and history and incredible treasures. Oh, and open to the public, and not just millionaires.

11 Likes

Back to the point of the thread . . .

I’m probably going to pull myself back from cancelled the Magic and booking the Virtuosa. (A Virtuosa booking is literally sitting in my online shopping basket right now.)

I should give Disney a try. I should give a smaller ship a try for my first cruise. And I have kinda booked a pretty perfect package on the Magic.

But next time, if there is one, . . .

5 Likes

I can’t sleep on planes, though I’m always in economy.

2 Likes

When I was hired by a German company, the first thing I did was attend a conference in CA where they had this Mission building that was roped off so you couldn’t get close. Second thing was to visit headquarters and I stayed in a hotel that was 100 years older and considered not noteworthy.

I am really good at sleeping. It’s my special skill. I can do it anywhere, any time.

Or maybe I’m just tired a lot.

3 Likes

21 Likes

I’m wavering.

WON’T SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME?

The MSC cruises aren’t, strictly, to nowhere. There are excursions as it sails around the UK and actually stops. The Disney one just sails round and round the Irish Sea.

4 Likes

I have no help, but offer my sympathies on your struggle!

And I would also like to see our borders open - and other borders open to us! I’m hopeful that we’ll see more movement as vaccination rates climb around the globe.

2 Likes

Have you studied the ship layouts? Maybe see if you can find copies of the daily itineraries onboard to compare activities onboard? Disney calls them Navigators.

Childcare may decide it.

The thing about the MSC ship is that it is so huge. There is so much to see and do. And it’s genuinely all-inclusive.

Maybe this is a grass-is-greener situation.

2 Likes

Do you want to be on a ship the whole time or do you want to be able to see some things on land? To me, as nice as cruise ships can be, it’s a mode of transportation that has a nice balcony with a view.

1 Like

For me it’s a destination in its own right.

4 Likes

Then stick with the shorter Disney cruise and see how it goes. That’s my vote.

4 Likes

I think this is a good course of action. I will add that my oldest DD and family have gone on bigger cruises to tour and have loved them. The love both the BIG BIG ships w/ everything and their stops. They take full advantage of the stops to get off and tour too.

3 Likes

Both options sound lovely. Since you’ve already booked the Disney cruise, maybe try that first and then you’ll always have that to compare to future cruises. I’ve only taken one cruise. It was 7 nights and too long. I’ve found as I’ve gotten older, I now much prefer shorter vacations, around 3, 4 nights max. This way I can get back to my dog and don’t feel like I’ve been away too long. Plus shorter trips mean I can travel more frequently and then have something to look forward to.

2 Likes