I don't get splash mountain

Splash Mountain is consistently rated as a top attraction… but I also read how soaked you can get. Planning my family trip, I really don’t want to be walking around soaked all day. Is the drench factor overblown? Does everyone wear ponchos? Do you schedule it so that it comes right before you leave the park, or before a mid-day break?

Splash Mountain is one of my absolute favorite rides. If you sit in the front row, you will get wet. You can also ride it and stay pretty dry. It just depends. On a very hot day, it feels wonderful to get splashed a bit. The ride is longer than most attractions, the theming is fun, and you get some great views of the park.

6 Likes

We did an unscientific test last year. DS12, who LOVES Splash, decided he and I would sit in every position (which meant DW and DMiL were automatically guinea pigs) and see where we got the wettest. For us, the only constant was Grandma always got soaked, no matter what. For the rest of us it seemed kind of random.

It is a great ride. Long, visually entertaining, good soundtrack. Even when it’s cool the wet part is not too bad.

7 Likes

I’ve riddden many times and only gotten very wet once.

5 Likes

Kali River Rapids on the other hand…complete drenching! :smile:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say soaked just sprinkled :slight_smile: it’s a great ride… Don’t miss it!!

3 Likes

We use ponchos. I know, I know…not probably the hippest thing to do but it does keep us dry and we can enjoy and continue on with our day. With that said, even with the poncho, our heads have been drenched before…mostly when sitting in front.

3 Likes

I’ve only gotten really truly honestly soaked once. If it’s a big concern, ask to be seated in the back two rows of your log. Ponchos are also an option. They may not be the coolest thing ever, as @pamperedpup noted, but they’re practical. If being wet will ruin your day, poncho up and forget the haters. :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Like you, I hate walking around in wet clothes, so I avoided Splash Mountain my first adult trip to MK. When my dear BFF found out about this, she shrieked in disgust and threatened to unfriend me if I did not at least once experience Splash Mountain, one of her favorite attractions at MK. The next trip, I sucked up my disdain for wet rides and begrudgingly committed to the ride. I am now a believer. I could not imagine a trip to MK without riding Splash Mountain at least once. And I will say that I have managed to stay relatively dry by requesting to be in the back, but would not be ashamed to wear a poncho if needed to enjoy a trip down the mountain. So poncho if you must. This Zip-a-dee-doo-dah delight is absolutely worth it!

7 Likes

Ha ands down my favorite in MK and one oft favorites in WDW. Front is wetter than back, but only once in dozens of rides did I get “really” wet.

2 Likes

I’d say getting “soaked” is the rarity, but can happen to the front. They can dial down the splash factor on cooler days, so the wetter you get, the hotter it is, the more likely you are to dry quickly.

3 Likes

[quote=“Crasstastic, post:1, topic:10572”]
Is the drench factor overblown?[/quote]

Short answer = yes. I’ve never been soaked on Splash Mountain. Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom gets you soaked. Splash Mountain will likely “splash” you a little.

Slightly longer answer. The “splash” factor at Splash Mountain changes at different times of the year. When the weather is colder, some of the water jets are turned down/turned off and there is considerably less moisture in your log. At all times, however, there is a chance of getting wet on the drops. The earlier (smaller drop) is usually the ones that might get me, because I forget to duck. On the large drop, when we get near the bottom, I duck my head into the log and let everyone else get splashed. It might not be the most heroic gesture on my part, but it keeps my shirt dry. The most moisture that I’ll usually feel is whatever is leftover on the seat from the previous ride.

5 Likes

So true!

I have only been splashed on Splash Mountain (and my shoes have never really gotten wet), but I was absolutely drenched on Kali River Rapids. And it was our first FP+ of the day, so we walked around sopping wet for hours. The ride is fun, but I would never do it first ever again. AND, my mom wore a poncho and it didn’t do anything - she was soaked head to toe.

This is exactly what my parents used to do, as long as my sister and I were sitting behind them.

1 Like

We wore ponchos because I was in a white shirt and we were heading directly to a Liner meetup after :stuck_out_tongue:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10414534_10152813266528496_898430064490126727_n.jpg?oh=8f1c984d0d3eeb0203e835a593e06c2e&oe=55844E04&__gda__=1434885299_8d2d7accf60e2b7ab17ebc21163a1f6c

3 Likes

[quote=“theredhead, post:15, topic:10572”]
This is exactly what my parents used to do, as long as my sister and I were sitting behind them.[/quote]

Hmmm, my sister has red hair, but I don’t think that’s you, since she was usually sitting next to me when we were on Splash Mountain! In fairness, I’ll tell everyone that I’m going to duck, so if they get splashed I think it’s their fault for not also ducking.

3 Likes

The one time I got “wet” had nothing to do with the big drop. At the bottom of the small drop, just before you go into the “dark ride” part, a “rogue wave” sloshed over the side of the log and right into my lap. I was not amused…

2 Likes

You do realize that wet white shirt probably wouldn’t have gotten even a raised eyebrow from most liners @mALYficent??

1 Like

True, but I figured I’d rather be safe than sorry :wink: