Huge park hour changes

Why didn’t Disney just SAY so? :wink:

Maybe do not want to offend POTUS?

Some sort of Act of God thing may come into play? I just finished watching The Last Dance. This reminds me of the suite Jordan had in SLC, complete with (baby?) grand piano. Lol.

This may be the more likely reason. And perhaps both sides are just being super flexible.

MLB cannot seem to get it together. It seems neither the players nor owners will budge.

I said this in another thread: I still do not see how they can completely isolate the players. How do you keep out groupies/superfans? They are determined groups. And they idea of so many superstars in one place is going to prove irresistible to a certain number of people. They are going to need G8 level security.

And what about a player(s) bent on getting out (or getting people in)? As The Last Dance proved w/ Rodman, some players don’t care about the money or consequences.

I would hope all players would comply, but the league may need to propose an incredibly tough penalty on any violators to guarantee compliance.

If the NBA does come to WDW, yes the NBA players CBA will require rooms better than the All-Stars.

However, there are going to be a lot more people there than just the players (various support staff, assistant coaches, trainers, equipment managers, league officials, media, etc) and they might end up in the All-Stars.

2 Likes

That’s why I think Coronado is the best bet. The tower rooms are not 5 star but decent enough for the players. If the league decided to invoke force majure on the 5 star hotel clause, they would still have to provide the nicest alternative.
They could house the players in the tower and the support staff in the rest of the resort. They could all be contained together. Since Coronado only has bus transport, they could just halt all buses in and out and close the resort to cars.

i’m not sure I get the extra cleaning needed. CDC guidelines have recently been adjusted to say that there is little to no chance of getting the virus from touching surfaces. Yes you can detect virus particles. However, the testing (PCR) is soooooooooooo much more sensitive (think 1 strand of viral RNA is there, the test is able to multiply that into thousands so that it can be quantified) than they used to be. Even PCR has come MILES since I started working in the R&D industry. ELISAs (antibody testing) are also much more sensitive. Both have their limitations and false result (positive and negative) rates as well. Viral load appears to be very important with prognosis and severity for this virus, and it is insignificant from touching surfaces. The virus doesn’t do well on surfaces even though you can still detect “pieces” of the virus. We already know that the Disney parks undergo a significant cleaning EVERY night after they close, I’m not sure extra steps are necessary. I think they are counting on people leaving early because of the heat during the summer and not reopening during the night means they won’t have to worry about them coming back when it’s more comfortable outside. I do think this will result in crowding in other areas such as pools and restaurants because people aren’t going to have anywhere else to go. Out of all the changes, the park hours change may be the nail in the coffin for our trip.

2 Likes

Annnd, all my FPP suddenly disappeared this morning. Dining is still there for now, but clearly having an FP will not be an indicator of preference for making a park reservation.

I don’t even think FPPs will be available in the beginning. And honestly, if they are operating at 40% capacity, will you really need it?

I would be totally fine with Disney moving us from POFQ to the Polynesian or the Contemporary for the same bounce back rate that I have reserved.

1 Like

Now, I’ve said for quite some time that I long for the days of Disney where the FP wasn’t a thing. Despite the amount of planning it mandates, it offers little to no actual overall benefit.

Having said that, on an individual ride basis, it can offer benefit, and even at 30% capacity (which is what the the Disney guy mentioned in the Task Force meeting), if you use virtual queues, and the virtual queue says you can return in 30 minutes…the FPP will save you having to wait the 30 minutes. So, there is PERCEIVED benefit.

Still, in the end, if they eliminate the FPP entirely during this time period, then your overall wait time spread across the day balances out and there is no benefit much in the same way there NEVER is, overall, much benefit to it to begin with!

i’m not sure I agree that there is no benefit from the FPP system. We’ve been 5 times in the last 4 years and the longest I’ve stood in line for anything is 30 minutes. I am continually looking and updating for fast passes and have ridden multiple attractions multiple times in 20 minutes where that wouldn’t be possible without the FPP system. If you aren’t using the system to get more than your 3 passes per day then you aren’t using it to it’s full potential. It’s nothing for us to get 12 - 15 per day including same day drops of things such as FOP or SDD.

1 Like

I should clarify that for the AVERAGE guest, the FPP doesn’t ultimately offer benefit.

But the basis of judgement of this is not on whether you stayed in any given line for any given length of time, but if you add the TOTAL wait time across ALL attractions across the day.

So, while it may be true that someone avoids waiting in that 2 hour wait over there…but the end result is that all the REST of the lines for the day have increased by 10+ minutes because they were slowed down by the other FPP guests for those rides. If you do 12 rides, and you saved 120 minutes for one, but it cost you an extra 10 minutes for the other 11, you start to see that the entire benefit was one of perception only.

1 Like

in most instances for us, if we can’t get a FPP for it, we move on to something we can! I should note that we also tend to hit the parks at times where they are at lower levels as it is and many of the major attractions we’d only hit once with a scheduled FPP unless we were to grab a same day drop. I’ve literally walked past the same people standing in the stand by queue for EE 5 times just by grabbing a FPP to ride again right after we go through. They look at you like you’re crazy. We aren’t huge on seeing the queues with a 12 year old. We try to ride as much as we can. Have been known to hit all 4 parks major attractions in 1 day with FPP only. I guess we’ve been spoiled in our trips and our expectations. The things Disney has laid out thus far doesn’t sound like the way we like to do our trips. Doesn’t mean it can’t be magical for someone else and we haven’t thrown in the towel yet.

1 Like

This will be interesting. We currently have All Star Movies end of July through first week of August. I know I’m going to cancel, but I might wait and cancel when I absolutely have to just to see how all of this plays out.

3 Likes

Ooh! A scientific experiment, and you are our test subject! :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I AM a science teacher, so this is right up my alley! :joy:

4 Likes

i’m going to need data complete with charts and a good discussion and conclusions!

2 Likes

My late July and first week of August FPP all disappeared as well. They were there at 5:30 this morning when I got up for work, but now gone. So much for that! I also can change my resort (booked at the Cabins) and can only change to DVC resorts. No values, mods, or the non-DVC parts of the deluxe resorts. Interesting. I am thinking they will only have DVC/maybe regular deluxe open as well as Fort Wilderness. So now what happens- will they cancel all reservations that aren’t at deluxes? Will they let you switch from a value/mod if you are willing to pay deluxe prices? Will it make people madder to randomly cancel stays based on resort booked (and keeping $$$$$ over $$ paying customers) or based on when you booked. I have so many questions!

2 Likes

It can’t really apply across all resorts. They cannot do anything about the DVC occupancy level.

So if BWV is 80% full (let’s assume some DVC owners do cancel), then that means the hotel side needs to be empty to achieve that 40% figure. That’s based on a 50/50 split, which it isn’t. But it illustrates the point.

Wait! My fastpasses are back!! I’m so confused.

1 Like