HS vs AK

Sorry, I’m new to this format…do you recommend HS or AK as a second day after MK? Kids’ ages-girl is 5, both boys are almost 3. We have done MK 2 years in a row for two days each time. Wondering if we should switch it up this time, and only do MK one day and something else on day two.

Will you only be going for the two days total? Depending on their interests they might enjoy the Disney Jr show at HS, or the animals at AK. And welcome!

1 Like

We would do AK in a heart beat. apart from rides and attractions you have the animal interaction. Some say its a half day park but we spend upto 4 days plus touring this park. Also now with the wildness explorers program it means more fun.

1 Like

I would go with AK. Festival of the Lion King, Nemo and Flights of Wonder are all very excellent shows. Safari is great with kids. Rafiki Planet watch area is nice for kids - lots to touch and also the bone yard for kids = great play area. I would also book Tusker House character meal breakfast or lunch.

Far fewer rides but much more hands on for kids. It will be a very different experience and maybe a less power tour day.

At HS, not sure if they could ride anything but Toy Story mania and I would argue the Safari is better. I also think Festival of the Lion King tops Beauty and the Beast show.

If you wanted to do a night time show post AK, you could always book the pirates and pals cruise which is great for kids and a really good Wishes view.

3 Likes

Yes, only two days:(

No reason to be sad there is still lots of fun to be had! I think either choose would be pretty good but for kids AK can be a really fun park.

3 Likes

While TSMM and Animation Academy are among my favorite attractions with kids those ages I think I would go with AK for all of the reasons @MagicMN listed. FotLK is the best show in all of the parks in my opinion and there is so much exploring to do you can fill the day easily.

2 Likes

I have taken kids those ages, and would also choose AK. There is so much fun for little ones there!!

I might also suggest – if you have done MK before – if it were me and my kids I might do the new park the first day, and then MK on the second day… I always feel like I have to END at MK. But I know others always feel like they need to begin there, ha ha… Anyway you do it will be fun. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the tips and advicel! Good idea to end at MK! I’m convinced AK is a good start as well!

2 Likes

AK is a great choice, HS next trip when the kids are older. AK is a full day park for us. Don’t understand folks that only spend 1/2 day there. Keep in mind that it usually closes earlier than the other parks so you can have an early first day and a full MK day on the second day.

1 Like

If you have the park hopper, you might consider spending the day at AK, then hopping to DHS after dinner. AK usually closes fairly early, while DHS will probably be open to 9 or later. Do the safari first thing at AK so you won’t need a FPP. And I wholeheartedly agree with the Tusker House recommendation, as well as the boneyard. My kids also love getting their faces painted at AK. And don’t miss the walking paths, as they collectively rival any large zoo and the CMs there are super knowledgeable. Get a late FPP for TSMM, because your kids will love that ride! Then have dessert somewhere at DHS, maybe the HBD lounge? Also, since you have a DD5, you might try to do some of the Frozen stuff, if timing works.

1 Like