HS Slink dog - worth the long wait?

Is waiting in line for over 50 minutes worth it for Slinky Dog?
What are your strategies for not waiting much?

1 Like

Is everyone waiting for slinky dog 100% on board with riding and waiting? I ask b/c DDthen7 had a FPP to slinky dog but took one look at it and said NO Way, so we moved her FPP to alien swirling saucers instead. Could not have seen that coming in advance (this was 2019, when FPP was a thing).

I doubt the husband would want to wait long but for sure he and the kids would enjoy the actual ride. It is just that the ride lasts 2 minutes… Is it worth waiting an hour for 2 minutes? Or do we forget that ride and just have a more relaxed pace?

It’s a lot of fun. It’s not the most groundbreaking attraction, but it is tons of fun. It was our son’s favorite on our last trip. Most rides in Disney have long lines, and an hour is not out of the ordinary.

There are three primary ways to beat the line for Slinky (or any popular attraction):

• Arrive at the park 30 minutes prior to park opening and rope drop it.
  • Get in line a few minutes before park closing - wait times at park closing are crazy inflated.
  • Purchase Genie+ and try to grab a LL for it - it’s not easy but very doable if you look at the Genie+ threads that are pinned above.

At the end of the day, it’s of course your choice and what appeals the best to you and your family, but I can say that for my family it’s a must-do.

6 Likes

If you are a coaster enthusiast, SDD is ho hum at best and definitely NOT worth a 50 minute wait. It is barely more exciting than any other kiddie coaster.

But, if you have kids who are ready for something more than Barnstormer, or someone who enjoys more mild coasters, it might be worth it.

My wife really liked it a lot. If it were just me, I wouldn’t care if I never road it again…or if I did, I would want the wait to be like 15 minutes.

I think ASS and TSM are better ride experiences, but everyone is different in what they like and don’t like.

5 Likes

SDD can be fun, but it can be intimidating to those who do not like a coaster that appears to be up in the air (like Barnstormer) instead of near the ground (SDMT). It’s fairly mild, and has a second launch part way through - which some people may not like. It looks very different when it’s all lit up after dark - in a good way (IMO).

Much of the line for it is not undercover, so early morning or evening are better times, to avoid waiting in the hot sun. It’s much easier to wait longer when it’s not in the hot sun.

1 Like

I don’t think anything is personally. And I agree with others - it’s a tame coaster but scary looking for young kids.

1 Like

Slinky Dog is one of the most fun rides in the World. It brings out belly laughs in everyone in my family and in so many of the other riders we’ve ridden with! It’s just FUN! 50 minutes waiting is certainly well worth it if you can’t find ways to shorten your wait; I would probably draw the line at 75.

You’ve gotten some great feedback in terms of how to shorten that wait up some. Consider heeding some of that advice, and give it a go!

6 Likes

I gotta agree. I am a big coaster fan (and nothing at Disney holds a candle to Velocicoaster or Hagrid’s on that front) but we really enjoy Slinky. I wouldn’t wait 50 minutes for anything, so definitely heed the advice on how to reduce the wait. But it always elicits a big smile for me and DS13 and we never miss it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t wait 50 minutes for it during the day, but that’s mainly because I think it’s 100x better at night. We often hop in line at the last minute and do Slinky as our last ride.

2 Likes

100% agree! I went with some girlfriends a few years ago and it was their favorite roller coaster of all of the roller coasters. We jumped in line right before closing.

3 Likes

It’s fine but I will only ride it at RD if we are at the front of the pack or with a FP or LL I guess now. The first time we were expecting it to be rubbish so it surprised us by being pretty good. But then we had higher expectations so it was disappointing all the other times.

3 Likes

I’d wait 50 minutes for it. My kids like coasters, but not ones that are too extreme. (No RNRC for them anytime soon.) It’s a great level for them - exciting and fun but not too too scary. And I enjoy it, too. I like the more extreme coasters, but still enjoy ones that are middle of the road. Personally, I’d put SDD a notch above SDMT for excitement / thrills.

Something to consider: if you didn’t do SDD, what would you do instead that would be equally / more enjoyable and have a shorter line? If you have something to replace it with that you’d like more, well then, there you go. That replacement might be just time to wander around and take in the sites. Personally, we’re more ride-driven at amusement parks and it’s a ride we like, so it’s worth the wait for us.

4 Likes

I love Slinky, so I’d wait for 50 minutes alone - my kids also love Slinky but I wouldn’t voluntarily wait 50 minutes with them for anything because they don’t have the patience. It just makes me so happy, it’s so cute and fun and I laugh the entire time.

7 Likes

I agree. It really does seem like a coaster a kid would have designed. There is something joyful about it. I love the row of moguls.

2 Likes

That’s the very best part, and the part where if you’re not already laughing you will be

2 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

My family loves Slinky and would definitely wait 50 mins. We’ve waited right at 80 before but that was because all the other headliners in the park were even longer, so why not. With recent crowds, a 50 minute wait in Hollywood Studios is pretty mild.

3 Likes

Always hard for me to have an absolute yes or no answer to would I wait x amount of time for a ride. If 50 min is near the lowest I’m going to see the rest of the day (assuming no ILL), and if it won’t cause me to skip something I like more (RotR, MFSR, ToT, TSM, maybe MMRR), then it’s a go. If not, then probably no. It’s cute and fun and I adore all things TS, but I wouldn’t mind missing it, whereas it’s a must for DW.

4 Likes

I would wait 50 for it. Up to 90.

1 Like