How would you organize our site's touring plans?

I like option 1. I agree with choosing the park first. It’s can be tough to figure out what demographic label fits, when we’re atypical. That’s where seeing the various plans for a given park, and comparing them, comes in very handy. A person soon realizes the best plan is a personalized plan!

2 Likes

Interesting. My gut reaction was by park, but after reading through other responses, I think by demographic would be better. By demographic seems to be a differentiator from other sites. Plus, it would be less navigation for me to access standard plans for my group in one spot.

Ideally, you would have a selection to view by park or by demographic.

2 Likes

I do like this part of presenting the demographic options first.

But I still like my idea best, letting the guest choose their own adventure. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

By park would be my preference.

2 Likes

As a parent of young children, I still prefer by park first, then demographics second. Just because I have little kids doesn’t mean I want to miss out on anything! I want to be able to compare what the other plans have that is different from the plan for parents with young children.

But I also agree that @OBNurseNH’s suggestion makes the most sense in allowing users to organize the information either way.

Also, THANK YOU for looking at ways to reorganize the site to make it easier to navigate!!

7 Likes

I say park first. I don’t really fall into any of the preselected demographics and I like to compare the different plans for each park anyway. I also agree though that it would be best to give an option of viewing between park or demographic.

Parks first

I also vote by parks first - none of the demographic-specific plans seem to fit us perfectly

1 Like

As a first time adult visitor I used the plans specifically for “small children”. Mine were 1 and 4 (almost 2 and 5). Now I make my own as I know what I like and what I don’t want to see every time but can here and there. For first time visitors I think organizing by type like small children would be more helpful. I think those of us on this forum rarely use the pre made plans so we’d go straight to personalized and if that was also equivalent to small children, teens, seniors, adults that would be great to just go straight into there.

This is a very true statement. So I guess its all about who this tool is targeted to…

1 Like

This!!! My four year old daughter loved roller coasters and when my son was four, he hated them. (I, a grown adult, am also not a fan). My husband loves roller coasters but gets motion sickness. Plans that were focused on these factors (and height maybe?) would be way more helpful for me personally.

Because of this, I normally do what the site says not to do, and start with an everything plan and toss out stuff.

2 Likes

Completely agree!

I have one kid (now 20yo) that has been a daredevil rider since she was a toddler, and my now 16yo never even liked Barnstormer.

It would be great if there were options that didn’t assume the 6yo isn’t hitting all the coasters or if someone doesn’t ride coasters they are 4yo and they want to hang with the Disney Junior Dance Party.

I have been doing custom plans from day one, because none of the standard ones came even close to what we needed.

2 Likes

Our recent trips - since about 2013 - have been more demographic specific. This trip included newbies with back and neck issues while that trip included newbies with walking issues.

However, by the time I get to a touring plan I’ve decided my park days based on crowd calendars.

The demographics seem more about attractions.

Maybe make it about height restriction vs age instead?

I’m trying to think about what was most helpful to me as a first-timer. Because as discussed, most experienced travelers will make their own plan instead of using a premade one.

1 Like

I hear people when they say that the demographic specific plans don’t apply to them, that’s a fair point.

However, I do feel like one of TPs selling points is PERSONALISED plans, and seeing different touring style options seems like a more direct way to lead someone to making personalised plans rather than offering what might look at first glance as ‘one-per-park’.

Can the option be ‘touring style’ or similar rather than ‘demographic’?

EVERYONE has a touring style, but not everyone fits into a limited choice of demographic.

(Added bonus of that is that it might also highlight to a newbie that they can set their own pace on a TP too.)

6 Likes

I would think Park first.
Choosing your park is a pretty clear, fundamental choice.

Choosing a demographic involves endorsing a number of assumptions. It prompts the question “what is TP assuming I will be skipping?”
For a new visitor, it’s asking them to jump into a pigeon-hole made by strangers.

As for differentiation, well, presumably once I choose my park then I will see a list of pre-made touring plans and some will be described as suited for certain demographics. I can compare them and see different ways to explore Theme Park X and what the trade-offs are. Then I can decide if that pigeon hole suits me.

3 Likes

Having done the small children plan when my were little, it was a compromise of adult and child offerings. For example MK included Splash and Big Thunder I believe recommending child swap. I do think it left off Space Mountain. In Epcot, I know we did Soarin. I think people think the small children plans are all Dumbo or Die in a Day plans. They are a mix of adult and child attractions, at least they used to be.

I thought those plans were great and I was successful with them (we were able to do even more most days like I know we had a chance to visit the old Poohs thotful spot and ride tea cups with leftover time. I actually have a much harder time making my personalized plans successful. But personalized plans are a great offering for most of us. And a collection of generalized plans based on balance and ratings for certain age groups is great for first timers or people who don’t want to put a lot of effort into studying attractions. I think the current offerings are great. I’d just like to continue to see the upgrades for personalized plans now that Disney changed the game because we will all have to live more on the fly if we’re gonna use LL since we don’t know what times we’re gonna get.

3 Likes

This is awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

6 Likes

By park, then demographic

1 Like

Option one: By park makes more sense to get a plan for where your going.