How To Practice With Genie + Lightning Lanes

Can anyone give me a guide of how to practice with Genie+ so I’m ready to grab those reservations first thing on my first day? I had a look at the MDE app today but I couldn’t see how to try it. Thank you!

3 Likes

I wrote this out just yesterday for myself and my travel companions. I’m not 100% sure it’s right, so other liners can correct me if they see a mistake!

GETTING STARTED
In order to practice booking Lightning Lanes today, you need to have a park reservation for any time in the future, and you need to select one or more attractions for the park. This will allow you to Edit Selections for today on the Tip Board, even if you don’t have a park reservation today.
Sign in to the MDE app.
Tap Get Started Now.
Select a date for which you’ve reserved a park. Your selected park should be displayed. Tap Continue.
Select your party and tap Continue.
Select one or more attractions (you can change these later) and tap Continue.
Personalize your interests if you want, and tap Continue.
Tap View My Day.
Now you can practice on the Tip Board.

PRACTICING
Open an atomic clock app on an iPad (or other secondary device).
On your main device, sign in to the MDE app.
Tap My Day.
Tap Tip Board.
Tap Change Park (if necessary) and select your park.
Tap Edit Selections.
Select only the 1 or 2 attractions you want to book and Save.
Refresh Tip Board. You should see your 1 or 2 attractions at the top now.
Keep an eye on the atomic clock.
At the 06:59:59 mark, refresh Tip Board.
If you see a return time you want, hit the LL button to book it.

BOOKING at 7:00am
The day before (if not sooner), select the park and the 1 or 2 attractions you want to book at 7:00am.
Open an atomic clock app on an iPad (or other secondary device).
On your main device, sign in to the MDE app.
Tap My Day.
Tap Tip Board. You should see today’s reserved park selected with your 1 or 2 attractions for that park at the top. (Tap Change Park if your 7:00am booking is for a park-hop attraction.)
Keep an eye on the atomic clock.
At the 06:59:59 mark, refresh Tip Board.
If you see a return time you want, hit the LL button to book it.
Proceed to select your party and confirm the booking.

BOOKING at other times
As soon as is convenient after you book an LL, set up the next LL to get:
Open the MDE app.
Tap My Day.
Tap Tip Board.
If park-hopping, tap Change Park and select your next park.
Tap Edit Selections.
Select the next attraction you want to book and Save.
When your next booking opportunity comes up:
Open the MDE app.
Tap My Day.
Tap Tip Board.
Hit the LL button for the attraction you selected.
Proceed to select your party and confirm the booking.

11 Likes

Thank you. When I tap on to Tip Board I get ‘Something Went Wrong’ and haven’t been able to change this. Any ideas?

Oh also - when I click My Day and then Get Started Now it only lets me pick the dates that I have park reservations / tickets / hotel for.

I am unable to edit selections because I have no tickets linked in MDE. I was able to practice on a friends account the day before she went to Disney and the advice @ParkRanger worked. I only got to play around with it for about 15 mins. It did not go as fluidly as I would have liked. It got stuck a few times which I think would be frustrating if I were in the parks. She had the newest iPhone (do not even know, I’m an Android lover).

1 Like

From my understanding, this indicates a (hopefully temporary) MDE glitch, nothing you can do but try again.

1 Like

I think you need to skip right to the Tip Board for practice.

2 Likes

Good to know. I have park reservations linked, so these practice steps worked for me.

2 Likes

I’m going to take a wild guess that you’re British. You need to use a VPN if you want to see it before you actually get there. This is causing me major anxiety - I am not tech savvy enough to use a VPN. I plan to watch a lot of YouTube videos showing how it works.

4 Likes

Correct guess! I’ll give the VPN a go to get some practice in.

3 Likes

The one thing you can do is monitor one ride. Scroll down, click on that ride, hit the LL button and it will refresh but keep that ride at the top of your screen. Then just repeat this process to refresh. Its notnas nice as having 2-4 rides at the top, but you can at least watch patterns for that ride.

1 Like

Except this isn’t working today.:cry::cry::cry:

I literally did this yesterday. They seem to have updated the app (my name now appears when I open it). I wonder if they took this away :rage:

1 Like

Yep it was an update. We’ve been Chapeked again. Happened the other day for android. We hadn’t heard it confirmed on ios yet.

1 Like

Im on Android so no IOS confirmation! My update just went through.

1 Like

@mikejs78 says it may be a coding error, I say intentional error :angry:

2 Likes

Yes I did notice this. Ill have to make a calander for each ride and make notes… I hope TP can gather this stuff. I have a lot of time b4 my next trip so I’m confident TP will have this all worked out for me.

1 Like

It’s not letting me keep one on top but I can still see the LL return times and thats fine for now to monitor return times

1 Like

Thank you! This write up is so helpful to show those in our group who are not lurking the TP boards obsessively pre-trip.
Jenn

1 Like

I hope I’ve got the details right—please let me know if something’s off, and I’ll fix.

Maybe a stupid question but do you need to refresh the tip board again at 7:59:59 before clicking the LL button? The LL selections are greyed out to me at the moment so they aren’t ‘clickable’ yet