How to plan for large groups

We all wanted to be there and the goal was making memories.

Idk how many times the :wrench: was told its not about you, itā€™s about the memories. Real :poop:

Another idea is to meet for quick serve meals. Everyone gets to hang out together, itā€™s far more relaxed, and the variety of food usually can accommodate everyone.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! My extended family flat out refuses to split up. :joy: I love it. Weā€™ll break off occasionally to do adjacent rides with varying thrill levels, like SDMT and Dumbo. For dining, weā€™ll buy the dining plan to allow for budgeting and prepaying and also reduce the back and forth at the table.

1 Like

We had not all planned a trip together initially. My friends decided to go and they coordinated dates.

I donā€™t mind spending time together- but some of us get overstimulated in large groups and donā€™t want their vacations bombarded with anxiety.

I am allowed to put myself and my mental health first above everyone elseā€™s feelings on my own vacation.

4 Likes

This is so true yet difficult in some situations to do. Thinking parents and kids.

When we went as multiple family/generation trips, we liked a ratio of about 4 adults to each kid. The best I ever managed in getting folks to split off was an occasional supper when I could get the parents at one table and the kids with us at another. Teppan Edo was good for this.

And the parents were always so chill afterwards. :sunglasses:

Ok more questions have come up now that I have had a chance to sit down with my friends - so if anyone can point me in the direction that would be great.

The two families will be staying at Shades of Green since spouse is ex military. She is unsure of whether my family will be allowed to come on the property, since we wonā€™t be staying there, but would like to meet up for a dinner or breakfast at their restaurant.
Does anyone know the rules for this?
She is thinking about adding my family to her reservation, just because she is reserving 3 rooms, and has enough room to put our name on it, but she wasnā€™t sure the logistics of us gaining access to the property.
If anyone has insider info about SOG, please let me know. Iā€™m searching some threads but this seems to be a unique situation.
Thanks!

Weā€™ve brought my sister and her daughter or even maybe also grandkid.

We were all in the same vehicle. There is a liner who may know but theyā€™re on vacation currently.

Would you be in a separate vehicle?

We donā€™t have a vehicle. They are arriving a few days before us. Iā€™m not even sure how to get onto the property since the info about riding the bus says you need a resort id, and I canā€™t get one unless we are on the property and go to the front desk. There has to be some way to do thisā€¦

1 Like

I did find this

ā€œI have a reservation at Shades of Green, can friends and family come to visit me during my stay?
Yes, registered guests are able to have visitors during their stay. Visitors may utilize our restaurants during their visit. Visitors (non-registered guests) are not able to use the swimming pools, hot tub, kids splash pad, fitness center, or bus transportation during their visit.ā€

Iā€™ll look to see what other info I can find.

yes, this is all I could find tooā€¦

1 Like

Will your friends have a car?

If your friend adds you to their reservation you should get the resort ID. That and your driverā€™s license should get you on the bus to Shades of Green.
I find know if folks get their resort ID before check in.

Iā€™ve been at SoG several times but weā€™ve had a car and driven in. Except once, in 2012 when we walked up from the Poly. But you canā€™t do that any more.

Honestly its all up in the air as to how they are arriving. One friend may fly, the other may drive. My family is flying. We all have different arrival/departure dates.
Iā€™m sure it will somehow workout, the logistics seem to be proving difficult.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not stayed here. Only eaten. Bought tickets. Looked around.

If the logistics seem difficult it may mostly be on the person deciding whatā€™s important info to put on the website.

Iā€™ve finally been successful in booking here for next December.

1 Like

Same! My party of 12 spent a whole week in Orlando/Disney and I remember only one time we split up: When my cousin and her daughter wanted to spend 1h+ in line to see Elsa and everyone else refused. :joy:

1 Like

I was watching the Mouselets the other day and they stopped by shades of green to look at the pro golf shop for a souvenir. Neither of them are military so Iā€™m guessing they just told the gate attendant that they were going shopping.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the golf course and clubhouse itself is not at Shades of Green. The two share the same access road but the golf stuff is on the right while SoG is straight ahead.

1 Like

Oh, gotcha!

1 Like

Back in the early years of Disney World Shades of Green was a Disney resort, imagined to be part of the 3 golf courses there. Stay at the Disney Inn and walk out onto your course of the day.

It wasnā€™t very popular and eventually the Disney Inn became Shades of Green for military and government active duty and retirees. During the month of January veterans can also stay.
One of my favorite things about Disney World is that the Flag Retreat has been going on since MK opened.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen it in person before so I didnā€™t really know where everything is oriented. I just assumed that the shop was in or near the hotel. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My family stayed in July with my sisterā€™s military family. We had a late arrival, so she left our names with the front gate which allowed us entry onto the resort. Upon check-in, we received our bus passes (linking us to the military member). Once we had that, we were able to come and go without the military member by showing the passes and our IDs to get on the Shades buses.

FYI - Shades does charge an extra $15 per adult per night for any room over 2 adults.

1 Like