How to plan a split stay between WDW and Universal?

I think the reason for the more calm/relaxed perception is mostly mental. I look at the list of possible shows/rides/experiences/etc. at WDW and I feel like I could be there for two weeks straight and still not see it all. It’s overwhelming. At Universal, there is MUCH less to do and I feel confident I could probably do it all in 3 days, 4 tops. The other possibility is that if time is a major factor, you can easily get Express Pass. With EP, you can get on any ride that accepts it (which is most of them) on any day at any time and enter the EP line. You don’t have to decide 60 days beforehand where you want to be at 3pm on Tuesday. You can plan on the fly and relax. (Though a good touring plan always helps!) That is simply not possible at WDW unless you enjoy waiting in lines. You can easily walk between the two Universal parks in a matter of 5-10 minutes, and a walk to either park from any of the onsite hotels takes about 25 minutes tops at a relaxed pace. You don’t need to plan in up to an hour of travel time to get where you want to be. I also think the crowds feel lower overall, but that’s just my perception. I was there recently on a level 7 day and my longest wait was 35 minutes for one ride in the middle of the day. All my other waits were shorter. That being said, the crowds in Hogsmeade do feel very heavy even on light days, as the area is so small. All in all, I think the smaller area combined with the smaller list of possibilities makes for a more relaxed feel.

As for cost, I think it’s impossible to compare because you truly NEED more time at WDW, which increases costs, especially if you count on feeding a family every day. Regarding tickets, using Undercover Tourist as a guideline, a 3 day adult Hopper to WDW is $338. A 3 day adult part-to-park at Universal is $200.

Okay, that’s probably WAAAAY more than you wanted to hear, but once I get started, it’s sometimes hard to stop! :smile:

2 Likes

Its more calm and relaxed for a few diff reason. The main contributing factor is less under 5s ( we saw 2 strollers last trip) Most guests are older kids and 20-40 something. So no meltdowns tantrums or tears it makes such a difference. Duff beer and HP beers for Dads also help them to chill.
Secondly I think peoples expectations are lower so are pleasantly surprised and if something goes wrong or you need help TM are awesome. The TM (CM) are allowed to make judgement calls to resolve small issues without resorting to rulebooks and managers reducing stress and tension.
Thirdly Express Pass for the onsite delux guests and option to buy it. We were offsite last visit and were planning to purchase on day but didn’t need to so again having that option reduces stress and anxiety.
As said already the booking a table for a meal can be done a day or 2 before. None of this 180 days crap. Also I read all the time about people wanting the PERFECT wdw trip so they get sooo stressed about CRT BBB BOG A&E 7 DWARFS that they can’t relax. None of that at Uni.

1 Like

Nope, not too much info! It helps me picture the place and understand. Thanks!

Thanks! I’m getting it😀 This all makes sense.

We are splitting the trip between WDW and Univeral this time (First time to Universal). To be perfectly honest - with the added cost and all the closures - I am MUCH MORE excited about Universal. I think the resort will be nicer than the one we are staying at at WDW, I think the crowds are going to be smaller at Universal than WDW, We will have the express pass at Universal and I won’t have to PLAN OUT THE YING YANG for Universal.

I am a die hard WDW - but with the decline and quality combined with the increase in crowds and attraction and entertainment closures - WDW has really lost its shine for me. We will most certainly have a wonderful time.

I used to be one of those “why would you bother going to Universal when you can just go to WDW” - but now - I have pretty much done a 180. Dare I say that we are even going to Seaworld for a day as well?

I think WDW was the leader and recently they have been caught with their pants down and are now frantically tying to catch up to Universal.

In the end - these are truly First Wold problems and we should all be thankful that we are “fretting” over such decisions. How can you go wrong either way - its a vacation with your family and the point is to spend time with them. Some of my fondest memories with my parents and brother is on vacation and it being a “crappy” experience at the time - now we laugh about it

1 Like

Thanks for keeping it real. I totally agree!