How soon do you pack?

Honestly I can’t believe I didn’t think of it sooner myself!

What sparked the idea was when we were on the cusp of buying DVC and I was looking at the Owner’s Locker. It occurred to me that I could create my own portable one.

2 Likes

@Wenmoo

I just went through photos on my computer and can see that I did a trial run of clothes and from there made my spreadsheet about a month before my major 2016 trip. We had seven land days and seven sea days (on NCL with nightly dress up). I remember now it was as close as I have ever been to having to do so much planning it stopped being fun.

1 Like

I love love love this idea!

2 Likes

I started around 30 days. I blame Christmas, because I got new suitcases for the trip and it just made sense to start gathering stuff. Around 2 weeks out, I started organizing our clothes more, adding some of them to the pile and just planning the others. We’re at 9 days now so the actual packing will begin soon. I’m trying to do little extra things to make it easy for us while we’re there, like packing all of DS2’s outfits in gallon ziplocs. And I wanted to make sure I started packing early enough to Prime anything we still needed to buy.

I’m with you. My brain has been about 30% Disney all year, and once we got our FP, it went up to about 80%. I can’t help it but start packing.

2 Likes

We all have Star Wars apparel for HS - shirts for DH and DS2 and ears for me. We all also have dino themed shirts (doubled as DS2’s birthday party this year). I don’t think DH has anything Mickey, but DS2 and I will have classic Mickey/Minnie for Epcot. To add to that I have Little Mermaid ears and safari ears.

2 Likes

My family is used to this too, because I’m a photographer. I coordinate outfits for Easter, Christmas (pjs and church), vacation, pumpkin picking, Halloween, and anything else where we take a bunch of photos every year. DS2 will never know anything different. :rofl:

2 Likes

3 days out, max.

More often, day before.

3 Likes

My MIL has already started packing for our April trip. I’ll pack the day before. I will inevitably forget something, but probably my MIL will have 2 so it all works out in the end.

2 Likes

I love that you all matched by accident!

Cute picture

2 Likes

Curious for a fuller list of what you put in your boxes other than toiletries. Things that you have found helpful to have. If I missed it somewhere farther down, sorry just point me to where you already shared it.

Personally I don’t feel comfortable doing last-minute packing like you are doing.

I have a Disney drawer (which is too small) of WDW trIp-specific items so that I know where they all are when the time comes to pack. The contents of the drawer balloon in quantity as the trip date approaches.

4 Likes

I like it!
I am also an OB nurse btw :+1:

2 Likes

I have one of those too. It also continues to expand. The thing is everything we buy to take to Disney, or that we buy at Disney turns into some sentimental thing that must be kept for always :laughing:

1 Like

Hmm… so I bring: a couple of laundry pods, dryer sheets, wrinkle release. ICut up sponges infused with dish soap. Laundry bag. Wet wipes. Zip loc bags in a variety of sizes. Nightlights. Extension cord. Pain reliever, antacid, decongestant. Antibacterial hand gel. Band aids. Moleskin. Blister bandaids. Small sewing kit. Eyeglass repair kit. Safety pins. Sanitary products. Extra hair ties. Note pad/pen. Playing cards. Ponchos.

Sounds like a lot but most items are very small and all of this fits in a moderate sized rubbermaid, perhaps 8x12 or thereabouts.

6 Likes

I actually have just left my OB Nurse position after 16 years :cry: I am moving into a day shift position in an outpatient family practice office. But people know me as OBNurse, so I’ll keep it :wink: OB will always be my first clinical love

5 Likes

Thanks! Interesting to see what other people think to bring that I would not have thought of. And one DS just got glasses but neither DH nor I have ever worn them so we are learning along with him. Your list made me realize I should get a glasses repair kit just in general :slight_smile: and for WDW.

3 Likes

I recently left practice as well. I finished my PhD last year and took a position as the director of a nursing program. I’ll always love OB. At least I still get to teach it :blush:

3 Likes

Ooh where are you teaching, Doc?

These are all things I take, more or less, but I repack them each trip… :thinking:

I actually have a pretty sweet deal. I teach at a college here in NY, but the nursing program has 2 satellite campuses in Florida. One on the east coast and one on the west coast. So I travel to Florida often for work. When my kids are off school, I take the whole family and we plan in a few Disney days :+1:

7 Likes