How Much Does Your Family Help With Planning?

this is our first trip, so i just took lead on planning, but noone wanted to take a look at things or make decisions so i just did it all… they just better not complain lol

3 Likes

I have found that interest increases with each trip we take. My kids have definite opinions about restaurants now and they have more rides that they want to make sure we get to do.

thats what im hoping will happen! luckily ive gotten great advice here and have planned accordingly :grin:

1 Like

They totally do. I usually get big hugs & “Thanks!” during and after each trip. It usually occurs when we walk past an attraction that we’ve already done that day, with little or no wait, and now the wait time sign reads “70+ minutes”

Replied to myself a minute ago…

Lol it wouldn’t matter, she’s cray. Now she’s going on and on about F&W festival. She’s gonna waste our whole time in World Showcase not being able to decide between 50 booths! :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

A little. The one kid who has been doesn’t remember enough and the other this will be the first trip. They have told me a few rides, so I’ve prioritized some things for them. DW was in on the resort and ADR planning, but she will leave the FPP and plans to me.

1 Like

My party is made up of myself and adult children. My daughter and her husband are not involved at all. They show up the morning of our flight. They just want to go do not really care about which park we go to or where we eat. My son does the ADRs and the FPs. We live in CA so the call in time is 3AM or 4AM our time. To early for me, he is a good son. Always willing to listen and help me plan.

1 Like

Zero from mine!! I’m hoping as my kids get older they will help a bit more. I do TRY to include them in the planning process but they tend to offer opinions only when we’re actually there in the parks and before we go it’s all “oh whatever you think babe!!” or “sure mama! It’s whatever!”. :unamused:

1 Like

ZERO
I try to ask for suggestions but usually get no reply. This is OK for me, I like to do all the planning.
What I do hate is when it gets down to the last week or so and then family members start to give their input. I just tell them “Too late” You had 7 months to give your input and I am not about to change months of planning. (They have to just trust me at this point.)

1 Like

I basically plan it all. My DS tells me what restaurants he’d like to repeat.

2 Likes

Those early mornings were not fun. Staying at a Disney Resort is an excellent way to avoid multiple mornings of early wake ups for ADR and FPP. But we have hotel points to stay for free. And you can’t beat free!

We only had to wake up that early for ADR because we had 3 hard to get reservations: BOG, CA Grill, and Story Book Dining. None of the reservations were for ideal dining times and we are holding multiple reservations until we have more clarity on our schedule. Other restaurants still had good available times when I got back up at 6:30 AM PDT on all 3 days.

I’m not convinced we have to get up that early for FPP since we most likely won’t get the headliners at 60 days. All other rides’ FPP should be readily available when I get up at my normal 6:30 AM PDT. But DH wants to get up each of the 7 days when our FPP window opens. More power to him. I can use all the help I can get because planning for WDW is wilting the planner in me.

I’ve just been going with my mom recently…but I do all of the planning. We do a lot of table service, so I always give her multiple choice options for things like that (or resort if I’m on the fence). Then, once we’re actually in the world, I’ll let our schedule flex to accommodate whatever she’s enjoying (example: skipping rivers of light so we can pick up another FOP fast pass or an extra long stop for LeFou’s Brew so we can watch Gaston interact with guests) I also know her interests well enough to know what is skippable and that I need to allot 45 minutes in the Christmas ornament shops.

1 Like

None, but they don’t complain about anything either. The kids usually like to know the plan prior, but they are always on board.

Zero. I ask for their input…favorite meal, ride, etc., but then I do all the actual planning.

I plan it all! Unfortunately, we are no longer doing typical family trips because my “kids” are adults now. (DD24, DS19). Our last family trip was 2 years ago when DD was doing her DCP. I would get everyone’s must do’s and ask where they wanted to eat or absolutely didn’t and I worked with that.
This upcoming trip I’m going with a friend for the first time who is very much the free spirit and is happily going along with what I’ve come up with. (She has an AP and goes several times a year.) DD is also coming.
DH is now a little annoyed that I’m getting to do all the Halloween stuff without him but I told him no worries, I’ll definitely go back! I also overheard him telling friends that since his 50th bday coincides with Disney’s 50th he’d like to plan a trip… I’ll hint at starting to plan that after MY 50th this coming winter!

1 Like

Zero here. I try to bring up options for DH and DS but always get back ‘whatever you want to do is fine’.

:rofl: :rofl: This is exactly how I am described in our household. DH is a procrastinator and would probably suggest just driving down and seeing what’s what! DD and DS know I will make sure that they get what they want; I’ve always been in tuned to what they like, even through the teen years. I get horrible anxiety without a plan but I’m also OK with deviations. Generally, we agree on when to go then I do the rest, happily!

I think in every good relationship there has to be one nerd and one free spirit. Two nerds together argue about how to do things and two free spirits never get anything done.

3 Likes

so true!

I have planned the first trip for my Australian BF and his DD, DSIL, and DGS. . . I am a seasoned Disney go’er (this is my second trip this year) so they are entrusting me with all of the planning.

I had DD on FB messanger on one phone and used my work phone to call Disney dining to make reservations for their ADRs - it was super fun and all the Aussies are STOKED for their first trip to WDW!.
Fingers crossed everything goes well and they STICK to my general planning guidlines. . .