How Many Attempts Does It Take to End Up In a Diabetic Coma: An Adult Adventure at Food and Wine Festival *completed*

Off we go to our room. I had put in a request for a corner room using online check in and had touringplans.com send an email request for a corner garden room. Corner rooms have two windows and possibly more sunlight. Through touringplans I suggested 1348, 1248, or 1148. Floor level wasn’t so important to me. We are young and can use the exercise. Or at least like Peter Pan I am in denial about my age. We ended up in building 1. Our room is 1339. It is not a corner room. On the inside I did a little harrumph. But I got over it quickly. Keith didn’t care about the corner room. For two it works great. If we were a family of four it might be a little more challenging. We had plenty of space and were happy with our room assignment. The room was tidy enough for me. I didn’t do an extensive dust test because ignorance is bliss. Building 1 is the furthest out from the main building and the pool. I’ve had a very quiet stay with no one disturbing us the whole week. Paying for a garden view was important for me. A view of the parking lot would have taken me out of the Disney magic just a bit. Even though it was the furthest out building on the top floor, it only took five minutes to get from our room to the bus stop.

One of the best parts of our time was discovering our bags already delivered to our room. The last I had seen them was at check in at the Philadelphia International Airport. I must admit, the control freak in me was slightly worried that I would never see my bag again once out of my hands. But it was wonderful having Disney handle it all. We had a nice lie down in our room.

4 Likes

Port Orleans French Quarter Reception

Room 1339

Looking outside of my room at Port Orleans French Quarter

NEXT: The State of the Epcot

5 Likes

I like your style. Keep it coming!

Well @NoBellePrizeWinner,
This is mostly how I speak. For the first time, I tried to remember to use voice notes on my phone to record quick impressions. This trip report is a lot of transcribing notes. Why do I say mainly? I swore a whole lot more in the voice notes. This is a family friendly forum and I just edited out my expletives. Glad to hear that you are enjoying the ride. Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

Great report! pOFQ looks beautiful!

LOL… I talked my son out of swearing in the parks, because so many kids were around. He uses profanity as part of daily conversation. I do too, but not to the same extent.

I’m loving all the details Douglas! And I especially love your name tag! Anxiously waiting for more!

Keep it coming Douglas!

1 Like

After our rest in our room it was time to take advantage of our only evening extra, extra magic hours of our trip. For the uninformed, on select days those guests staying on Walt Disney World property gain access to certain parks beyond normal operating hours. For our trip, they anticipated larger than normal crowds due to the opening of Galaxy’s Edge and provided more extra magic hours than before and called them extra, extra magic hours. Today was the only time they offered them in any park in the evening during our stay. It was time to head to Epcot to take advantage of the evening extra, extra magic hours.

It is the Wonderful World of Walls at Epcot and it’s kind of crazy how much is blocked off in Future World. All of the old monoliths are gone. It’s kind of not pretty here at Epcot. They have started the process to convert Future World into a set of new worlds, namely World Discovery, World Celebration, World Nature. World Showcase will essentially remain intact. When finished this will be an extensive transformation of a Disney park.

We started with Spaceship Earth with only a five-minute walk on at the standby line. That’s awesome. I love the smell of Rome burning at this classic Epcot attraction. It’s going to be a few years before I return to Walt Disney World, so this was my last shot at seeing this version of Epcot. They plan to re-do the inside attraction to focus on “storytelling”. The outside exterior will remain the same, but inside it will be much different.

But we’re off to have dinner at Sunshine Seasons inside the Land Pavilion. Thinking of my buddy, Onat, because he is super into seasons. His wedding was even themed around seasons. The one nice thing about Sunshine Seasons is that there are a lot of choices from sandwiches to pizzas to a grill to Asian food. You name it and they have got it. It’s like the food court at your local mall. But that’s what you get here. We had what was like the Asian food I get at my local food court at a mall. Sunshine Seasons was clean, orderly, not busy. It’s fine but nothing to write home about.

Keith had the Mongolian Beef at $13.49 with the Schofferhoffer Grapefruit Hefeweizer, $9.50. Keith says it tasted like grapefruit juice with a little something extra. I had the Sweet and Sour Chicken with Jasmine Rice, $11.59. My drink was an Angry Orchard Crisp Apple Hard Cider at $8.50. Most of my meals I don’t have alcohol. But we had paid for the Dining Plan that included the alcoholic beverages. We were all about taking advantage to get our money’s worth.

Sunshine Seasons
Ambience 6
Food 5
Price/Value 5
Overall: 5

Next: Taking advantage of Extra, Extra Magic Hours

3 Likes

It was an easy resort to enjoy. Thank you for joining along for the ride :grinning:

1 Like

I think I was fine with my language in the parks, it was just describing things into my phone that the naughty words would come out. I think I can modulate my language fairly well.

I should be pretty good about posting updates because if I don’t keep up with it, I’ll forget a lot of things in 6 months time.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting otherwise. I hope you know that. I was just sharing our experience.

That’s exactly how I took it. All is good. :smile:

1 Like

All I could think about as we approached “Living on the Land” was ‘Get me as far away from that screaming child’. Luckily, as I’ve said before the children around the park were great and were not an issue. I liked the attraction because it gave me the time to relax, take it easy. It was nice and cool in the evening. I have never seen it before at night, only during the day. It almost seemed like a different attraction to me seeing it in the nighttime. Usually, the sun is streaming in through the glass panes of the pavilion. But just when I thought I was successful with avoiding the screaming child, right behind me one starts to have a melt down at the end. I thought, “those poor parents”. No one wants to have that happen. But Keith and I ran away as fast as we could as far as we could. That one and the one we had on the airplane, I’m done with the under-five set, thank you.

Keith says, “It’s not time for a face lift, yet”…for either of us. Mission: Space made us feel like we were having a face lift. I’m telling you. But we follow directions well and kept our heads back into the headrest. We were on the orange side which spins you around more dramatically. The key to this is you have to play it up. You need to yell out things to your fellow passengers to help the simulation along. Remember, it is a big game that you are playing. If you all are silent during the whole time it just isn’t as fun. “Hit those boosters!”

**It’s extra, extra magic hours and everything is basically a walk on. We walked on the Nemo and friends over at the Seas pavilion and rode our clam mobile. We spent a good amount of time exploring the aquarium. It is split up into different sections, so it is a little more digestible and I appreciate that. We saved Turtle Talk for a time when more children would be around. My thought was that it would be more fun for Crush to interact with a good amount of youngin’s. **

At the beginning of our day, we were at Tomorrowland and we visited Mickey’s Star Traders. Keith liked going into various merchandise shops throughout the Disney World, but rarely made a purchase. I wasn’t half as keen to enter a shop but ended up purchasing more products than he did. Go figure. So we are in Mickey’s Star Traders and I spot a Loungefly bag that I spotted online before our trip. One thing that I did learn in my research is if you want something, you better get it because you might not have the opportunity to get it again. But there will always be an opportunity to return an item. I don’t know what it is about bags, but I was all about bags on this trip. At least in my mind I was. Then I really had a hankering for all of the Loungefly bags. All is not an exaggeration. They just make great backpacks and I wanted them all. I especially liked a Haunted Mansion one, a R2D2 one, another droid one, a Stitch one, you get the picture. But at Mickey Star Traders I saw a castle one. It was stylized so it could be any of the castles but since I was in Walt Disney World, I’m going to say it is Cinderella’s castle. I learned my lesson and decided to purchase it right then in there. Since I was staying on property I had them ship it back to my resort and I would pick it up the next day.

I also learned a little trick in my research which saved me some money. While at home, I got from Target a red card which I linked to my everyday debit card. Then, once I had the red card, I purchased a number of Disney gift cards. Using the Target red card gave me 5% off of the price of the gift card. Sales tax in FL was 6%. I looked at it as if I had made purchases with no tax. It’s a few dollars but every penny helps, especially at Walt Disney World. Guess what I used to purchase my new Loungefly Castle Backpack? It’s smaller than I would prefer. But it won’t be my everyday bag, so that’s just fine.

Imagination was closed. All that was left for us in Future World was Test Track and I had a FastPass+ to use later in the week so there was no reason to wait in a line. I guess we could have done single rider. But it is now 10 pm and I have had about 3 hours sleep. I just never, ever, get much sleep before departing for Disney World. I’m way too excited and can not get a decent night’s sleep. I fell asleep ok, but I woke up after three hours and my mind just would not rest. Back to POFQ via a Disney bus we go.

NEXT: Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, do we make it for rope drop at 6 am?

3 Likes

What is with the folks at Disney and the colons. They are just not good at naming things lately. Have you seen on Disney+ the new High School Musical: The Musical: The series. I mean, really, the redundancy, repetitiveness, neoplasm. Which reminds me that I saw two of the leads of that show at a music festival in Central Park, Elsie Fest. They were ok. Nothing to write home about. Anyway, back to our story.

We were at the French Quarter bus stop and the bus picked us up at 5:20 am. I had gotten about 3 hours sleep because once again my brain was in overdrive and would not shut down. Ugh! So frustrating! By the time I realized a sleep aid would help, it was too late. I would not be able to enjoy a Disney park feeling like I am under water and just want to desperately lie down. Yes, you heard me right, 5:20 am. What am I doing getting up at this hour? I actually was up and getting ready a half hour before. Keith and I had a routine. I would shower and iron my clothes before hitting the sack and he would shower in the morning. While he was showering, I fixed him a cup of coffee supplied by the room. The bus driver was nice and friendly. I don’t expect super cheerfulness at that hour, but it was if he had been driving for two hours already. He greeted us with a smile and then he did an amazing thing. He kept the lights off. He knew that I’m not fully awake yet. It’s early, early, early times at Disney Hollywood Studios. It was one of those new buses. A new bus smell is like a new car smell, apparently.

We arrived at Disney Hollywood Studios. I made it through bag check. I made it through a first check of my magic band to ensure I qualify to enter for extra, extra magic hours. It’s not terribly crowded at all at Hollywood Studios. It’s about 5:40 am. We’re just waiting to get into Hollywood Studios. We have a second check of my magic band and it is off to Galaxy’s Edge. The vast majority of the crowd veers off to the left to head in that direction and a few people veer right to go to Toy Story Land. Every few paces there are groups of cast members guiding our way and greeting us with smiles. Before you know it we are on the planet of Batuu. Soon after entering we were greeted by storm troopers above us patrolling the environment. It is very dark and it is hard to see all of what the planet has to offer. We all wind our way through a queue to enter Millenium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run. Basically, since we were with the first 200 that gained entry into the park it is a walk on. The queue just winds its way through the line established for the attraction. Before you know it, we are given our assignments for being the crew of the Millenium Falcon. We had no time at all to stop at the little area where the original cast would play a version of chess. It was all move, move, move. No time for pictures. Keith and I were assigned the roles of engineers. I was fine with that for my first journey on the Falcon. I would say it was great fun on the attraction. It was a hybrid of Star Tours and Mission Space. I really enjoy both of those, so it works for me. Once again, you have to play along with the experience. The pilots were hearing me shout “Punch it!” Or the gunners would hear me exclaim, “Shoot them down! Now! Do it! Do it”. You need to have fun with the experience. I had a great time. Keith really liked it.

3 Likes

We got in a little spat :wink:

By the time we were finished with our first attraction, it was daylight. We hadn’t eaten. We wandered around a bit exploring Batuu and then it was off to Toy Story Land.

After breakfast I think we explored every nook and cranny of Batuu and took a number of pictures. Next on our agenda was the fairly new Toy Story Land which neither of us had enjoyed. The theming was bright and colorful. There was so much detail. I’m going back to my childhood with the tinker toys and the barrel full of monkeys, the cootie, and everything. Oh, my goodness, it’s crazy! At Swirling Saucers, he was having the time of his life. He was loving it. He had a huge smile on his face the whole time. As soon as it ended, crying. Crying, crying, crying. I don’t know why he was crying. But I was going to go over and say hi he was laughing so much, but I left the scene to his family. I’m not dealing with the crying baby. Nope. Not mine. Slinky Dog Dash was a lot of fun. It was scarier than I imagined. I don’t know how kids could be on that thing. That was kind of scary. That had a lot of ups and downs. Toy Story Mania was fun. I liked the 3D. I really enjoyed actually being able to tell the consequences of your actions. My accuracy was much higher than Keith’s, but he had a higher score, almost doubled mine. I would anticipate that. In our non-Disney lives he is far more active on video games than I am. I hardly ever play at all.

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

It was time for a breakfast Ronto Wrap. We each had one of those and paid out of pocket since our meal plan, we were saving for all our other meals. My breakfast Ronto wrap was really tasty. I enjoyed it a lot, especially the sauce they used. A Ronto Morning Wrap consists of scrambled eggs, grilled pork sausage, shredded cheese, and peppercorn sauce wrapped in a pita. It cost $12.49. To save money I had a $4.25 bottled water. In order to reduce the number of things I would lug around; I left my water bottle at the room. Keith had the same breakfast sandwich but had some caffeine.

NEXT: Thrills beyond Batuu

3 Likes