How early do you pack?

We are 20 days out and yes we have plenty of time, but between work and shuttling kids after school I want to get a head start. I have a box full of odds and ends/toiletries but I dug out the suitcases today to open and air out. How soon do you pack??

It’s never too soon! But honestly, I agree that you can start packing the little things. It’s a bit too early for clothes, unless there’s certain items you can pack that you don’t plan to wear between now and your trip :slight_smile:

I’m two weeks out and want to nail down outfits. No more warm weather clothes here so I should be able to start…

2 Likes

My Disney box is ready to go as soon as we get home. I keep it stocked with all of the toiletries, etc we need.

Clothes get tossed in the day before, sometimes two days

Been doing this long enough and often enough now to know what we really need.

4 Likes

About a week before I start making a checklist and making sure I have everything. Then about 5 days out I pack the “little things” that I know I’m not using at home daily. 3 days out I pack it all. This gives my a day or two to go, “Oh! I forgot I needed xxx”

I’m thinking the same thing! We leave in about 4 weeks. We always end up with a terrible push at the end and I really don’t want this this time. I have to buy clothes for kids though—not enough winter stuff that fits.

1 Like

This checklist is always a thing and never changes. It lives in my AnyList app and I just “undo checkoff item” for the whole list when we get home. Then it’s ready for next time!

3 Likes

About an hour or two before i have to leave… It’s good to be a single guy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My suitcase always has everything but the clothes in it. We travel a lot so I’ve got that down to a science.

I’ll look at what we’ll wear a week or two ahead of time mostly because it might be at our other place in the mountains. We hike in the same stuff we take to WDW.

Nothing gets packed until the day before and I use the same checklist over and over, with a summer and a winter version, to which I add Disney-specific things like “AP pass”, etc.

I think it’s really wise to plan the outfits. And that means actually put them on, right down to the shoes. It really helps keep me from taking too much stuff, and also makes sure I can actually use what I DO take.

I don’t usually do this for Disney, because we use those outfits all the time, but I definitely do it for other travel. We just got back from 10 days in the Northeast, and I still only took my carryons. It’s all I ever take, anywhere, for any length of time because everything I take more or less goes with everything else.

1 Like

LOL.
I’m a confirmed overpacked. The idea of just a carry-on gives me palpitations.

3 Likes

I just hate waiting at bag claim and the thought of the airlines losing my stuff gives me palpitations!

4 Likes

I have been known to start a month out. But definitely by 2 weeks.

3 Likes

We leave Friday (so excited!!!) and I just started packing today. I’ve had a mental list of things to pack for a long time, though.

I leave in 2 weeks and have started laying everything out on our guest bed. Started packing my backpack (my only carryon item) since I wanted to make sure I could fit everything I needed. My suitcase I will start putting clothes in probably after our houseguest leaves this weekend (note to self: clear off the guest bed). I have a checklist/shopping list that I’m constantly adding things to and adapting.

1 Like

I TOTALLY agree! - never too soon!
And no matter how soon i start whether mentally or physically i still end up packing for 24 hours straight up until i leave for the airport! :laughing:
It is horrible! As with all trips this is never my goal but life somehow seems to attack me when i’m about to go on vaca - & this upcoming trip is shaping up to be no different.
Between finalizing things at work, kids’ activities, family gatherings, & STILL have not finalized our plans for this upcoming trip though we leave in a month. I’m already super stressed! :woozy_face:

2 Likes

We start packing maybe two days before and in earnest the day before. But we start making mental and physical checklists well before that.

Love this idea! We use AnyList for grocery and gift lists, so we are totally set up to use it for vacations.

2 Likes

I’m kind of a genius. :wink:

3 Likes

I pack the day before.

1 Like

I leave on 11/11…
This is what I have ready…

9 Likes