How does security work? Can I have my phone/keys in my pocket?

That makes sense. I guess we don’t have metal things in our pockets. But I would have a bum bag (fanny pack), and tissues and maybe change in my pockets. DH carries all his medication in zipped pockets, and a wallet etc. Neither of us had to empty our pockets,

And they always just look through the bag, never once pulled anything out.

Disney, of course, prefers there be no gum since they have to clean it up all over the place. This is why they don’t sell it. But I don’t believe they could ever enforce actually banning it.

1 Like

I wish security was run as it is at Universal. Very fast/efficient/effective.

wow - I went in Jan & again the first week in Sept & never had them take anything out of my bags & I never saw anyone doing that either.

No we’ve never had to pull anything out of bags and I don’t have anything in my pockets but DH always has loads of stuff in his!

I’ve only heard that “pulling things out of the bags” are extremely rare but that some regulars apparently plan for it just in case. Maybe on days there are high alerts for security. Who knows…I’m just assuming now. That’s why I started asking, to confirm. But seeing how much variation there is I figured it can’t hurt for me to mentally prepare for this.

As for gum, I’ve seem a few vlogs mentioning that gum is allowed in the parks but you can’t buy them on any Disney property (not just the parks). Apparently they don’t even sell gum at the Orlando Airport. Again, I have no personal experience with this. All I know is I’m bringing multiple packs of gum. Maybe someone can confirm this?

They definitely don’t sell it on Dis property, I’m not sure about the airport. But it’s not on the banned list.

I should probably clarify about the pulling things out of the bag. The security people (since it happened several times) didn’t take everything out of the bag, but they did root around aggressively and remove several items as they looked. Considering all that was in the backpack was a bag of ponchos, two water bottles, a hat and occasionally a pair of sunglasses, this did seem a bit excessive. It was pretty easy to see exactly what was in the bag without removing anything.

To be fair to the poor security minions, who I pity even as they annoy me, they cannot afford to assume that anything is as it seems. Even a clear water bottle can be modified to conceal weapons or contraband and still look like a full, unopened bottle of water.

The average person is blissfully and enviously unaware of the lengths to which bad actors will go to accomplish their goals. There are very unpleasant realities that require infants and old people to be searched at the airport. Knowing these things doesn’t make it any easier to be on the receiving end of the scrutiny, though. I just keep reminding myself that the security folks are just doing their jobs as instructed. Most of them would prefer not to have to rummage through our crap and don’t enjoy it any more than we do.

Yes, exactly.

In this day and age, full of sick ***** who can go on a shooting spree anytime anywhere, especially somewhere with a lot of innocents, I want annoying, tight security. Even if it’s kind of a pain to lose so much time because of it, I always make sure I am nice to security people and I always thank them for keeping us safe. Same with police officers in high-profile public places like Times Square, baseball stadiums, etc…

I agree. It’s sad how the world has changed so much that we need these precautions. I’d rather my family be safe. I really would like Disney to get the X-ray machines…that’s really the fastest and “most” secure way to do it…maybe just too many entrances. I figure, if I can make it so I can get through security a little faster…it helps not just my family and myself but all the people in line behind me too and security as well. Win win all around :slight_smile: I help bag my groceries when I shop…Why not? I get out faster and so do all the people in line as well. Helps the cashier too. Absolutely got to thank security and the like…very much thankless jobs. But so necessary now.

I am on the security team at our church and we just had active shooter training led by a couple of state police officers. It is the times we live in, sadly.