How do you choose a new resort to visit?

Welcome to the forum! For years I only stayed in POR. I loved that resort. When I decided I want o try something new, I focused on convenience and went to with BC. I was so afraid I wouldn’t like it I did a split stay- one I knew (POR) and new. (BC). My next trip I did BC (old) AKL (new). I will still do a split stay whenever I can to squeeze in extra resorts.

2 Likes

Same here for AKL after staying 5 days in Savannah CL.

1 Like

I can understand your Dilemma. AKL and Poly are two of my favorites too. We just finished up our first stay at Poly and loved everything about it! Staying at AKL in December (second time). I recommend BC or YC if trying a crescent lake resort. We’ve done both and loved them too. I recommend as others have said, to do a split stay. This is how we’ve tried new resorts and figured out our favorites.

1 Like

It’s so hard! I’m the kind of person who always orders the same thing at a restaurant because I know I like it, and I’m always afraid if I try something new it won’t be as good and I’ll be disappointed. So I know exactly where you’re coming from, and it’s x1000 when you’re paying so much money for a vacation! That being said, we’ve been three times and stayed in four different resorts so I’m working against type. I echo what other people have said - make a list of what you definitely want, consider a split stay. Our first trip was to Beach Club and we LOVED IT. On our second trip we decided to try something new and with with AKL because my kids love animals, but it turns out we had overestimated how important “being able to easily get to resorts” was to us, and so we didn’t love AKL as much as we’d loved Beach Club. On our most recent trip we originally booked CBR because, with COVID, we were nervous booking points and we just couldn’t afford deluxe rack rate, and then ended up booking points directly from an incredible liner who was incredibly flexible if we had needed, so we ended up with a split CBR/Poly. Now I know that going forward I don’t care so much about theming, I want a great pool, and to either be on the Skyliner or at an Epcot area resort. Maybe the Riviera next time?

3 Likes

I’ve never met a Disney resort I didn’t love (well, BLT studio wasn’t the best)
The hard thing about buying into DVC for us so far has been that we do enjoy the values and the moderates as well, and end up booking some cash stays for them. For example next feb we will be doing a split stay at OKW (home resort) and AOA.
I’ve loved the options of DVC and have been trying to stay at as many resorts as possible to experience each one at least once. But I do also have my favorites and since we only do 2 trips a year, one of them ends up being our home resort always.

2 Likes

I love to debate the pros/cons. We have never repeated a resort but will on our upcoming split stay (pop). My first step is to pick a few date ranges and get prices and strike any that are just ridiculous. I generally eliminate resorts with multiple bus stops as the only transportation option. I then review the menus and eliminate resorts that will be hard for my kiddos to find quick food. At this point I bring the family in for some opinions. So far our faves are: DD 10-CR DS 8 - Pop DH-FQ Me:WL.

2 Likes