How are you (honestly) feeling about SWGE?

Yes, with the wrong wrap they are horrible. I prefer sun-dried tomato wraps for Ewoks.

1 Like

Considering I didn’t even ride Toy Story Mania for several years until I could actually get a FP (always stay off property), I don’t see myself even peeking inside SWGE for a long time. I hate crowds and waiting. I am a Liner after all. I liked the original movies years ago, but I can’t keep track of all the new characters and storylines. I’m still in love with what Disney used to be so, I too am trying not to “hate” everything that’s going on nowadays. I’m not against progress and change because it really is a great big beautiful tomorrow, but everything now is about making a buck, milking IPs to death and to heck with nostalgia and family and genuine progress. I am not saying the details are not going to be above and beyond amazing, but MGM and Epcot are just former shells of what they used to be and that’s sad to me. I’ve also been spoiled by decades of off-season crowd levels, happier cast members, well staffed parks, manageable wait times and reasonably priced vacations. You have to admit that Bob Iger is a genius to be making the company so much money in every possible area he can, but I believe he lacks the heart of those who came before him. Crowd management and the general business atmosphere of the parks has changed, which I feel is reflected in many of the new additions to the park. HEA gets me in the feels every single time, but the insane amount of people–even in the “handicap” area which keeps getting redefined–just makes me so physically uncomfortable, so no, I’m not excited for SWGE because of the craziness it is likely to cause, not because it’s Star Wars. (BTW, I still can’t get into Pandora, no matter how highly detailed people say it is–I have no emotional connection to the area and could care less about it. FoP is cool and I will ride it, but I won’t take huge amounts of time out of my day to do so.)

In the first draft of the script, it was supposed to be the home planet of the Wookies, but that was changed because (a) it was going to be too expensive/hard, and (b) ESB was so dark, they felt they needed something “cuter” and “funnier” to make up for it. The Ewoks were cute, but they just felt out of place.

1 Like

And more merchandisable. Ewok village probably sold more than a few units. Maybe wookies would have sold too, but introducing something new probably meant more money.

There is not a balance in the force. Not enough classic star wars and too much new star wars. Merch seems to be a little pricey even for Disney. I was at a 7 pre-live video last night…now I’m at a 4.

1 Like

I’ve seen the first three (i.e. IV, V and VI). I’m old enough to have seen IV in the cinema, and I remember it being a really big deal.

I saw Episode I and thought it was meh, so I didn’t see II or III. I think I’ve seen VII and VIII but I’d pretty much lost interest by that point.

I have pretty much zero emotional attachment to the series. My interest will be in the theming: it will be Alien Futureworld to me. Which is still cool. And it looks like it will be very interesting to explore. I have allocated two (part) days to it in December. I’m maybe a 6 out of 10 on the excitement scale.

I’m visiting WWOHP for the third time in July. I’m a 9 out of 10 for that. Maybe a 10, given the new ride.

2 Likes

Good description. Beyond the first three movies (IV, V, VI) I can’t (or haven’t tried to) keep up with the various places. So Alien Futureworld it is.

I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I got teary eyed just now when I read a headline that it was open.

I’ll deal with the crowds and the waits and whatever other things might pop up because, darn it, I’m going to go be a space princess and fly the falcon.

5 Likes

Yes. Bigger and busier.

sigh

We used to have three sit down (civilized) meals a day (pre DDP - so no feeling stuffed), see every attraction we wanted to between meals and an afternoon swim in the awesome resort pool, shop, and visit Epcot (whatever its name was) every evening. With no fast passes. And we traveled as a multiple generation group. Folks fished. Rode horses. Water skied (apparently before alligators). We had fun. For years.

I’m really glad everyone can do WDW more or less their own way. We’re adapting - some days we have no sit down meals. We use some fast passes. Some CMs are still awesome despite efficiency experts’ micromanagement.

I still have to cringe, when relaxing near Casey’s as MK is emptying, when a herd of street cleaning machines goes toward the Castle. Walt would never have allowed that.

I guess I can live with the bigger busier if it keeps some of the magic going.

1 Like

Been watching a few videos now. Lawdy it looks good! I even am amazed at the forced perspective of the spires (like how the ones in the “back” and shaded lighter to look like they’re miles away). Just top notch level of detail.

2 Likes

Was that a special circumstance? I’ve only ever seen street-sweep crews when there was a hazard that needed to be dealt with immediately.

:point_up_2:t2:This…I have wanted to fly that ship for almost 40 years and I will wait in whatever line it takes to do so

5 Likes

They really are. I love the Ewoks but I was 8 when I saw RotJ in the theatre. Wicket can do no wrong.

1 Like

I don’t object to SWGE. On the other hand if they decided to go with Winnie-the-Pooh instead, it wouldn’t bother me.

3 Likes

I never actually wanted to fly the Falcon, m’self. The ship always seemed to be a headache to fly, especially with the cockpit being on the right of everything else.

Ride in it, yup. Walk through it, absolutely. But not fly it.

Now, an X-Wing? All. Friggin. In.

3 Likes

I like that and I liked Tom Bricker’s description of it as Space Morocco. Exploring it looks fun, if there are ever low enough crowds for it to feel like exploring.

Getting inside the Millennium Falcon sounds amazing regardless. I don’t want to fly it but I’ll happily take on one of the other roles. In a few years.

3 Likes

It was a few trips ago. Maybe folks complained and it has stopped until guests were completely gone.

MK was closed. Guests leaving. A group of noisy street cleaning machines were being pushed up Main Street, just passing Casey’s. I was astonished but I couldn’t tell if anyone else thought it odd. Nobody seemed to give them a second glance. I don’t think it was a special cleanup. There were four to six of the machines. Guys acting as tho they’d done this same exercise more than once.

Interesting concept. Winnie the Pooh: Rise of the Resistance

I assume you’d be fighting the bees for their honey. :rofl:

4 Likes

Or helping Eyore wrestle Tigger into a Stormtrooper uniform.

2 Likes

Forget what I said, apparently there’s going to be solo-rider lines. :smile:

3 Likes