How are you (honestly) feeling about SWGE?

In the long run, Star Wars will probably even out WWOHP. But then Universal are building their third park as an answer. Nowhere near the popularity of HP or SW though.

But when Disney announced the immersive Star Wars Resort, Universal approached JKR with a similar proposal. She flatly refused, so they lose out on that.

They still hold the trump cards on Marvel in Orlando though.

2 Likes

I keep seeing this acronym floating around and while I get the gist of what it’s communicating, I can’t for the life of me figure out what it stands for! :see_no_evil: Someone enlighten me, please!!

2 Likes

Intellectual property. It is all good. As a whole, I think Disney fans throw around an insane amount of acronyms.

4 Likes

As noted above, Intellectual Property. My gripe is when they are mixed inappropriately, like Minnie dressed up like Princess Leia. I hate to think of what Disney would do with HP - Donald in Slytherin?

5 Likes

Thanks, guys!

And I totally agree…

… Would be ghastly. :grimacing:

1 Like

soooo she’s insane.

After seeing a breakdown of the new lightsabers, I’m a little less jazzed. The things look like they’re huge, like near the size of a soda can. :frowning:

The features are cool though. I think I’ll have to see them in person before making a final decision. Plus I’ll likely have to ship my lightsaber home because I fear the blade will present a problem in the overhead bins.

2 Likes

we planned a trip january 2 of this year when they announced free dining for the late summer window, which was unheard of. all the rumors were that they were having trouble filling rooms and people were waiting until “late fall” due to that being the timeframe disney kept pushing and pushing for GE. everything made sense to look like an october opening and we planned a labor day week trip to have that holiday off.

then everything nearly went up in smoke when they announced a flipping august opening. we suddenly were there for opening week and i was enraged. i mean i was swearing up a storm and i nearly cancelled our trip within an hour of the announcement. the only reason to this point i haven’t cancelled was because we had already purchased airfare and would lose out that money.

i wrote a 6 page email to disney explaining my heartbreak at the decision and my hope that they could do something to make my dilemma easier. no dice, they didn’t care. i got acknowledgment of my email, but a “we would have to do something for everyone if we did anything for you.” this is not the world famous customer service from disney that used to exist. i felt like the reaction was “too bad, so sad.”

so, to answer the original question, no, i’m not excited. we like SW but were willing to wait a few years before seeing it. in no reality did we want to be there opening week. touring plans has helped me keep my sanity between the youtube videos and blog, and thus i subscribed. i am praying their predictions are accurate, as the other parks still have low numbers for our week, but i know GE is throwing a wrench in everything. still figuring there will be some sort of reservation system announced for HS once this opening at disneyland passes. i can’t see how they could just let it be a free-for-all, from a safety standpoint alone. if they offer reservations, i will go for one, but i want no part of standing in line to get in.

my biggest concern is getting into HS at all, as there are plenty of other things we also want to see. hoping the announced EEMH will help us in that regard. and fingers crossed the other parks stay lower-ish. with people still having to work and go back to school, i’m hopeful people aren’t planning big family vacations for that week. the star wars diehards will be there, but i’m hoping they are not spending the money on park hopping and don’t really care about the other parks, and hoping they are shelling out to stay on-site. my hope is riding on a lot of things. i just don’t want our trip ruined, which we had planned long before GE opening (in fact, i had made our ADRs all of 2 days before the announcement). i’ve already had to rearrange days twice.

3 Likes

she is kind of insane though. that “8th book” was atrocious and i refuse to accept that it exists, and her other writings were so bad i couldn’t get through them. she struck gold with potter and should have just kept herself there. the new films are ok, but not great, like trying way too hard.

3 Likes

I’ve only seen the first Fantastic Beasts film and it was pretty hard going. Her Strike books (under the name of Robert Galbraith) are brilliant though.

3 Likes

I love the Strike novels! DH got the first 2 or 3 for me for Christmas in 2016 (whatever was out at the time, I don’t quite remember) but I do remember when the 4th came out I gobbled it up in a matter of days. But I had to read the ending several times before I sorta understood what happened there.

2 Likes

Uh-hu I think I now have a new series that will make me ignore my family. Can’t wait to try!

3 Likes

Just be warned, the first one is the mildest and after that they all have varying amounts of grisly content and some gore. Very well written & thrilling detective novels, but not for the weak of stomach!

2 Likes

I also jus ordered a 400 page “report” so we will see which book gives me relief from which!

2 Likes

Incredibly excited and anxious to be there. I’d spend 200 on the lightsaber if money wasn’t a problem.
Looking forward to being there!

1 Like

I must confess this worries me. I am not a team player, I do not like to share my toys. I see a lot of teeth grinding from my seat here. But even crashing in the millennium falcon is crashing IN THE BLOOMING MILLENNIUM FALCON!!!
There are worse fates I guess.

4 Likes

Don’t think of it as working together on a team, think of it as yelling at someone else’s kids to do their job.

9 Likes

Oh that sounds like fun! I’m much less worried now.

1 Like

Sadly, that is a problem across the board in this internet age where things are tweeted, facebooked, posted on message boards (like this), etc. A company does X for someone because of Y, person posts about it on some form(s) of social media (or a friend who hears about it does), the info spreads, and suddenly the company is hit up by everyone who feels that they are equally affected by Y and all those people are demanding X…or more.

Same with special things that used to happen - like on the ships, you could drop off items (framing mats, pillowcases, etc.) at Guest Services to have them signed by the characters. At first it was unlimited, but word spread on the internet and they tried limiting it to 2 items per cabin, but even then the demand was so great it was simply becoming impossible for the CMs who could do the signing to keep up with it, so they cut it off completely.

I’m not saying it’s right. I’m just saying that a decline in offering things is at least in part due to social media.

2 Likes

i know, and it sucks. people can’t keep things to themselves in today’s world of “oversharing”.

3 Likes

I am 99.9% certain that they were expecting to get universal praise for opening early, and they did not even consider that some people would be unhappy that it will be open for their vacation.

4 Likes