How are you (honestly) feeling about SWGE?

DH is a huge SW fan so he’s super excited but hates crowd so perfectly fine waiting 3 years. Kids and I could care less. However DH announced that we must stay in the SW hotel next time - it’s like a dream come true. I think I convinced him that it wouldn’t be a place the kids or will enjoy and told him I’d be fine with him taking. 2 night solo trip some day. He’s not really interested in the rides - especially Falcon if like ST. He just wants to see the land in its beauty and eat etc which I can handle.

I don’t think I like what this is doing to Disney. HS is already a zoo. This is going to bring in a completely new anti-princess (except Leila) demographic. I wish they would amp up fantasyland or something to compete or make the castle a place to stay (I know there is an impossible to get castle suit already).

1 Like

I am very excited about SWGE, but for me Star Wars was a big influence on my childhood. I remember when HS opened and I loved it, but I’m pretty sure that original concept wouldn’t work today anyway. DW doesn’t really care at all about it, but is willing to humor me and the kids. The good news is that I’m hoping to get in 1-2 solo trips over the next year so that I can really enjoy my time at SWGE.

1 Like

^This. I have been very disappointed with the way that they have gutted HS over the years, totally abandoning the original concept. Might as well just call it Disney IP land now…

4 Likes

It’s a boondoggle after all, it’s a boondoggle after all…

1 Like

I’m glad we are going next month. This way we can see all of HS and then next trip just focus on GE. I’m a big HP fan and was disappointed that I could not do anything when we went because of my size. I am so put off with Universal that I will not go back. i know they have added a lot since we were there but I’m not paying $180 - $200 just to ride the train. I can ride about 90% of what Disney offers and only 20% of what Universal has.
DW saw a v-log on building your own droid and I would not ask to do this at this price point DW said that I have to do it so she can help, lol.

2 Likes

Still over the moon excited but I named one of my kids after Obi Wan Kenobi.

5 Likes

I miss the Backlot Tour, even though it ended up as a shadow of what it was, and LMA. I also miss the Streets of America. I have memories of meeting the Power Rangers there with youngest DS, and of the Blues Brothers that would play.

I loved the Animation Studios too. And GMR was a fun ride.

Never saw the Osborne Lights, sadly.

2 Likes

It was a great shame when they got rid of the lights - they were amazing.

3 Likes

Can’t wait. Take my money.

My childhood was Star Wars.

8 Likes

I’m equal parts excited and nervous. We’re not going until next March so I’m anxious to know when the second ride is going to open, because I’m hoping crowds will have died down a little. My kids are too young for Star Wars but also Star Wars fans - they know the Lego stuff and the general characters, and my son’s favourite ride from our last trip was Star Tours. My little guy probably won’t be tall enough for either, although I’m hoping against hope that he can hit 38’, but my older son will and he’s probably going to LOVE this, assuming, of course, they’re offering fast passes by then. I’ll make sure we have an HS day at the end of our trip so we can hopefully score something.

Personally, I was blown away by Pandora, so I’m just excited to go look around.

1 Like

So…no pressure. I’ll just spend my SW:GE reservation time ignoring my 3 children and all their requests shall be met with “Not now, Mommy’s busy getting every detail to include in the report the Liner community demands!”

Or better, yet, stick the husband with the 3 of them & have my own personal SW:GE experience. I think he’ll go for that with no complaints :laughing:

9 Likes

ZERO excitement over here… never watched a movie, don’t have any interest in any part of SWGE… not even exploring… wish it had not been built right behind TSL… Slinky and TSMM are the reasons I plan a day at DHS… neither our kids (who we will take in feb of 2020) nor DH (he and i go oct 2nd 2019) have any Star Wars love…

1 Like

I am a very casual SW fan (compared to a hard-core Harry Potter fan) and so my initial thoughts on anything SWGE are usually along the lines of: Why couldn’t Disney have gotten Harry Potter so I get the WDI version of WWoHP?
Side note:I will admit USO did a very compelling job of it. And even though the one trip I’ve been to it, only the Hogsmeade half existed & no Hogwarts Express, I didn’t want to leave and DH & I spent our last hours in USO sipping Butterbeers and admiring the Owl Post with me imagining what nook or cranny I could slip away into to be able to never have to leave, even when such a thing as theme park operating hours were an obstacle to me living out my dream of being a real-life witch attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry (sorted into Ravenclaw house, obviously).

Back on topic: Throughout the cycle of SWGE, I have varied from elation at the immersive marvel it promises to be all the way to dread & hatred especially in the changes it is certain to forever bring.

Today, right this minute, I am very much in the middle but that’s a long way down from where I was at an absolute high of excitement when Disneyland reservations were announced & we were able to procure one. I will admit the one detail that has brought me way down is learning that one of the things I was most excited about- Savvi’s Workshop- will cost $199 and only one person can accompany the person participating. We’ll stay outside the elusive doors with their secret symbol & code word required to enter & play the for free Parks Play apps experiences that the land promises to be rich with & still have a grand time. And eat some space food and peruse the market for any & everything interesting it is sure to be full with.

As for the MF ride, depending on how they manage rider switch, we’ll decide day of if we do it or not, but I will say, from the more I’ve learned about how it is interactive with your choices impacting the mission yet has a very low-learning curve and yet somehow still is supposed to be able to offer challenge to repeat & frequent visitors, the more curious and even excited I get. Although, I am holding back getting super-excited in the event that rider switch isn’t practical for our family in the 4 hr reservation block we have.

And one last thought: I am seizing the opportunity now to enjoy the land and hopefully do the 1 existing ride with a FREE reservation (at Disneyland) so that I don’t have to wait & see what it will cost once it’s fully operational, where I fully expect that FP for all of it will be $$$$$ and just walking into the land may cause a spontaneous combustion on my part since as frequent visitors it’s really hard to justify any kind of $$ upcharge, let alone $$$$ or $$$$$.

1 Like

Disney were offered Harry Potter. But they didn’t want to give Joanne the level of control over the design that she asked for.

So she went to Universal, who said “yes”. And they got some of the set design team from the movies in to help design Hogsmeade (and later, Dragon Alley).

Disney had their chance lol! And they ended up going to James Cameron, and giving him quite a bit of control - they had learned the hard way.

2 Likes

Ugh. I’ve heard Disney was offered the chance too but wasn’t sure if it was more than a rumor. You’re a very credible source so hearing it from you just adds to my envy that I don’t have a WDI rendering of WWoHP.

1 Like

On a scale of 1 to 10, I’m a 7. I grew up a big Star Wars fan, and now I have kids of my own who are huge Stars Wars fans. However, I wasn’t excited enough for me not to reschedule our long planned late August trip which ended up coinciding with WDW SW:GE opening. (Had an ADR at Sci-Fi Dine-In on Aug. 29). And even my 9 year old kids get why we have rescheduled a week earlier. They don’t want to wait all day and deal with the crowds either. They are Liners at heart.

So, I’m in the category of very excited to eventually see SW:GE (2021?), but I can wait.

1 Like

Im trying to talk my wife into letting me take a long weekend in September to go down. We are there as a family in August but leave on the 28th. The more i hear,the less i think i can wait a few years

1 Like

I wonder how much that decision cost them.

And how critical for UOR it was.

4 Likes

I don’t think they could have done it better, to be fair.

3 Likes

Agreed. And with it at UOR, we don’t get any ridiculous tie-ins with other IP, as Disney is wont to do.

2 Likes