How are we feeling about DVC Moonlight Magic events at HS in September and October?

So, our short October trip was initially booked because we were going to try for the 10/6 event. We’d kind of written the special events off as not going to happen, but it appears that they’re still holding the dates at HS on Tuesday, September 15, 2020; Tuesday, September 22, 2020; and Tuesday, October 6, 2020.

Given the fact that, except for opening days at MK and HS every single other day (including the entire Thanksgiving weekend and 12/24-12/26 and New Year’s Eve) still has full availability for reservations, I’m wondering if a free event might not actually be busier than the park during the day just because it’s free.

Does anyone have any thoughts? We haven’t done any of these events before, so I don’t know how busy they actually are, but they always sell out. Do we think they’ll limit the tickets even further to preserve the “specialness” of the event, or will they just do the normal since it’s free so nobody can complain?

Also, how much harder is it going to be to get tickets, given that all of the events in June, July, and August were cancelled? We figured this would be higher demand anyway, since it’s HS, but how prepared should I be to get shut out?

Lastly, given the fluid nature of planning at the moment, if they cancel the event within 30 days (when we normally wouldn’t be able to cancel without the points going into “holding”, which means they couldn’t be banked for next year) do you think they’d be more flexible on the cancellation policy? This one isn’t a real concern, since all but 10 of the points were 2019 points and would be expiring anyway, but I like to get my ducks in a row.

I called today because the DVC website has changed from listing the registration dates to “check back later.” The CM confirmed that the registration dates have been delayed, which to me is a n indication that the event will be cancelled.

1 Like

We booked a DVC around a moonlight magic night and while it does now say, “check back later” the registration dates and details are still there. I am going to call at my designated time, if we get a spot for our group reservation we’ll keep our DVC dates. If we don’t get a spot we’ll cancel and bank our points. But I am hoping for the best right now.

1 Like

I thought you couldn’t call to get tickets? It says that you have to use the website (which, as I’m sure you know, sucks even worse than the general Disney site).

You cannot call – you have to register online when it opens

1 Like

THe registration dates are still listed in the sub-drop down window, I asked about that, but those dates have been delayed. The CM advised to keep checking the site for any further news on new registration dates, or cancellation.

Well… bah… I’ve never done a mmn. thanks for all the great intel :wink:

I’m not giving up yet – I also planned my Sept trip around the event. But I’m bracing myself…

:pensive::flushed::sweat::disappointed_relieved: I WANT to go!!!

Yes, I went 2 years ago. It was great. And I snagged spots for April for MK, and that was cancelled with all this. Between this and the rising numbers in Florida, now I just don’t know what I’ll do. So I’ll keep checking the site, I guess.

1 Like

Like I said, we had mostly figured it wasn’t happening when they cancelled the others, so we moved into a more resort-based adults-only trip plan, if we even go.

1 Like

I think the cost of the event might be a concern for DVC.

1 Like

When I went to DHS 2 years ago, everything was walk on, except early in the evening SDD was maybe 15 minutes – then later it was pretty much walk-on. Galaxy’s edge wasn’t open, so no idea there. From what I’ve seen of the CM and AP preview days, it looks about the same in terms of walk-ons, amount of people, etc.

Based on my one experience, I don’t know why they would have to limit it any further to maintain the new protocols.

Well, for the first day you have to have a reservation and all indications are reservations are way down (though hard to know what the proportion of reservations are DVC members) so I expect the chances are decent for the early registration day. If it happens!

Good question. I doubt it. But I expect they will decide more than 30 days before the first scheduled MM for exactly this reason.

1 Like

The AP preview days were NOT crowded at all… would that be a good indicator?

1 Like

Exactly.

But I don’t want to keep telling you how great MM its in case we have our plans and dreams crushed – again!

1 Like

You are SO thoughtful, thank you :two_hearts: I’ve had SO many hopes and dreams crushed these past few months that one more wouldn’t even feel like piling on :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, I keep looking at the site for that too… we were hoping to be able to go during our September trip this year, but no idea if MM will actually happen (sort of assuming not at this point based on the changed website language), or even if our trip will happen (that’s up to Florida case numbers as we get closer to our trip).

1 Like

where online? In MDE? I’ve never done it before, I’ve got it on my calendar, but I obviously didn’t know enough. I’m a newbie w/ DVC. We bought in Jan and have yet to be able to use. Had to cancel our first DVC trip :frowning:

So what will happen – if there is registration – is the location on that Members Exclusive Benefits Moonlight Magic page where on the right side it now says “check back later” will go live as a link. Then you get put in a queue. Then hopefully you get out of the queue and get to register, you have to have your DVC member number – and I think I remember also your resort reservation confirmation number – ready.

1 Like

Thank you, Kind Person!

1 Like