Hotel question

Sorry to dredge up this old thread but is this still true?

I’m considering a split stay at UOR and I would stay 2 nights Cabana Bay then 1 night Portofino. Trying to figure out how I’d get my luggage to Portofino. I’d have to swing by there to get express passes, but it would be easier to not have to haul all the luggage if Universal will move it for me.

Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know myself but maybe @sanstitre_has_left_the_building or @Shmebulock might. I think they’ve both switched from a value to a deluxe.

2 Likes

I did Royal Pacific to Cabana Bay last summer. I wasn’t aware of any kind of transfer service and just schlepped over myself.

3 Likes

We just took an overnight bag from CB to HRH. We had to be minimal with what to pack for going through bag check and through city walk.

The next day we left our bags at HRH and picked them up later to take back to CB.

If you’re packing things that won’t make it through City Walk security then you’d likely have to use buses.

The easiest transfer would be CB to RPR because there’s no security barrier between them.

1 Like

I’m glad this thread came up as I have been thinking about asking questions here for awhile. We will be in Orlando for next spring break as my work has a conference there that ends when my DD’s spring break starts. So why not take advantage of the free flight.

She is finally super interested in Universal and HP and big roller coasters.

Details:

1. We will do a split stay using DVC points at Disney for 4 nights and cash stay at Universal for 2 nights

2. They can fly in on Saturday and stay the night with me at the conference hotel so that we are ready to go to the parks on what would otherwise be our arrival day - Sunday. We will go to Disney first so we don’t have to use premimum weekend points .

3. Given the “week before Easter” crowds I want express pass.

4. Prices at the deluxe universal hotels on the busiest weeks are shocking to me at $800 a night. My brain is balking at it so the idea of the split is brilliant.

Thoughts on this plan? I try not to make things too complicated, but my family can roll with multiple hotel transfers. My only issue is being without a room to take a break.

• Sunday: leave conference hotel and check in DVC. Go to park.
  • Monday-Wednesday - WDW parks and resort time.
  • Thursday - get up very early and transfer to RPR, check in and get express pass and hit parks for Early Access.
  • Friday - transfer to a cheaper Universal hotel. Get up early check in bags to be transferred, get to parks for EA and use express pass.
  • Saturday - check out. Hit park with EA. Leave midday for airport.

Questions:

1. Will it be too hard to do all three EA with all of the checking in and checking out?
  2. How much before RD do you need to be to take full advantage of EA?
  3. Would you rent a car, so you could drive to the hotels and UOR parks each day? What is driving and parking like at the parks?(With a car we would 't need to hit bell service any morning or worry about being on first buses).
  4. What non-deluxe would you recommend? Consider price and convenience.
  5. With three days of EA do we really need express pass (CL10 assumed)

Thank you for your thoughts! This is a new world of planning. Usually I choose to spend a little more to make things more convienient but I don’t think I can pay 2 nights at that price.

2 Likes

Not at all. I’ve never had to wait long to check in or out that early at any UOR resort.

30 mins.
Maybe 45 if you want to be first at the taps and beeline for Hagrid (remember it doesn’t have EP).

There is absolutely no need for a car at UOR (do keep in mind that they do charge for overnight resort parking and always have).
At RPR you are already closer to the parks than if you used the car park. CB is only another ten minutes further along the garden path. If you used Endless Summer resorts the buses are very reliable (no personal experience there).

Cabana Bay.
I love that resort.
However, that’s based on amenities and room space which are important for longer stays.
For only 1 night you likely wouldn’t get the chance to appreciate all it has to offer, so the only winning quality is it’s proximity to RPR for super easy transfer.

CL10? Sounds scary. Get EP!! :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Thank you so much! This helps mr start to get a plan, and know what to start looking for on maps etc.

It also takes away that feeling of a pit in my stomach about price. I will have to take a look and see if there is a world where DD/DH come in Sunday and we stay at CB two nights. With the lower price itnis suddenly a possibility.

2 Likes

Some alternative perspectives …

Here’s the strategy I used successfully in December. I arrived at IOA about 15 mins before RD. The lines looked huge, but moved quickly once they opened.

I then headed to VC. Everyone goes to Hagrid. So unless you are at the front of that pack, you still have a big wait on your hands, assuming the ride is actually running — apparently it is not always ready to go first thing.

VC was a walk-on. I then went to FJ, which was a walk-on. I then headed to 3B for breakfast, which had a bit of a line: maybe 15 mins?

Having analysed the data, I waited until around noon for Hagrid. There is a noticeable drop in wait times at lunchtime and the wait was posted as 70 mins, which was the lowest I saw it that day.

I don’t understand why people would arrive at RD 45 mins early. You have the misery of getting up really early, and the wait is super-boring. There’s nothing to see or do and you’re just standing there.

I (much?) prefer Aventura over CB. I’ve stayed at CB twice. The first time I paid extra for a VB view room. The view was disappointing because of the curious architecture of the towers. And the room was a really long way from the lobby. It was nice to be able to walk to the parks, but it took about 10 mins just to leave CB itself.

The second time I had a regular room. It had porthole-style windows. I found it featureless and gloomy.

I’ve stayed at Aventura once (so far, ahem). I paid extra for a Skyline view and had a fantastic view of … VB. Because of the design of the hotel, no room is far from the lobby, though you do have to use elevators. The hotel is clean and modern, and a shorter walk to the parks. You can also walk to VB.

CB and Aventura are usually the same price. I rebooked my June hotel last night having spotted some AP rates. I chose Aventura over CB and it wasn’t a close call.

During my ill-fated June trip last year, I paid over $300 for a one day EP for just myself. It was very poor value. I barely took advantage of it.

It very much depends on your plans. Some things don’t need EP, e.g. the Bourne Stuntacular (you’re actually better off using the standby line — your wait is the same and you’re more likely to end up in the middle of the theatre). Some things desperately need it if you get the timing wrong, for example HE — even with EP that can be a long wait.

Maybe buy one day’s worth. But maybe wait until you’re actually there. Try Day 1 without it and see how you get on.

3 Likes

Note that there’s speculation that VC is gearing up to get EP soon, so Hagrid will be the hot ticket RD option.

And for reference, all my advice is based on July crowds.

3 Likes

Thank you for these perspectives! The RD plan sounds more like my family’s RD style. No matter how hard we try we generally arrive around the times the tapsyles open, but before the park opens. Basically we RD EE, not FOP and PP not 7DMT. We are also excited for VC having ridden a sister coaster at Busch Gardens.

I suspect we will also want to explore Diagin Alley while it is empty, so perhaps this would be our goal for day two after a trip to Ollivander’s day 1. Jumping in a line before the park opens to everyone.

Since there are three of us, the one night at $800 for 2 days of EP is cheaper than one day of EP out of pocket. The split stay makes the math work immeasurably.

Excellent intel. Ryan (my DH) hates a long walk from the lobby to the room. It is a pet peeve for him, especially at amusement parks. I don’t mind a good walk if it is within interesting parts of a resort, but for some reason endless hallways bug me.

3 Likes

To me that’s arriving late :rofl:

The morning we transferred to HRH, we were well behind the RD crowds. When we got there our waiting position was behind the ticket kiosks with no semblance of line structure. I found it a little stressful being that far back, but we still did manage to have a reasonably short wait for Hagrid and still not much of a line for VC afterwards.

The difference it made for us was that those pretty much used the entire EP time rather than being able to have a pick of a third and fourth ride before the regular park entry crowds arrived. In fact we saw the sea of people arriving from the top hat on VC :laughing:

This is the way!
EP is awesome and I don’t think you should consider going without it if you’re expecting CL10.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the option of AP for better hotel rates at premier hotels. That is the route we are taking this spring break and we saved $400 per night compared to savvy traveler rates for RPR. That more than makes up the $120 difference between tickets and AP. But definitely check the blackout dates. Our spring break just missed them this year.

2 Likes

Do they always run AP specials? We will be staying over spring break. I thought about getting an AP to help save money but I thought we might not ever get the discount.

You don’t need the AP in hand to book the AP rate, so can book it if it pops up and sort out the AP purchase later if it works out in your favor.

5 Likes

@heathernoel universal is soooo much easier than Disney in so many ways. Tom Bricker just wrote an article on his blog comparing express pass an lightening lanes:

Wanted to chime in on hotels- keep an eye on magical vacation travels website. They don’t have much for Disney but always seem to have premium hotels for very busy weeks at universal. I was able to snag hard rock for $400 a night during for March spring break which beats current AP rates.

And agreed with @Shmebulock’s comments- no need for a car. All premium resorts are walkable to the parks and I have had very easy early check ins to nab express passes every time. You can technically check in online the night before so you are basically done when you get to the desk.

Finally, with VC now being on express pass, I don’t know if I’m going to do early entry again! It’s fantastic when hagrids is running but I feel more often than not when I’ve gone the past year, there was always a delayed start. Grabbing a ride just before close will save you time and I’d argue a better ride experience since it’s only lit by the motorcycles headlights.

I’m feeling like @darkmite2 over here! Total universal convert and will be going on my 4th trip this year in a couple weeks. It will be my last one on this AP and I’m bummed but also can’t rationalize doing it again until epic universe opens. Disney certainly does a lot of things right (food at the parks ranking high on that comparison) but it’s just so much work to go there now. Genie plus works if you know how to work it but I love that I can roll into Universal with my EP and ride what I want when I want instead of modifying, setting timers q2h, clicking for VQs at 7a etc. It’s just become a far more relaxing trip for me!

12 Likes

This describes me too!

DH mooted the idea of going to DLP in the summer and I was entirely meh about it. Then we checked the prices and it was a firm no. Legoland will do!! :laughing:

3 Likes

Ha! I’m doing Legoland with the kiddos in May! I don’t know if you already booked a trip but I got 50% off on a Black Friday sale (day after our thanksgiving). Might be worth it to wait for that if it fits with your time line

2 Likes

Oooh - thank you for the magical vacations travel heads up. I would love to not have to change hotels, but i need a steep discount to make that work financially.

And looking forward to reading the article! It is strange to go to a new park and have no sense of the space and timing.

It sounds like jumping in line for Hagrid’s at the end of the night is the way to go. I personally think we would love to use early entry to explore the Harry Potter spaces before the crowds arrive. So not having to use that time everyday for Hagrid’s will be nice.

4 Likes

Agree with every last thing you said

2 Likes

You are totally right. Using early park admission to explore diagon alley and hogsmeade is definitely the way to go

5 Likes