Hopeful Cancer Survivor trip in April

Hi there,
I have a trip to DLR coming up in April and I am very hopeful that it will be one celebrating a cancer-free body. Anyone know of any sites for Disney lovers/goers who have struggled or are struggling with cancer? The treatment for my cancer diagnosis is standard and typically successful but nonetheless this is a scary time for me and my little family (DH, DD4, DS 6 months :frowning: ). The next couple of months will be pretty grueling to prepare my body for treatment and the actual treatment will require me being in partial isolation. I will be needing any forms of happy thoughts and distractions I can get and would love to hear from others what types of things to focus and plan your trip around when you have undergone a grueling time in your life and are headed to the happiest place on earth. Itā€™s a very long story but, I had 2 surgeries this past week first to remove one half of my thyroid, then the other once it was deemed cancerous. They are also saying the cancer cells may have spread, thus why I will be undergoing treatment. After the last surgery I simply put on a Disneyland walk through YouTube video and let the Main Street music wash over me, it was music to my soul and I shed a few tears simply because of how much joy it brought in the midst of awfulness. I know so many of you know what I mean and have experienced the feeling :slight_smile: Anyway, just thought Iā€™d share a bit of my struggle with fellow Disney lovers and planners, as most people around me donā€™t quite fully understand why I brought my Vera Bradley Mickey backpack (aka my ā€œhappy bagā€) to the hospital or why I am diligently searching for Disney themed pill organizers for the pills I must now takeā€¦ I have to slip in the Disney Magic however I can so that some sunshine can beam through this sad time.

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis and I totally understand the need for a Disney escape from reality. I donā€™t know of any sites to recommend, but wanted to say good luck on your treatment! As for ways to keep yourself busy during isolation- plan a theoretical dream trip to WDW. Make it 2 weeks long and spend your time in isolation obsessing over all the details. This can easily fill your week. Make TPā€™s, plan ADRā€™s and FPP, the whole bit. If you finish before isolation ends, plan a trip to one of the other parks (like Paris or Tokyo) or plan a cruise. Hope this helps.

Oh thatā€™s a great idea! Thanks for the encouragement as well, Iā€™m very hopeful for a successful treatment albeit a rough rode to get there.

1 Like

Canā€™t imagine what youā€™re going through. Just wanted to send good wishes and prayers to you and your family.

Oh thank you I so appreciate that :blush: Iā€™m hopeful for a positive result at the end of this and a trip that will be celebrating an end to a trying time, but itā€™s scary and uncertain nonetheless.

1 Like

Good Morning
my husband went through a stem cell transplant last year for myeloma. I understand exactly what your family is going through. Please find strength in our story in that my husband successfully went into remission and we are planning a May trip to WDW to celebrate.
Cancer treatment is a rough road but you will come out the other side healthy and ready to meet Mickey!

1 Like

Joining in with my well wishes & happy thoughts for your health & recovery!!! I canā€™t imagine how it must be to have your little family go through such a health scare! Thank you for sharing! A Disney trip will be the perfect way to celebrate!!! I love the idea of planning a dream WDW trip during isoloation :slight_smile:

Best wishes and canā€™t wait to hear about your celebratory trip!

Thanks for your thoughtful responses and prayers :slight_smile: I am very hopeful that we will be celebrating in April, so much so that weā€™re buying tickets this morning! If it isnā€™t a celebration of ridding my body of cancer, then itā€™ll at least be a restfful and happy trip in the midst of some grueling months.

Iā€™m so sorry you have to go through such a scary ordeal. I hope that planning a Disney trip will give you a much needed escape during your treatment. Youā€™ll have something to look forward to at the end of it! Sending good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

I was just diagnosed with brain cancer the day after Christmas and had a tumor removed one week ago. Will begin radiation soon. Planning our annual Disney trip for the fall. Right here with you and fully intend on planning as if Iā€™m ā€œnormal.ā€ That might be pie in the sky, but I canā€™t accept NOT doing this. So, solidarity, sister! Your trip will be amazing!

2 Likes

Prayers and positive wishes for full recovery and a great Disney trip.

Thanks!!! I canā€™t wait!