Honoring loved ones

Hello, we are going to WDW from 12/10 - 12/19 as a bit of an escape from the Holidays at Home. It will be my husband, my mom and myself. This past January we lost my Dad unexpectedly, then in May my Aunt unexpectedly, then my grandmother in June, again unexpectedly, and last week we had to put down the family dog who was declining but we didn’t think she was dying. My family loved Disney so much and I went to WDW with my dad over 20 times and with my aunt and grandmother a few times. We want to do something to honor them while we are there, but know that doing ballon releases are bad, can’t spread ashes. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you

1 Like

First, I am so sorry for your losses. That is a lot for one family to endure. I hope you have a magical trip to honor each of them!
In terms of your question, I know it’s simple but I would think about my favorite memories at a ride/show/event with each person from WDW and when you repeat that activity this trip, take a moment beforehand to share something special about them/the memory.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for all of the loss you have experienced this year. How awful for all of you!

I don’t have any ideas, but I know the great people here will.

3 Likes

I can not for the life of me recall who visited WDW with a memorial mission. I wish I could. It seems they had made several somethings that they were then handing out.

It might have been this year because it seems recent but maybe recent for me goes further back. :thinking::wink::blush:

It sure seemed like a great idea.

4 Likes

So sorry for all the losses you and your family have endured. I think something like what @Sunshiney_Disney_Momma suggested. Maybe write the memories out ahead of time so you don’t feel pressured to come up with something on the spot. Perhaps have some thank you cards/notes ready to give to any CM that helps you during the ride/show/attraction with something like “Thanks for helping us honor the memory of our ____, you helped make a hard year just a little better” or something like that. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Its definitely going to be a bittersweet trip. My mom was married 39 years, so its her first trip traveling without a significant other. And its our first trip without my dad. We have so many memories there with him and even my grandmother. Im sure there will be tears, but Im hoping there will be new memories and happy moments that will help brighten our spirits and bring joy to us. The dog passing seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back. We have all struggled with grief and sadness all year with all those losses but then to lose our furry companion, whose name was Dismey, was just too much. I’m hoping this trip will be a much needed distraction. My mom’s bday is 12/13, so I have shirts and custom ear hat set up for her. I really want this trip to be special, relaxing, and just an escape from reality. Thank you for your kindess and your guidness.

3 Likes

There’s a Facebook group called Ear for Each Other. Which are Cast Members who were laid off during covid and started side gigs You ask to join the group.

They offer a variety of things - one of which are stickers to give CMs that make things more magical. Your stickers could say something like we and auntie, or hubby/dad, etc thank you for helping us make special memories.

1 Like

I am so very sorry for the losses you have experienced this year. I think it is beautiful that you want to carry those loved ones in your heart while you visit one of your favorite places. I really love @mathhound’s idea about having small thank you cards ready to give to cast members. I think those can be very uplifting for you and the cast members you share them with. Also, I’m wondering if there is a special character that your father or aunt liked and you could perhaps buy a few pins of that character and hand them out to those who are pin trading. My son really got into pin trading on this last trip, and I know receiving something like that would have left a big impression on him.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry that 2022 has been so rough. I hope this visit brings the memories closer to your heart. If possible, find pictures of your dad, aunt and grandmother, and even the dog if it helps, and put them in a nice frame. Take these to Disney and take pictures with the frames in some of the best picture spots or a spot that may hold some significance.

2 Likes

We made some special shirts to honor a friend who was dying and then passed. We wore them as a group and made sure to get pictures with his favorite character. Maybe you could get matching shirts for the three of you to wear for each person you are memorializing and get some specials pictures in their honor.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry for your losses.

I think this is the trip report that @janamelia is referring to. They did a “bestowing” of wands while they were there. It was a great tribute.

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you for your memory!

This is such an awesome idea. :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sunglasses:

2 Likes