Hepatitis A at Morimoto Asia

Thanks to a poster over at Mouseowners, this is for anyone who ate at Morimoto Asia between Nov 6th and 16th.

Quote:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - A hepatitis A infection has been identified in a food service worker at the Morimoto Asia restaurant at Walt Disney World’s Disney Springs complex, the Florida Department of Health said Wednesday evening.

Officials said people who consumed food or beverages at the restaurant between Nov. 6 and Nov. 16 might have been exposed to the virus.

Hepatitis A vaccine or immune globulin (IG) may provide protection against the disease if given within two weeks after exposure," DOH spokesman Kent Donahue said. “Therefore, those who consumed food or beverage at the restaurant between Nov. 6, 2018, and Nov. 16, 2018, should promptly contact their health care provider to receive vaccination.”

For full details, read the linked article.

1 Like

The Hep A vaccine series isn’t a bad idea regardless.

1 Like

Just not usually on the radar for planning a WDW vacation though …

But it could happen anywhere. Very sad and worrying though.

I think this is the main takeaway. Certainly when you’ve been in a location where it has been identified it is only right that authorities should make it known and for you to take appropriate action to protect yourself. But this definitely isn’t limited to WDW by any stretch of the imagination.

2 Likes

My example of this situation was waking up one afternoon and reading in the local paper that a recent Hepatitis A outbreak was traced to a popular place for breakfast burritos. As it happened, at least 99% of people where I worked ate there at least once a week. When I got to work that evening we all had mandatory appointments to start the Hep A series. I was happy to get the shots. Those were some really good burritos.

2 Likes

I agree. Unfortunately, anyone who ate there in the first few days is already outside of their two week “grace period” for vaccination. I just hope it (ie: the story and outcome) doesn’t get any worse.

1 Like