Help! Worried about foot pain at the World!

When we were at WDW June 2013 I started to develop horrible foot pain. I later learned I have planar fasciitis and a heel spur. I have prescription inserts for my running shoes but I hate to wear those kind of shoes in a theme park and like flip flops/sandals. What do you all do? We are going the first week of December. Ideas? Thanks!

Ask your podiatrist what he recommends you do.

Flip flops - I’m not even going to go there. Nasssty, nasssty flip flopses…

Wear the sneakers and orthotics. You will likely be doing a lot more walking at Disney that you do in your regular every day. Flip flops in general just don’t have the support you need for that kind of activity. Pack a tennis ball if you can. That way you can roll your feet in the evenings. Once back in the room I like to lie down with my feet & legs elevated (against the wall, not just on a pillow). It feels good and helps keep the swelling down for me.

1 Like

Also, paging @pod4christ

Your pod (and our own @pod4christ might be able to also recommend some good sandals that you could switch to from time to time.) Note that really good shoes usually come with a bigger price tag, so choose carefully. Some brands that might be good are chaccos, Clark’s (esp the unstructured line) some keens. I have arthritis in my big toes, which orthotics help, but I can go some days without them if I pick other shoes carefully. Bring extra shoes, if you can, to allow your feet to trade off a bit.

I forgo fashion at WDW and go with comfort so I wear my running shoes with inserts about 90% of the time.

3 Likes

I had plantar fascitis and custom made orthotic inserts. I would agree that you need to wear a good pair of “walking” sneaks (not running) in Disney. Several good athletic shoe brands make sneakers to accommodate your inserts. I personally love the Skechers Go Walk Baby for a light weight walking shoe. I never tried with insert since I no longer need to wear them. Depending on the weather, you may have to wear a closed shoe in December anyway. I always wear sneakers at WDW because I need the support. Absolutely no flip flops!!! That said, I do know that they make something to hold your orthotic around your foot in a sandal.

I have gotten cortisone shots (ow) in both feet before going since I have pretty good arthritis and past history of a pressed nerve in my foot. Once in the World, I take anti-inflammatory twice a day and ice my feet.

I wouldn’t change what’s working for you. Not worth the risk of being in agony on vacation. Here’s some advice from my website. Also if you click on Patient a Info you’ll find some Plantar Fasciitis specific advice.

I am going to Indianapolis today. I expect much walking. I got new sneakers, I started wearing them at the gym, the previous pair is now my outdoor pair. I do about 18 miles a week on the treadmill. They are tried and true. I wear addias cilmatix socks that wick. Feet don’t get sweaty.

1 Like

In my book, WDW is not the time for fashion… I wear my running shoes at WDW. Sandals just dont cut it for me. Do I look dorky? Yup! But my feet aren’t screaming by 11am so its totally worth it!

3 Likes

The one and only time I wear flip flops is to got out to the mailbox or take out the garbage, ok two times. I would not even dream of wearing them onside the parks. shivering

Wear what is tried and true for your feet, maybe invest in some better socks that are moisture wicking, check outdoor stores. In the long run you will be happier to stick to what is best for your feet. If you really must when it rains put on the flip flops and then you can dry your feet and put your good shoes on again after.

1 Like

Wear your inserts its worth it being pain free.

1 Like

I can’t imagine wearing flip flops at the parks… not just for the pain reason… but think about all the nasty stuff your feet encounter, and the odds of a serious stroller run-over injury is SO much higher!

1 Like

I almost always wear flip flops to the parks, but live in FL and almost always have them on anyway. Never thought about “the nasty stuff” thanks for ruining it for me :smile:

LOL! Sorry! But have you looked at the color of your feet after a day in the parks? Ick…

hah, yes, feet do get disgusting in flip flops. For two trips, I lived in my Reef flip flops. They offer more support than a typical flip flop, but it’s just not the same as a sneaker with inserts. I wore sneakers with store bought inserts on last trip and my feet felt better than ever. On some days, I brought the flip flops with me. I often switched to them at the bus stop when I knew walking would be minimal just to give me feet some breathing room. Also, I brought them to wear to dinner ADRs.

1 Like

I’m going to jump on the bandwagon and say: Wear your orthotics!! I’ve been dealing with PF and heel spurs in both feet for 2 years. The right foot has resolved itself, but the left one is still very painful. I wear my custom inserts, but I’ve still had issues with finding the right shoe to put them in. I’ve tried everything I can to get the pain to stop, but I still have bad days. I would not chance not being able to walk, especially at Disney, for the sake of cute shoes.

1 Like

my sister and I have a saying “don’t get the shoes” – when we take pictures, we are not allowed to get from the ankles down. Rest of me looks cute – feet look comfy.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes