Help with ideas to honor a lost loved one at Disney?

Not something I thought I’d be posting about anytime soon, but we unfortunately lost my dad in a sudden, tragic accident two weeks ago today. I have peace in knowing he passed away doing something he loved, but he is dearly missed.
Although he never went with us on our Disney trips, he was very familiar with our love of Disney, and always talked to us and our kids (his only grandchildren) about the trips, how exciting they were, and actually worked at our airport, so we’d frequently see him there when getting ready to depart to Orlando. He even offered and picked us up when we arrived back home from our most recent trip in December and we had a great time visiting with him afterwards back at our house, showing him our Haunted Mansion spirit portraits and the kids souvenirs. He was a selfless family man.
On that note, I’ve read/heard about people doing small meaningful type things during their Disney trips to honor a love one who has recently passed. I don’t know what exactly, but my husband, and I both have said we’d love to do something special in honor of my dad. I know it may seem odd to some but Disney is our happiest of happy places and a tradition for my family since 2011. We’d love to do something to pay a special little tribute to my dad while we’re there.
I just came across a good article here from TP, and unfortunately the bricks and engraved markers seem to have been discontinued at the time that post was written in 2014.

Does anybody know of anything else similar, or have any original ideas of your own? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. We have time our trip is in November. Thanks so much everyone!

Here is the blog post I mentioned - http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/06/10/honoring-loved-one-disney-world/

Sorry for your loss - that is sad. Although not permanent - I may suggest a very nice meal or something that he would have loved to have done. I think it is great that you are marrying your love of Disney and the love of your dad. Baring the fact that there aren’t any “legacy” items. I may take the opportunity to enjoy something that he may have enjoyed. A fine meal, a special fireworks celebration, a private tour etc - do something that he would have enjoyed. And remember him during that experience.

2 Likes

That seems like a nice idea. I loved the idea of the brick or something permanent but both my husband and I thought a special dinner or toast or something would be nice too.

Geeze, I’m so sorry for your loss. :cry:

I think @Tigger613 has the right idea: do something he would have loved to do.

1 Like

I don’t have any ideas for you, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about the loss of your dad.

1 Like

I am really sorry about the loss of your dad. You might consider a donation to Make a Wish Foundation in his name since Disney World is a wish for a lot of children.

6 Likes

I like @pmoriart idea. Friends of ours were the recipient of a WONDERFUL vacation at http://www.gktw.org/ which is similar to Make a Wish.

Take this opportunity to make something wonderful out of a not so wonderful event.

2 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mother last May very unexpectedly at the age of 59. I know how hard it can be to work through the grief. I am still dealing with it almost a year later. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

My mother had a huge heart and loved doing things for children. I am going to buy Disney Balloons at the park. My family and I are going to pass them out to children at the park. Hopefully we can give out some Disney magic in her memory. I have been saving since we planned our trip so I can buy the balloons to honor her.

6 Likes

I am sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine your sorrow but do send a hug to you and your family.

There is nothing permanent to be done at Disney at this time. Years ago this was a tooic in chat. A couple if things that was mentioned was:

With the permission of parents you could buy a balloon or a light up toy for a child in memory of your father. Just remember do not intentionally release the balloon as it is not safe for animals.

Write a letter and burn it at one of the campfires that disney has.

My thought:
If you bring a picture or two go see a characture artist and have a special picture made of you dad and something disneyish.

As suggested a soecial meal is good too.

2 Likes

I am sorry for your loss.

1 Like

I’m sorry about the loss of your Dad. Sending hugs to you and your family.
There are some really good ideas here, I particularly like @Jedilogray’s portrait idea. Whatever you choose, I hope it brings you some comfort.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss.
That is really a great idea as Make A Wish takes a ton of kids to Disney each year. I wonder if you could donate specifically to a child with a Disney wish?

3 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss. My mother passed away a few years ago and It’s a Small World was always her favorite ride at WDW. Now when we ride it I remind my sons that it was Grandma’s favorite and we think of her.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone for all of the great ideas and heartfelt condolences. Very appreciated during this time! Lots of good ideas for me to work with. We don’t go until November but I will be sure and update here with what we do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really love this idea, thank you…I hadn’t thought of it! We had a caricature artist do a portrait of our dog in Mickey ears last year based on a photo on my phone. I’d love to have them do one of my dad with my kids or something…That’d be super cute and something we could keep. Leaning towards doing a special meal in his memory as well. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts.

1 Like

Thank you so much. Coincidentally my dad was just 59 as well, so it was a huge shock. There was a tragic accident while he was working on a classic car. The grief is so weird, it comes in waves. It’s only been 2 weeks, and after all of the funeral arrangements were made and concluded, I did feel a huge sense of relief and weight off my shoulders and it’s given me time to actually grieve, cry etc…

2 Likes

That brings tears to my eyes! Wonderful idea. So sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself. :heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

You are welcome. I hope you find peace and happiness. Hugs and pixie dust.

1 Like