Help me please. Travel Insurance

Not Disney Related.

I have not purchased any travel insurance. My parents will be traveling to Long Island for a wedding this summer. They are getting old and have health issues. I am hoping to get them travel insurance to cover the flight tickets if they need to cancel for any reason.

Can you please help me with any recommendations. Thank you.

look at insuremytrip.com - many different companies and you can compare coverage/exclusions and rates side by side. Sounds like you need coverage for “pre-exising conditions” which may increase the price. Go read up on it.

1 Like

I learned about this company on a cruise forum https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/

1 Like

We’ve had good luck with www.squaremouth.com

1 Like

Thanks all. This is not worth it. I had hoped to pick something up cheap but some of these are as expensive as the flight. Which is all i wanted covered.

I just put my trip in and my quote is $57. Is your different?

1 Like

Usually when you buy an airline ticket they offer insurance on it at the end, right? I think I might just do that…it’s usually not more than $25-30 or so, I think. After a major scare a couple years ago with expensive flights from Istanbul to the States DH and I decided to ALWAYS buy the insurance on flights. It was just so stressful.

1 Like

Not with Southwest. At least not that I have known.

Ok I just did it and got $80 for one trip cancellation plus. Now I need to see the reasons for cancellation. Thanks.

Which I just found. Their age does not help the price.

1 Like

Oh, I’ve never flown Southwest. Sorry. :slightly_smiling_face:

No worries. For me it is best.

You can cancel southwest up to right before. You don’t get it back immediately, you do with points, but cast you can rebook and fly within a year of when your originally booked. It is one of the best airlines for cancellations.

2 Likes

Yes - SW you honestly don’t need trip insurance as you can get a full credit. So the trip insurance only pays off if you wouldn’t fly SW within the next year. Most of the majors gouge you with change fees that add up very quickly where the insurance would be useful…

2 Likes

That is my issue. This will be the last trip my parents would be making. They are 87 & 84 and are only coming because it is a wedding of grandchild. Travel is not easy for them. So I do not think Southwest usual policies will help, but we are not doing the travel insurance after all. I am glad I looked into it, but it is not what they want.

Thank you all.

1 Like

I think the only real insurance that would have worked in that case would have been if someone had points (they could have booked their flights for them) and then your parents could have purchased someone else’s flights for cash.

1 Like