Help me plan my trip!

While there is some argument, it seems the consensus is that DL’s version is better…so if you don’t like it, you probably shouldn’t bother at MK.

Personally, we do it every time we go. Not because I want to. Because I have to. My wife insists upon it, no matter how hard I try to sneak past it without her noticing! :wink:

ETA: I’ll add, however, that it does offer a nice respite from the heat of Florida. It is long and relaxing. Good for a break.

1 Like

I may have exaggerated a bit on the “dying” part. I just found it funny that we came from 108-110 degree heat and I was sweating more in 87 degrees than at home! I am hoping to schedule my trip when my DH is on vacation. His shifts are 48 hours, so it would be easier than him having to use his unscheduled holidays.

1 Like

Duly noted. If desperate, go on it :joy:

we always go on it once per trip, and did so in Florida as well. I can take it or leave it, it’s fun for nostalgia, and at DL a little more history. but it’s important to my wife, so we go.

1 Like

omg I am so excited for you!! We do DL quite often as well and we just did our first WDW trip in april. It is amazing. You will love it. Stay onsite and get all the extra perks. We never took a bus the whole time we were there, driving was so easy. but now they charge for parking so I could easily scrap the rental car next time.

1 Like

We stayed at Pop, it was perfect for us.

1 Like

I have tentatively booked Pop in May. Still need to see when DH’s vacation will be. I told him my plan and he is onboard. He said when it is his pick for vacation, we will sit down together. So this could really happen!

1 Like

make sure you book a desert party for the fireworks in magic kingdom. so so worth it. It was the best firework show I have ever seen!!

1 Like

That is on the top of my “must do” list!

So now I am trying to put together a list of “must do” items. The dessert party to watch the fireworks is at the top. As I have indicated before, I love my family dearly, but they are a bunch of party poopers! I rarely get to see the fireworks at DLR because someone aways wants to go back to the hotel! There is also the fact that DLR fireworks can and often do get cancelled due to high winds.

I am not a huge show/parade person, but I LOVE Paint the night Parade and the halloween Parade at the party. So, unless they have any nighttime parades at that time, I will abstain from parades. All the major rides except Soarin are on the must do list. I am open to scheduling a couple of shows, but not really worried about them too much.

I would like to have some nice meals, but I am not planning on centering my trip around food. What is mind blowing that needs to be on my list?

1 Like

So excited for you! We’re from the Sacramento area (and love DL) and went to WDW for the first time last year. I second the “have fun comparing” suggestion because it will hit you constantly - actually having to get a FP for Pirates, for goodness sake!!! But since I am a total science nerd, I instantly fell in love with Pandora and rope-dropped FoP two days in a row. And, speaking of FoP, the need for FP’s will be readily apparent everywhere - much more so than needing to get the MaxPass at DL (although the Incredicoaster in California Adventure made that thing worth every penny!).

Hope you have as much fun as we did in the planning - half the fun, right? Try to pick some of the shows that aren’t at DL, for sure (Fireworks dessert party was a favorite with us, so I’m glad you’ll be doing it). Even though you aren’t big on shows, you should really try to see Lion King and Rivers of Light, and try to spend some monorail/bus time to visit the amazing resorts. Jiko is worth the trip out to Animal Kingdom Lodge, for sure. And Sanaa, as well, for lunch (window seating is fabulous!).

Epcot was one of our favorites, though, since there’s nothing to compare to at DL. Just slowly wandering through all of the countries, enjoying the sights, popping into a bakery or historical display was all so much fun! Try not to rush past too much - there’s so much to see.

Now you’re making me want to plan another trip out to Florida, darn it. :grin:

2 Likes

To hop or not to hop??? At DLR it is a no brainer for me, but I can hop from one to the other in 5 minutes, so of course I hop maybe 4 to 5 times a day, but at WDW it seems like such a time drain to hop. On the other hand, I like the idea of having that option.

I was told by so many people that I probably wouldn’t need a hopper. But being a DL girl I felt I had to have it. And we totally used it, at least twice we started in one park and ended in another, even if it was just to watch the fireworks. We also rented a car despite the advice not too and loved the flexibility. We were in the parks and parked in about 15 minutes each morning, with the exception of MK.

I tentatively have 6 day hoppers. As I plan this out, that may change. It seems like it would be most useful at MK, HS and Epcot. No rental car for me, I will use lyft while I am there for flexibility.

The other day I saw a picture of WDW IASW’s loading area and I think I may have to do it once after all! It seemed bizarre to me to see it indoors. I am starting to think I will need to utilize some of the Parkolegy strategies to get through everything!

I’m so excited you’re doing this (and definitely jealous)!!

We haven’t been since before Frozen Ever After opened & Rivers of Light/ AK being open at night & which means we also haven’t seen Toy Story Land or Pandora. But we still loved so much (especially at Epcot & Animal Kingdom that are nothing like anything we have in DLR).

In list form, here is what we (mostly me) loved (and are SO excited to get back to see one day):

1. Peoplemover (MK), especially at night
  2. Expedition Everest (AK)
  3. Tower of Terror (HS)
  4. World Showcase (EP) all of it was amazing and I could have had a whole other day of Epcot just to explore, you being on your own you’ll be able to wander at leisure through all the small shows & entertainment- we barely glazed the surface hitting each country just long enough to get a taste of it & stop at the Kidcot Stations (the CMs at each of these stations were so great too, some of my favorite CMs). I am itching to go back & just spend all my Epcot time at World Showcase because we missed seeing all the films & most of the shows & only got through 1.5 Agent P Showcase missions bc we just ran out of time in Epcot.
  5. Trails at AK, there was so much to see (beyond Tigers & Gorillas) & they were so serene & the CMs along the trails were just fantastic at talking about the animals & conservation efforts. You could tell they really care.
  6. Splash (MK), I loved the seating arrangements (side by side) & lap bar so much more than the single file logs at DLR. So much so that at WDW, Splash is one of my top favorite attractions- at DLR it doesn’t even make the short list (although we have the same great ride & I love the Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah song).
  7. Dinosaur (AK), I do prefer Indy but 90% of that perference is due to John Williams’ being the composer of the Indy music & I just can’t resist anything he composes, especially when it’s put with such an exciting adventure as Indy. But the theming for Dinosaur is great & the story is even more cohesive throughout than at Indy, so it’s definitely an awesome must-do.
  8. Finding Nemo The Musical (AK)- I was surprised that I liked this as much as I did. I had the Festival of the Lion King show as a must-do & Nemo as an “If there’s time”. On our 1st AK day we made sure to see Festival of the Lion King. I liked, thought it was great, but didn’t really get as riled up about it as I thought I would. Then on our 2nd AK day, the family that we were with mentioned how much they liked it & so we dashed across the park to make it to the last show of the day and I looooved it. The music was so catchy & we still sometimes sing it around our house even though it’s been 2.5 yrs since we went.
  9. Rock n’ Roller Coaster (HS)
  10. Spaceship Earth (EP)
  11. Kilimanjaro Safaris (AK)
  12. Mickey’s Philharmagic (MK), a cute 4D show that was super entertaining & ended up being one of our favorite MK things that we did (except for Peoplemover).
  13. Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom (MK), this is an interactive trading card game you can play in MK at different “portals” (screens) throughout the park. It was DS’s (then 4) absolute favorite thing at WDW & I definitely enjoyed it & still would have played it even solo. You start by picking up 5 trading cards at the firestation (can get 5 new cards everyday) and then progress to your first portal (I can’t remember if you can pick where you start or if you jsut start on Main St), but Merlin guides you on this adventure to fight villains taking over the kingdom & you use your cards (that include characters & items) to battle them. Super fun & we could’ve had another day or at least half day of just playing the game.
  14. Enchanted Tales with Belle (MK), Even though I am a huge Beauty & the Beast fan and we had Be Our Guest for dinner, this wasn’t a must-do (I think I just didn’t know much about what it was & was comparing it to Storytelling at the Royal Theater but didn’t think it would live up to the same level of showmanship), but I had it in my TP all the same bc it was different than what is at DLR. My TP listed it as recommended to get a FPP so I got FPPs for it on our 2nd MK day. I loved every second of it & the effects were fun & unexpected (no spoilers here) and then the show part with Belle was so cute & interactive.
  15. Living with the Land (EP), some people feel this is a bore, but we were fascinated by all the beautiful/innovative gardening that we saw & I thought it was so incredibly cool that the Epcot restaurants use resources from the attraction- to me, this is the kind of stuff that Walt Disney envisioned in the original concept of Epcot as a community. We’ve talked about doing the Behind the Seeds tour that allows you to walk into the greenhouse areas & get a closer look. But if you’re not all excited about plants or innovative ways of farming/feeding then it can be a bit of a bore, so it’s not for everyone.
  16. Seas with Nemo (EP), I LOVED that we sat in a clamshell instead of a cramped submarine like in DLR. It’s the exact same story, but I enjoyed it so much more in the WDW format.
  17. The Seas exhibits (EP), We didn’t spend as much time here (gee that seems to be a theme in Epcot) as I would’ve liked but the time we did have, I did enjoy looking at the tanks.
  18. Test Track (EP), if you compare it directly to RSR in DCA (same ride system) then it pales in terms of theming, but we loved the “design your own car” element of it and I loved how fast it got (60+mph!!) compared to RSR (which I believe only goes ~30-40mph).
  19. Country Bear Jamboree (MK) One of the memories I have from my first trip to DLR as a 6 yr old is seeing this show so I was excited to watch it in WDW. It was just as fun & even more nostalgic than I had though & the rest of the family didn’t revolt when we did it, so I’d plan for this again.

Moving on to a new list, here are things that weren’t unique to WDW when we went but now are (bc DLR changed or got rid of them) & I hope to get to do next time in WDW:

1. Frozen Sing a Long (HS), I think this had just ended in DLR when we did it at WDW and we had seen it probably 20 times at DLR, but my DD was too short for a lot of stuff at HS so on our 2nd HS day, I made sure to get a FPP for this so she wouldn’t feel completely excluded. It was the same great show & now that DLR hasn’t had it for awhile, I’m looking forward to hopefully making it back to HS while it’s still there.
  2. it’s tough to be a bug (AK), This is one of DD’s favorites again, but no one else in the family really likes it so at DLR the husband & I would take turns doing this with her. However, at WDW we all cowboy’d up to do it in WDW bc the show is done inside the Tree of Life & the queue to get into it is really awesome because you pass through a lot of the tree roots with fun animal carvings. The show is the exact same terrifying show though so if you didn’t love it at DCA, then you don’t have to do it here.
  3. Jedi Training Academy (HS), Ok, so this one isn’t’ extinct quite yet at DL but WDW is keeping theirs (for now) & I’m sad & bitter that they get to & DL doesn’t so if I were planning a trip soon, I’d make sure to see this one last time as I didn’t get that luxury with DLR’s JTA.

Then as for nighttime shows, we loved the Star Wars fireworks the most (I think they do a slightly different show now for it, but again, it’s music composed by John Williams so you can’t go wrong with a show that has that). We didn’t really love any other nighttime shows & saw pretty much all that were available (F!, Wishes FWs & Main St Electrical Parade at MK, IllumiNations at EP) but if I were planning a trip now, I would for sure try to see Rivers of Light & Happily Ever After FWs that are there now. Since IllumiNations is going away at the end of next summer, I would maybe see it again, but then again I might rather enjoy some corners of World Showcase during it instead.

As for food, you’re on your own there! JK! I couldn’t believe how many choices & how big a deal they were at WDW. In fact, we had planned to go originally in Jan 2016 but I didn’t start planning anything until Aug 2015 & when I found out that I was already behind on the reservations, we re-looked at our lives & decided to push back to April to properly plan for the 6 months ahead of time. With being solo, you probably don’t need to go to that length, but I would definitely plan some meals as the theming at WDW is fantastic. If you’re interested in sticking to the parks, there’s plenty of options in each park (and it saves a lot of time not having to get to the different resorts). But there’s also SO many choices at the resorts as well. We did equal amounts of reservations at resorts & parks & I found the logistics of transportation to be well worth the effort for what we experienced (Ohana at Polynesian, 1900 Park Faire at Grand Floridian, Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge, Chef Mickey’s at the Contemporary). In the parks we had Cinderella’s Royal Tables & Be Our Guest at MK (both in the same day & it was a lot of food!), Garden Grill at Epcot and Tusker House at Animal Kingdom. There were so many more that I wanted to do that we didn’t have time to fit. And of what we did most of it we loved so much that we want to do again our next trip, so I don’t know how I’m going to work in the food next time!

And then lastly, hoppers, we didn’t because I didn’t want to be navigating those hops with kids & busses & whatnot. But being solo, I would say go for it!!

Anyway, I hope you love all of it (including the planning) & hope you keep us updated of your plans & how they go!!!

5 Likes

So not only are you Yoda in DL, but WDW too??? My goodness woman! Thank you so much for your amazing (and never ending) wealth of knowledge. I am looking forward to your vlog/blog (whichever you end up doing) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

3 Likes

Oh I am most definitely more padowan than Yoda when it comes to WDW. Maybe I was getting close before our family trip in 2016, but I am definitely not current as I haven’t been able to figure out when we’ll ever get to go back!

I had a blog once upon a time, purely about me, but I was a very lazy (infrequent) blogger so I will stick to following along with the other bloggers and of course my favorite Disney internet pastime- Touring plans forums & chat! :blush:

2 Likes