Help me decide what are must-do items for a Disney skeptic

I am DYING over here

OK I haven’t really chimed in at all. But, you have alluded to the fact that you and he have become a great home-bartending team. You definitely need to take him to some of the better locations for cocktails. (Nomad, Geyser, that kind of thing)

I would be inclined to share the top classics with him, and the top newest. So I’m imagining a day with HM, COP, JC, POTC… while at the same time visiting MFSR, ROR, MMRR, FOP, Remy. Really sharing the broad experience and dichotomy of IP vs original imagineering.

6 Likes

Yes, but clearly not a very good one!!! :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

We’re staying at WL (the hotel side, not CC, mostly because Keith’s #1 priority is to see the TREE). So we’ll definitely either have lunch or dinner at Geyser. And we’ll conclude our time at AK in the Sacred Spaces™ for sure. I know he’ll like that. Heh maybe we’ll make his whole trip just one bar hop after another! (Guys I promise we’re not lushes. Or at least, not that much…)

Ooooh this is a good way to put it. I think he’ll be wowed by ROTR and FOP; and HM/POTC are classics, which like, how could you not like them?? Honestly if I have to throw a few dollars at not standing in line, I’m okay with that, so long as it works. (Now I need to go read up on all the threads with up-to-date LL/G+ info…) I’ve bragged a whole lot about how we are liners and liners don’t do long lines, but after the demise of FP, I want to make sure to live up to that promise…

My main thought is that we will take him on a gentle walk of fun-- not a death march of all the things, but not quite a leisurely stroll. Hit the big fun stuff, show him what we love about going… a boat ride or two. He’s a good sport, so I think he’ll be fine :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If you’re like me, you don’t drink a LOT (I generally have 1-2 drinks per week when not on vacation) but you prefer GOOD drinks, and vacation is a different animal. No judgment here at all!

:woman_shrugging: voice of reason and all that :wink:

Sounds perfect!

5 Likes

If you go to Abacadbar, stop in at the Wyland Gallery at Boardwalk – he’ll love it!

1 Like

My husband hates theme parks and beaches- my two favorite kinds of vacations. I honestly don’t know how I ended up with him!!
I bring this up because he ends up chilling out and having fun once we get to the destination. I just have to do my very best not to talk about planning/research/overhyping the trip or he gets frustrated and annoyed hearing about it.

Maybe faking that you’re low-key about what you guys are going do would be helpful? Hem, haw and plan on here (let all the crazy out amongst like minded folk!) but just be all casual with him “let’s check out what the deal is with these slushees in France. Oh! You can add an extra shot? Hey, TP says the line for frozen isn’t long. Let’s check it out!”

Meanwhile, you’re subtly optimizing your TP all day long and know exactly what your plan is from wake up till bed time🤫

I’m sure you guys will have the best time since you know what he will like best. He will have fun and be happy from seeing you so happy. Plus, your trips sound like a blast from your trip reports so he’s in good hands!

4 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

Also, does he prefer for you to do all the planning or would he like to give some degree of input?

DH says it’s fine for me to plan everything. But he really does still like to weigh in on things. But in very narrow ways.

“Hey, look at these 2 menus/restaurant descriptions. Which one sounds better to you?” when I’ve already vetted both of them and could make our plans work with either. Then when we get to it, I remind him it’s the one he picked and it definitely gets him more engaged. “Oh, I’ve been looking forward to this one!”

Or while in the parks “We could go to either of these shows…which would you prefer?” (Bonus if he has a hard time deciding because they both sound good to him…could make him want to come again!)

2 Likes

Definitely if your goal is to get him to the place he agrees to more Disney trips, it’s got to be from his point of view.

My cousin, an English professor, couldn’t ride anything resembling a coaster, or thrill ride. But she did recall watching Walt’s show Sunday evenings. So we did as quintessential Walt as I could identify in MK and AK mornings and eating at Epcot in the evenings. (Yes, no HS. With some other newbies we did HS but no AK).

One of the biggest selling points was Magical Express. She appreciated that the service actually worked.

DH is not a ride person tho he loved the original Soarin. He likes the entertainment bits. And the animals at AK. He and my cousins spent an hour in the aviary alone. (I found a bench to hold down while chatting with passersby.)

One thing we could all agree on were meals.

2 Likes