Help me be sure I am managing these points properly

I get all turned around sometimes with the banking/borrowing/using stuff. Please help me sort this out:

We got 150 new points last week for the 2020 December use year. Those have a banking deadline of 7/31. If I plan to use them for a trip in April 2022, I need to bank them forward, right?

And then on 12/1/21 I will get the 2021 allotment of 150, giving me a total of 300 points available for use, plus the remainder of my original contract’s 2021 points as well, correct? (We borrowed a few toward the Eff You Covid Tour).

Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

You got it!

ETA: New contract?

2 Likes

Yes :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Party Time! OKW or another?

Sorry if you noted in your TR. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet.

Are you an excel person at all? I did cobble together a spreadsheet to alert me of when I need to use points by since I bought a contract with banked points that I’m petrified of losing.

OKW. Matching contract to the first (except 2057 expiry vs 2042). We have two kids so this was always our hope from the start.

1 Like

Not really. I can make primitive use of it. I really want to take a class on it because it would be useful at times in my current job.

1 Like

Congrats on your new contract!

1 Like

Thanks!!

Question for the experts. (Sorry @OBNurseNH to hijack your thread!) If you borrow points from next year for a booking which you then cancel. Those borrowed points are now in the use year of the booking you cancelled. If you book something else, will those borrowed points be used first before the points for that use year? In other words will borrowed 2022 points be used first before 2021 points? And if the answer is yes, then can the leftover 2021 points be banked into 2022?

2 Likes

Congrats on the purchase!

1 Like

Yes, borrowed point will be used first (because expiring points are used first, but per contract, so if you have multiple contracts, watch that)

And then yes, any That Year Use Year points not used can be banked

Hope that answers you usefully!

2 Likes

I do have multiple contracts. BUT I started with 16 points left in 2021 in my resale contract and ended with 10. That should mean that the borrowed points from 2022 were used and the 10 left are eligible for banking. Right? I was wondering how to tell. I guess once August hits (August UY) I can see if they are available for banking?

Thank you!

1 Like

I think that is right, but in truth, I would call DVC to be absolutely sure – they have the ability to look at your points and their status in a way that is tough (I find) to do online.

And do it asap cause the whole site is going down in a week for several days!

1 Like

I think yes, to your questions. Bank by 7/31 and then you can use those 2020 points after December 2021. We have a December use year and I find it very confusing, but @Keith718 is good at explaining… help, Keithers?

2 Likes

ALSO I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! More points = more OBNurse at Disney!!! :partying_face::partying_face:

2 Likes

Yes, @OBNurseNH has it correct. Bank the points by 7/31/21 or they will be lost if not used by 11/30/21 - then when you book your April trip, those banked points will be used first. You’ll get your allotment of points for 12/1/21 - 11/30/22 on 12/1/21. And then you’ll have 300 points on that contract to use from 12/1/21 - 11/30/22 - using the banked points first.

Long story short - you’ve got it down.

2 Likes

@OBNurseNH- Yes to the banking.

Is the new contract at the same resort? If so, then you can use the points from your existing contract along with those from the BW contract all at the 11 month window. Otherwise you’ll need to wait until 7 months out fo be able to book with both sets of points.

You could also borrow points to make that reservation, currently 50% of each contract.

1 Like

On your dashboard there is an option to look at each use year and see how many points are in each. There’s also a points summary, and you can also look at all your transactions you’ve made.

1 Like

Yes a new contract, same resort. Will be flush with points for about 10 seconds LOL. First contract was in a borrow situation so this is good!

2 Likes