Height requirements question

DD is 39.5 inches without shoes, with shoes, just over 40 inches…we go in 2 months so i assume she’ll grow a bit… is it 40" with or without shoes??

has anyone experienced a child being allowed on a ride that has a 40 inch requirement, but then not on another because the height charts are off?? just wondering if we should expect that.

It is with shoes
When we went with my nephew - several years ago - he was let on EE once, but a different CM was there the second time and didn’t let him on.
I am pretty sure he was lifting himself up on his toes a bit the first time and the CM let it go, but the second one didn’t.
I am not completely sure about differences ride to ride. We didn’t run across that & I haven’t heard about it - but maybe someone else has more info on that specifically

Usually they will measure with shoes, but I think it is up to their discretion. It is for the safety of the guests to stick to the height requirements, and some parents are inclined to have their kids wear elevator shoes to skirt the system. That is a mistake. If your child is under 40" without shoes, it is probably best to just not ride it, even if shoes put you over.

When the kids were younger, I would pull up a master list of all the rides w/ height requirements and we would have them stand at the growth chart.

You have to be 40" to ride BTMRR… Where is 40" on the chart? Are you taller or shorter than the height requirement? Can you ride BTMRR?

We did this for each ride and it helped a TON in managing expectations in our kitchen at home instead of standing in front of the ride being disappointed. If they were close, we would talk about how they may or may not be able to ride…but we also talked about (and practiced) standing straight and tall with our heels on the the ground.

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone measured without whatever shoes they’re ordinarily wearing in the park that day for a ride.

Obviously, that means at TL and BB, measurements are barefoot.

It is also always possible that the measurement stick in use is off at any given ride on any given day. Please know that there is no wiggle room in this - if their stick is “tall” because of the floor angle or “short” because it’s been pounded on the floor too many times, the stick is still the stick. Don’t fight it.

When I was a CM at space and a child was close, I would try to wave my hand between the bar and the child’s head. If my hand could make it through then it was a no go. If my hand couldn’t fit then I waved them on. I never asked a child to take off their shoes with the exception of the time we saw a dad put ice cream bars in their son’s shoes to make him taller. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I once tried to convince a cast member that my daughter was too short because I did not want to ride Everest. The cast member was very adamant that she was tall enough to ride.

4 Likes

I have no words.

Bahaha!

OMG, that’s just ridiculous!!! lol

ummm - just wow :confounded:

Space Mountain caused me to lose all faith in humanity haha I have some ridiculous stories from my, thankfully, brief time there. I moved to PhotoPass and thankfully most of my faith was restored…mostly

2 Likes

i would not fight it - i know she’ll be on the cusp, so i imagine it will depend upon how good the “stick” is! lol

1 Like

Yes! 100% my niece was close for space mountain. Tried one day in the afternoon and she was a no go. The next day we RD’d and rode 4 times in a row. Then on our 5th they measured her at the loading area again and she was a no go. I was very careful to set expectations “ we don’t argue with the CM and any CM can say no to keep you safe.” I would tell her before hand loudly by the CM “you might not be tall enough for this one. If you are not remember to tell the CM thank you for keeping you safe”. She always wanted to be measured even for RnR and primewhirl which was not even close :rofl: :joy: She believed the CM more than me! She did great and the CMs were really good with her. One sweet young lady gave her tokens for the games in dinoland and the return card for when she grows more.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I was very careful to set expectations “ we don’t argue with the CM and any CM can say no to keep you safe.” I would tell her before hand loudly by the CM “you might not be tall enough for this one. If you are not remember to tell the CM thank you for keeping you safe”. She always wanted to be measured even for RnR and primewhirl which was not even close

God bless you. You have no idea how much CMs appreciate this. I can’t tell you how many arguments I got into parents about their own child’s safety! I always tried to reward families like this with free ice cream or another fastpass because it happened so infrequently

2 Likes

What??? First that’s crazy. Second who chooses ice cream bars?? Wouldn’t they just melt and make a mess!

2 Likes

I :heart: this idea!

Does anyone know why Primeval Whirl is a 48" height requirement? You are in a giant bucket. I don’t see how she’s tall enough for EE and SM, but not PW??? And PW is the only one she wants to ride :frowning:
She’s 47" in shoes, we are going to try anyway…

The restraint system on that ride won’t fit a smaller person properly. And, due to the spinning nature, it is extremely important that they are restrained well.