Has Disney Forgotten their Park Strategy?

I mean, they are coming. Even if it seems counterintuitive. Crowds have been increasing steadily the past few weeks and all signs seem to indicate it will continue.

Visitors may be unhappy once they get there, but they’re still coming. Whether it’s because they heard about lower crowds, don’t closely follow actual reports from the parks, need to use DVC points, or are just tired of the pandemic and want to travel…demand is up.

While generally Disney is willing to spend the cash to drive demand through new offerings (if you build it they will come), I think the length and depth of pandemic impact is going to reverse that for a while. They need to see the demand actually be there before they increase offerings (which in this case would be extending hours, opening more restaurants, etc). They have to be more conservative with cash flow.

3 Likes

So no one would literally work for DVC. To be an employer, you need to be a legal entity. Those whose primary function is to serve DVC probably just get labeled/titled that.

From a legal standpoint, they would either be employees of DVCMC or DVD, or employees of one of the other Disney entities that would then charge either DVCMC or DVD for their services.

Dues from DVC members go into the resort owners condominium associations. DVCMC then bills those associations for the services provided. The services DVCMC provides are outlined in this document.

How DVCMC resources providing those services (from in-house staff or subcontracting from DVD or other Disney entities) is probably not specified in the contract between the associations and DVCMC. So your dues don’t literally pay anyone. They pay for services proper for DVCMC to provide to the resort owners condominium associations so those associations can fulfill their role as described in that same document.

In order to preserve the independence of the resort owners condominium associations, the contract with DVCMC should be written at a going market rate of charges and agreed to by DVD acting as the representative of each association.

(Perhaps a simpler example. Our homeowners association has no employees. We hire an outside property management company to do all the admin work. They have 2 staff on-site dedicated to us. They “work” for us but are really employees of the property management company. Our contract describes the services to be provided at a rate we agreed to after shopping around.)

Since DVD is the one selling the contracts, that’s where all costs related to that function would be recorded. It could literally be people that work for DVD or people that work for another Disney entity that bills DVD. These people might also be labeled/titled as working “for” DVC because that’s their function, but DVC is not their literal employer.

I think you’re trying to equate the layoffs to cash-on-hand issues at either the associations or DVCMC or DVD, and I don’t think that’s how it works at all. Disney will make sure the associations get the services they’ve contracted with DVCMC for, one way or another. (If significant numbers of DVC members stop paying dues due to a recession and the associations get precarious, that’s a totally different discussion, and not a pretty one.)

If DVCMC or DVD were short on cash, Disney Parks could simply send them cash as a capital injection. (Cash to DVCMC would flow through DVD first.)

The layoffs are part of a bigger belt-tightening at Disney. I haven’t read any of the detail to see how much of their reasoning they’ve disclosed. It’s likely not based on short term cash flow at individual legal entities, but Disney-wide cash flow and how much headcount they feel they need to fulfill required functions. And they could be using seniority or other factors regardless of legal entity or project assignment and then they’ll consolidate functions and bill internally for those providing services to other entities.

So I think this isn’t really relevant to what you were trying to figure out with cash flow and layoffs but here’s the answer. For points owned by DVD, they would definitely record revenue from those points being used for cash reservations. That would give them a receivable due from whoever actually received the cash, I’m assuming WDPR.

There are numerous ways to settle that receivable. A literal cash payment would be one. But they could also be netting all transactions that occur between DVD and WDPR for the month (or quarter, or even year) and just settle up the total. Or they could just periodically record capital transactions with Disney Parks as their mutual parent to settle up in total. There are numerous other ways they could be doing it too, depending on what they are trying to accomplish at a legal entity level (tax consequences of differing methods can be a significant factor). They just need to record the transactions in a proper manner.

I think there would be a similar process for breakage income for cash reservations of unused DVC declared units, except that would also involve a payable to the associations for their share up to the 2.5% cap. I don’t know if the associations literally have their own bank accounts or if they just have an operating line of credit with Disney. I’ve only seen the budgets for the associations. It would seem there would be financials shared with members?

I’m not sure who at Disney records the revenue from breakage income over the 2.5% cap, likely either DVD or DVCMC.

2 Likes

Ah- so when DVC members are told that dues are rising due to an hourly wage increase, that is not exactly the full story.

1 Like

Exactly. That might be a variable provision of the contract terms between the associations and DVCMC though. You might be able to request a copy of the contract if you’re curious.

1 Like

I am going to stop detailing another thread and come back to this one and my original thought. Has Disney forgotten their park strategy?

I have been thinking a lot this week about the decision to eliminate 720 of the 780 performers at the same time as we have all heard the complaints of the long lines for attraction and the availability calendar shows us that for Theme Park ticket only and Resort Guests, availability for park reservations is closing for the next two months.

As an DVC holder will I want to pay $817 in tickets for my two short 2021 trips? Or will I decide to get that Universal Premier Pass that includes free parking, late-day express pass, early entry, and a free ticket to HHN? A pass that I can pay on an interest free monthly plan?

If I am going to a theme park just for attractions, what do I pick?

4 Likes

I think these are two different issues really. Disney could still be competitive with Universal if they would bring back some form of FP, EMH, upcharge events, and APs. The performers that were officially let go this week really have no impact on Disney’s ability to provide those perks I just mentioned. Actually, scratch that, letting go of those more skilled (read - higher paid) workers may free up the money necessary to pay the other CMs for longer hours to accommodate things like EMH and upcharge events.

I have no real insight into Disney’s decision making process, and they’ve certainly made decisions that I don’t like, but, I’m at a point now where I’m trying to reserve my judgement until we have more information. Not to say I’m not also thinking about cancelling my 2 week trip in April. I am. Except those pesky 200 points I banked from 2019. I don’t want to lose those. As it stands though, you’re right, Universal looks like the better spot if all you can do is ride rides. Unless all your kids are too short of course!

I am a group of adults and I can still stay at BWV and enjoy some time there (and not lose any points). Someone will get my money. I am questioning who will.

3 Likes

I think you have a valid question… "Where do I get the most for my money? " and if I compare I might suggest that a universal AP is a better deal, especially the upper level, like premier. There’s free valet parking too (once valet parking resumes) at Univ besides all the others that you listed. Universal is all rides and lots of them. Disney is rides, shows, shopping… I think I get more for my money w/ Universal AP than Disney’s AP.

2 Likes

For our October stay it was much easier to find a room on Disney property and to rent points on Disney property than it was at Universal who is still offering perks. I couldn’t get a deluxe for example for Universal for the first time ever as it was sold out. I don’t know the why though lots of people are projecting their opinions but I can tell you much easier to get a room at Disney or through DVC than Univeral for us. Even the Surfside ending up selling out and there were two room choices left at the Cabana Bay at the last minute when we added two days. Lots of choices available last minute at Disney.

2 Likes

If it is only rides, although I love many of Disney rides, with express pass, Hagrids, the Mummy… I think the equation might shift .

3 Likes

hmmmm, there are less shows at universal and it seems to me less shopping in the parks themselves too… .it’s all about the thrill ride.

Right but if Disney has no shows…

2 Likes

I get it… why go there and spend more money for less. I’ve been thinking about that a lot these past few months too

1 Like

Doesn’t Universal have more shows at the moment than Disney? We saw Bourne Spectacular in August. You have to ignore the actors face masks to enjoy the effects created by going back and forth between real person and screen. But it was still cool. That show on monster makeup is still going on as well as the HP performances.

And Universal isn’t all thrill rides, there is also the show-rides where your seat just jiggles you around some. .

3 Likes