Harmonious: Thoughts

In retrospect it may have been a mistake to have a livestream.

3 Likes

Yeah this

1 Like

Except I DIDN’T love it. I hate when this stuff relies sooooo heavily on projection. And it was a full 3 minutes before the first firework. A good reason is what happened tonight. I had some dad dealing with a toddler who could not be still. I couldn’t see half the show because his whole head kept moving into my view

The restaurant firework seatings just became a hotter ticket than ever before.

6 Likes

Moving my first reaction over also:
I watched the livestream also and I guess I was expecting more than another series of characters/movie songs. Felt like HEA again but without the castle to project upon. Don’t get me wrong, I love HEA and the end of Harmonious got me a little teary (AC says: testy - yes AC I was feeling that also). But it’s not the brand-new inspiring/unifying unique experience I felt it was hyped up for. In all fairness, though, I will have to see it in person for the full experience before final assessment.

3 Likes

I also am very much over pyro fountains rather than high-in-the-sky pyro. Those sparkly fire jets in the middle of the lagoon are not my thing and they were overused in this show.

1 Like

I hope it’s better in person. I don’t like the music. I can easily listen to HEA or Wishes and can get misty just from listening. Unless it grows on me, the music was odd. I think @OBNurseNH and @Jeff_AZ explain it well.

The near end was better. Love Someday. That was my favorite part.

The narrator sounded odd. I’m with @OBNurseNH on the ending.

The colors looked pretty but I wonder if it’ll be easy to see and how important positioning will be.

I hope I don’t have the same reaction to the new MK show.

3 Likes

4 Likes

The thing I didn’t like about Illuminations was that you couldn’t see what was on the Globe unless you had prime viewing, and even then it was like a nighttime spectacular for ants. The music and pyrotechnics were great, of course.

So a setup like Harmonious had/has the potential to take a show like Illuminations to the next level. I feel like they need to workshop this show to make it pop and have more emotional resonance.

9 Likes

again, absolutely. It felt like a random playlist of songs. And the effects were simply color changing.

3 Likes

In the photos above it looks like a bunch of chaos.

3 Likes

How do you mean? It didn’t strike me, but I was more perplexed on what exactly was the “end”

Apparently from the “on the ground” vantage point you heard music after.

In the live stream, we heard that creepy lady’s voice telling us the point of the thing and then, “Goodnight”.

And that was that.

I would say she sounded a bit like Constance Hatchaway but I don’t want to insult good ol’ Connie (and not just because she has a penchant for removing heads)

5 Likes

Ah I gotcha.

1 Like

I don’t think I have anything too unique to say, but here are my thoughts:

1. I appreciate why they did the songs in different languages, but it makes it hard to sing along and breaks some of the emotional connection
  2. I found the projections impressive. I am not a Disney veteran so I don’t have the same frame of reference as most of you. I don’t know that it makes it “worth it” for the barges, but I did like it
  3. That said it seems like there are going to be few spots to get a good view in person given the heavy reliance on the projections. It didn’t look like it rotated during the show, but it is hard to tell because they moved the camera so much
  4. Agree that Coco was where it picked up and found it’s stride
  5. Was surprised there didn’t seem like an overall story or theme or something like that, just music, screens, and some fireworks

Will definitely go see it in person on our trip, but not like super duper excited for it, maybe just regular excited

3 Likes

Interestingly, the hubby watched the live stream with me. His takeaway “yet another Disney show that can’t even hold a candle to that boat show we saw a few years ago.”

After SEVERAL clarifying questions, it was determined “that boat show” was Fantasmic in Disneyland 2017, lol.

7 Likes

Can you see what’s on the disc unless you’re standing square on with it? I’ve seen lots of footage tonight where you can’t see anything going on. Seems like it’s worse than the globe.

1 Like

Oh well he’s certainly right about that!!! :joy:

I’ll have to go back and watch, but I think the video was duplicated on the other barges. The image there seemed super crisp, like Jumbo-trons on steroids. I can’t speak to what it looks like in person though.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough. I had the thought “this would be better served in a fantasmic-style setting”

2 Likes

100% agreed. Because then the projection barges could travel around to the audience.

2 Likes

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It’s was frustratingly random.

2 Likes