Hagrid's wait times

We have an upcoming Universal trip, so I’m stalking ahem watching wait times. I’ve noticed that Hagrid’s isn’t on the virtual venues list, and yet the wait times are <40 minutes. Is that correct?

Someone posted on the lines app that last Wednesday they did Hagrid’s three times with a 15 minute wait time for all three rides. I think it slowed down?

2 Likes

The Virtual Queue is only opened up once the standby line reaches a certain point, possibly around a 1 hour wait? This week, the average wait for Hagrid’s was around 40 minutes. The VQ isn’t really necessary when the standby line is not overflowing very far. IOA was at a crowd level 2 all this week, which is good to know when comparing to your travel dates.

IOA was a CL 1 on this day

2 Likes

This is heartening. It seemed a little unbelievable. I’ve mildly watching Hagrid’s for the last 1.5 years. In fact those wait times being low was what inspired out Aug trip. Our late April trip is 4-5 crowd levels. So, even if they have virtual queues, it shouldn’t be too hard to get on several times.

2 Likes

IOA is showing a CL 3 on the days I’ll be there in early March. I’ll report back on how it operated.

2 Likes

IOA was indeed a CL 3 on Tuesday and Wednesday. No Virtual Line used. The actual waits varied and averaged 20-40 minutes. (Posted waits were higher)

On Wednesday around 10:30, Hagrids was a walk on for us. We rode 3 times this week.

5 Likes

This is heartening. I look forward to riding it several times. Maybe until I get sick of it. Nah, that won’t happen. Until my family gets sick of it and won’t ride with me anymore.

We are going with a family that has never been before but are Disney people. She was confused by this concept of riding a headliner multiple times.

2 Likes

Been at Uni since Thursday, waits been 45 to 60 mins. Today they’ve used VL and the time wait of us walking in to boarding was a little over 20 mins.

3 Likes

Ok, my brain is exploding trying to understand how to plan for this freaking ride. So, I may need the VQ but I may not? If they have VQ can I still get in line without one? When I put it into my TPs its giving me a 23 min wait in the afternoon without a VQ and a 7 min wait with VQ around 5 pm. But I seem to read alot of waits with a VQ in excess of 60 minutes and I’m like :unamused: … So confused. DS has been wanting to ride this thing since it opened and I have too. We have one day at Universal thanks to stupid early park closing times and I want to do everything in my power to ride it multiple times but all of these variables are making my head spin!

It’s the same queue. They cut off standby when they open up VL.

What really annoys me is TP is still not posting any actual historical wait time data for Hagrid’s. :unamused:

4 Likes

If you will have EA, I would try to be there super early so you can be front of the line for stand-by when it opens. Otherwise, get a VLP when you can and be prepared for an hour long wait. If you can get a VLP for the end of the night, that would be ideal because you can get in line 30 minutes or so before park close and not waste the time that could be spent doing other things. However, I don’t know with one day if I would count on getting one for that late. It’s worth the wait - at least once.

3 Likes

Definitely a hard ride to plan for. Multiple rides in one day might be difficult unless you’re being pretty selective about what else you’re doing in the parks that day. As @Julianne_fki said, best way to ride is early park admission if it’s available on the IoA side and you have access. Arriving 45-60 early should allow you to get it done quickly, and even get back in line for a repeat ride. Assuming it moves to VQ in connection with park opening, we had most success grabbing VQ times 15 minutes before regular park opening, then there are official drop times at 11, 2, and 4. Don’t believe those TP waits. Before spring break crowds, return time waits seemed to be around 45 minutes. During spring break, seen several saying 1.5 hours. There were a few times in late Jan/Feb when waits times dropped (and sometimes they didn’t even go to VQ), but that’s probably not too likely, at least until we see what happens with the velocicoaster.

6 Likes

Over the past few days (including the weekend) Universal has not been using the VQ for Hagrid’s, even when posted wait times were over two hours (highest I saw was 150 minutes). They did have some operational issues with delayed openings, so that could’ve affected their decision, but it may be that they’re moving away from the VQ for Hagrid’s in advance of the scheduled opening of the Velocicoaster.

5 Likes

So maybe just maybe (wishful thinking) they might add EP at some point soon-ish. It was VQ when we were there last week but we rode during early park admission.

3 Likes