Had to cancel trip

I am so sorry to read this. I know how it feels to cancel a Disney trip at just about the last minute (last summer) and that is so depressing. To add to it and feel as if you’ve made mistakes, it can just feel so overwhelming. But I agree with previous posters, you are being responsible and not adding onto those mistakes by taking a trip when you don’t feel it’s the best choice.

My kids and I talked for months about that summer trip. We were ready to go and have fun. And then other friends had planned for the same time period, and they still went, and it was all really frustrating at the time. Now that we are planning another trip, though, that sadness has faded. I wish you all the patience in the world with yourself, and a wonderful experience when it’s the right time for everyone to make the trip. :heart:

3 Likes

So sorry to hear that, it is nice to have a community here that can sympathize in ways that others might not. Hope everything works out at home and work.

Hang in there

3 Likes

Aww I’m so sorry

1 Like

Real life is messy, isn’t it? Sending good healing vibes and prayers your way! Shit happens. Sometimes it’s your fault, sometimes it’s someone else’s, sometime, more often then we realize, it’s a cluster fuck mixture.
Take care of you and your fam! Again, sending prayers for understanding and love to your whole family toward one another. I’m so sorry for what y’all are going through. Hopefully the turmoil is short lived. :pray:

8 Likes

As sad as this is, isn’t it amazing how much love and support one can get from this community? :arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up:

We all are invested in your happiness and I hope good things come your way soon!

:heart:

20 Likes

Oh no, this is so sad. I’m sorry to hear about the cancelled trip, but more so the hints at everything else going on in your life.

And hey, it’s not over dramatic. At all. We’re always here with some support through a needed rant.

7 Likes

Always sad to cancel a trip. Sorry @Tall_Paul1

4 Likes

Thank you to everyone. I knew people care here, but I’m blown away by how much love and support I’ve been shown. It means a lot and I won’t forget it. :heart:

Losing a trip is not the end of the world, but it’s the fact that it was partly due to my mismanagement of some competing priorities and expenses that had to be in order first, and how my family expected and entrusted me to have everything under control, and I let them down.

There are few things more important to me than what my family thinks of me and when that becomes frayed, it’s extremely damaging to me and I get very negative with myself.

I’ve left a scar now, and the next time I have any thought of vacation, it will be harder for DW to trust me or be on board at all after being burned. I have a lot of work ahead of me to fix some really bad flaws of recklessness, negligence, and procrastination and prove I’m really capable of adulting. I hope I can do it, because I will need this discipline to be more successful overall and reach a point where I can take more trips that are planned and budgeted properly and not be consumed by my own anxiety and chaos all the time.

Again, thanks for all the kind words and virtual hugs. You are not just forum or liner friends, but friends, period. I’m usually a quiet and stoic person who can get quite emotional on the inside at times, but I’ve learned to not be afraid among friends to just be my total authentic self and let it fly, warts and all. Thank you for lending ears and giving me an outlet for dealing with a disappointing and embarassing moment, which is miniscule compared to other things going on in the world. Your encouragement is more valuable than you can know. Much love. :people_hugging:

42 Likes

I’d say that the fact that you were able to assess that this trip was not prudent and had the wherewithal to cancel it proves that you are capable of adulting. A less mature person would go anyway, consequences be damned.

22 Likes

This, exactly.

11 Likes

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You have recognised a problem and made a change, as others have said that shows you are adulting. As I tell my son everyday, if you don’t make mistakes you aren’t learning. Dealing with letting loved ones down is incredibly difficult. You will get to the other side - it’s just hard to see through the fog at the moment. :hugs:

9 Likes

I was thinking of you and your family today re the canceled trip and hoping that things are looking up. I’m not sure why, but i think because I’m currently making a lot of plans but having to buy the insurance for a lot of them because things are so iffy (pandemic and family) that I’m definitely expecting some of these plans to require cancelation later. I can emphasize with the disappointment of a canceled trip and hope that you will be able to plan something else fun soon.

7 Likes

Wow - I was thinking about Paul and his family a few hours ago, as well.

Hope you are well, friend!

9 Likes

Oh Paul! I just got to thinking right now about you and your upcoming trip and I just found this thread.

I’m sorry to hear this happened, but we all screw up. And not all men can admit that, it proves you’re real. It’s just a little bump in the road in the grand scheme of things. I have no doubt that your family doesn’t love you any less. Will pray for you and your situation friend. :heart:

9 Likes

Had to go through a process of beating myself up for awhile, trying to make it up to my wife somehow (ongoing), and then starting to analyze what went wrong until I got to some root causes. Have some things to work on and work toward before I allow myself to entertain the thought of the next trip. No more band-aiding underlying problems.

I’ve purposesly ranted here about this instead of being my more private self to put some accountability out there so I act. To be able to sustainably take the trips I want and reach some other general goals, my status quo is not going to cut it. Change is hard for me, and I tend to stick to what I know, but this mishap might be the push I need to get on a better track.

Trip or no trip, this is a great place to be, and even without caring much about WDW or UOR at the moment after falling flat on my face, I care about you all. Groups like these, full of high quality people that genuinely look out for each other, are increasingly rare, and something I feel honored to be a small part of. Better days ahead. :yellow_heart:

35 Likes

Sending {{{hugs}}} to you as you work things out.

5 Likes

Not everyone takes responsibility when they screw up. Some deflect, distract, blame, do whatever it takes not to have a moment of reflection or accountability.

I commend you for NOT being that person. Everyone screws up. Not everyone owns it and tries to do better. That, not lack of mistakes, is what i think makes a Good Person.

Yall gon be alright. Keep pushing thru and we will be here to listen.

9 Likes