Grrr - Southwest (and other General Aviation Rants)

I wonder what would happen if airlines were forces to issue partial refunds for delaying flights. I’m currently sitting in an airport with a 3 hour 3 minute delay. I don’t really have the option to not take the flight when the plane finally gets here, but this will completely mess me up for tomorrow, when I was planning to go to work.

6 Likes

There needs to be more accountability from them for sure- especially considering they take our tax money to be bailed out.

5 Likes

Preach

3 Likes

For the WA scene- Alaska Airlines is a major carrier out on the west coast, and they have totally hosed Alaska, Hawaii, and Seattle. Totally. They canceled a whole bunch of routes through November, and it’s screwed up almost 100% of my family’s itineraries. We were rebooked on one flight that added a fun overnight in Portland. No thanks. Anyway, for folks thinking Aulani, the ticket prices are easily 200$ more each direction after Alaska cut their flights. And it’s not all fuel, there. It’s because they don’t want to pay their pilots, and they’re prepping for some type of a strike it looks like…

If DC offers some type of protection that makes air carriers refund money, whatever. That’s totally not the problem though. A ticket I booked for $300 which is now about $600- the airlines would gladly refund me that amount. I’m still the big loser.

2 Likes

If the bail out of Wall Street is any indication then you will most likely never see any improvements.

Southwest just a gave me a 100$ LUV voucher to make up for the 3 hour delay on my flight last week.
Where will I go now?

6 Likes

Ok this may sound crazy, but hear me out ok… There’s this place and I kid you not it shares a name with you! It’s called Orlando… OrrrLANNNNNNNdooooooooooooo… OrrrLAAAAAANNNNNdooooo… OrlaaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAndooooooooooooooo.

9 Likes

Ya but $100 bucks won’t even get her in the door

1 Like

I thought SW had magically low fares and free bags and all that jazz.

2 Likes

I do have tickets to Orlando for early September, booked on points. After two years, seven months and five canceled trips, maybe i’ll finally make it back to Universal.

5 Likes

I don’t know, a lot of ppl have been complaining about high air fares

3 Likes

Those fares haven’t been when we’ve looked for some time now. :frowning:

3 Likes

Thank you to whoever suggested buying a second set of refundable tickets for my travel day. Although my original flight had no issues, it gave me piece of mind and I was able to easily cancel the flight about an hour before departure, when I knew my flight was going to have no issues.

9 Likes

My round trip for the meet in July ended up being $361 on American out of Philadelphia. That is a direct flight (2.5 hrs) each way.

Southwest is showing only connecting flights (5hr-8hrs travel time) starting at $584 EACH WAY!

Those $60 PHL-MCO flights are apparently long gone. :cry:

But ai have friends in CA that are excited about their $250 round trip flights to Hawaii on Southwest. How wrong is it that they BOTH can travel back and forth to Hawaii for less than one way between Philly and Orlando??

2 Likes

That’s ridiculous.

1 Like

Sorry, I was wrong …there was one at $269.

Returns are around $275 or so, so that puts a round trip pushing $900.

Some of those are 5.5 hours but most are in the 6.5 to 7.5 hour range w/ one over 8 hours!! The direct flight is only 2.5hrs…and it is 18 hrs to drive!!

I am trying to figure out who would be purchasing these tickets?

4 Likes

Good question–who is buying tickets at these prices?!?

Business travelers, I would imagine. Companies who are sending people to conferences or whatever normally don’t really care as much about the cheapest flight

When my company was sending people all around for whatever reason, we weren’t restricted in what type of airfare we got or the cost, we just selected something and passed it through for approval and (as far as I know) it was always approved.

It was, however, frowned upon to go for 1st Class hehe

4 Likes

Didja all see that Southwest made the “very exciting” announcement yesterday that they are adding charging ports to their cabins at all seats, improving wifi, and increasing overhead bin space?

I replied honestly: those things are awfully nice, but you know what’s nicer? Buying a fare with ANY degree of confidence it will be the schedule I fly on when travel day arrives. Because right now? I buy the lowest possible fare I can tolerate since it’s unlikely to be the schedule when I fly and at least if my day traveling with (southwest) is going to be a borked up day I didn’t pay a premium for it.

I also advised them that my last six flights have been on competitors

Eff that noise. They have their priorities so far up their bungholes they’ll never get them back out. Does Chapek run them too by chance??

8 Likes

Sadly I think it’s going to fall on deaf ears. The latest customer satisfaction polls came in a few days ago across all airlines and Southwest was still #1 :frowning:

They’re rolling with the Disney Philosophy: We’re not losing money NOW, so let’s keep pushing…

1 Like