Grrr - Southwest (and other General Aviation Rants)

Honestly DW keeps track of all that. I do know we have 2 AA cards. One we have just for family access into the Admirals club and one Aviator card that we use for most purchases. The rewards seem straight forward and with the Aviator card they often have specials. Spend $X by X month and gain X points

1 Like

This is a 2021 mood:

Might as well make this the dedicated thread for all SW customer complaints.

9 Likes

Americans milage program is changing in 2022 and right now I’m not totally sure how it’s going to work.
Miles still exist, but now there’s going to be a pathway to elite status via loyalty points. Whatever those are.

AA card holders also get 1 free checked bag, in case anyone is thinking about it. The higher card tiers come with other benefits like free Prechek.

To further complicate it, the benefits vary by whether your card is issued by Citi or Barclays. I think the Aviator card is Barclays and it is the superior one.

2 Likes

Its funny, I’ve always been a die hard jet blue flyer out of BOS. Now I’m finding Delta is having better deals now. More fare options (basic, main, comfort, comfort plus).
Had a mostly pleasant experience with them last summer ( a slight delay at logan due to security being slow, but still arrived on time).
I love jet blue and I’m a cardholder, but there flights are getting super pricy now, so I tend to book and cancel if I find something better.

1 Like

How about that some of those Delta flights? Are operated by Jet Blue…

It’s true! I found a bunch today.

Interesting, I thought american was operated by jet blue as well… hmm I smell something funny.

Jet blue cancelled my flight home from MCO (the 8 pm flight which has always been since I’ve been flying from MCO to BOS), then rebooked me on a 5 pm flight. I said hell no and cancelled it and rebooked on an 8 pm Delta flight home. Now I’m curious… :thinking:

1 Like

I get the sense that many of them are all in bed together

Should I change it from Southwest to Airlines?

1 Like

I am curious about your specific grievances with BWI, as this is the main airport near me, but I haven’t flown in the last few years.

I used to love Southwest but keep hearing bad things about them since the pandemic began. It often was the only direct flight we could get, and / or the best price. But now I’m pretty worried about them. I also did not like the open seating. We used to be able to get on early b/c of DD age but no more.

I never had an issue getting a seat w/ the open seating and even when my family of four traveled together we always ended up with two pairs of seats in consecutive rows, even when we forgot to check in exactly at 24hours and ended up in Group C.

The major issues now are the complete lack of direct flights (at least from Philadelphia for me) and the significantly increased pricing.

It’s always just a cluster every time I pass through there. But the pinnacle was this summer when they had muuuuuuultiple gates all empty right next to a gate that was backed up four planes deep such that none of them had a chance of getting out on time. Eleventy people all jammed up in that little space, utter chaos and lack of clarity over exactly which flight was boarding, and gates wide open the whole time.

Plus it always just feels dingy and gross

1 Like

This

Ugh. That’s so stupid.

I have been in that airport more than any other in recent years (I don’t fly much) but I like their concourse and signage a lot. And some of their gates have such great windows and seating.

But who cares if they can’t organize it properly?!

1 Like

Really for me it’s just pricing that I am taking issue with but when I priced it out, they still come in as the cheapest option since checked bags are essential for my family of 5.

As far as flight experiences go, I am still very happy with SW.

Yeah I am not sure either, hoping DW can figure it out. Its like trying to figure out Genie+.

1 Like

Yes I don’t actually think this has changed (yet). I think it’s pricing and schedule that have turned me off from them right now.

1 Like

I haven’t found much difference in the pricing w/ SW out of Long Island, but the schedule is making me lose my mind. No I don’t want to layover anywhere for 2 hours, when a direct flight is 2hr 34min. Doubling my travel time is dumb. And no, I don’t want to drive a minimum of 1.5 hours (2+hours w/ traffic) across the whole length of LI to get into JFK or LGA to save myself from a 2 hour layover.
I am interested to see what SW is going to announce with their new “class” between wanna get away and business. DH thinks it’s going to be guaranteed direct flights.

1 Like

I’m pricing out a PHL-BOS trip for April for me and middle kiddo who wants to go to Salem for their Senior Trip. (They bailed on the schools trip to WDW bc it was crazy $$ and wouldn’t be as good as the trips we take.)
SW wants $450 per person to send me from PHL to MDW and then to BOS, turning a 90 minute flight into a 7 HOUR nightmare.

How about no? :rofl:

1 Like

That’s insanity!

1 Like