Grandma has some mobility issues - suggestions please?

Hi all!
The kids & I loved USF so much in July, we are going back for spring break. We are taking my 75 year old mom during spring break (3/26-31). ETA: staying at RP.

She used an ECV at WDW 6 years ago (she was not a skilled or considerate driver), but has since gotten in better shape by walking with her dog this year. She has some back issues and neuropathy in her feet.

I suggested that we plan on walking & if she decides it’s too much, we can rent a wheelchair and I will push her. I’ve even considered renting a walker for her that has a seat for waiting in lines, as standing still seems to bother her more than walking.

Has anyone used a walker with a seat in queues? What do you do with it during the ride?

There are a lot of dynamics here, I’m not just an absolute jerk of a daughter. I work with people with severe disabilities, this is not even remotely that situation. She likely shouldn’t be riding some of this stuff, but she is selfish and thinks the rules are for everyone else. I have to set boundaries/expectations ahead of time, as this could be our last big trip together and I want fond memories of it.

4 Likes

As someone who uses a “ rollator for anything over 250 feet…Please please pleaseconsult an occupational therapist first…

In order to avoid injury they need to be properly fitted.

Once you get one fitted - work with her outdoors…

Universal has a ton of trip hazards if your unfamiliar with how to maneuver curbs ( you’d be surprised at how small an incline can make them tip) and the cobblestone areas can be an absolute nightmare…

• I can absolutely recommend a rental company that saved a trip after southwest destroyed mine but again highly recommend getting one at home and practicing first…

https://www.orlandomedicalrentals.com/

1 Like

Thank you! That is a great idea & I have OT friends that may be able to help.

1 Like

I am also well aware that I sound like the most ungrateful daughter in the world. If her favorite mall was having a sale, she would walk & stand all day long for a deal. There are lots of strange dynamics here!:joy:

1 Like

You don’t sound ungrateful at all— you sound like someone trying to plan a good vacation for the entire family, and dealing with issues that many of us are facing with aging parents and their…personalities.

6 Likes

Lol I hope and pray when I am that age my kids still wanna take me to the park…Malls are a :poop: ton easier- flat surface nice smooth floors and plenty of room to mosey along- unless it’s Christmas-

Theme parks are a whole different kinda walking- regardless if you want to take it easy the rest of the place is in such a horrible hurry that it can get more than hectic.

…like @rctmsu2000 said doesn’t sound ungrateful at all sounds like your trying to do best by everyone

2 Likes

Hey OP,

First, read up the Touring Plans page on guests with special needs.

https://touringplans.com/universal-orlando/special-needs

Look into the GAP pass - it’s a pass that allows your whole party to wait out of the queue and then return to the Express Line to ride. (Ex - Gringotts is 60 minutes, they write on your pass to return in 40 and head through the Express queue).

A walker the ops team will treat like a wheelchair - you can walk through the queue but you’ll have to leave it at a location near boarding. Wheelchairs can get through queues just fine.

I’d also review the Universal Orlando Riders Guide for precise restriction information to go over with her doctor or care provider.

I don’t think she’ll be doing anything like The Incredible Hulk Coaster but she likely will be ok on Cat in the Hat, Hogwarts Express, ET, etc. Gringotts is likely pushing it. Minion Mayhem has a stationary seat option.

3 Likes

There are quite a few exceptions to that- first they don’t give GAP if they perceive it to me a mobility issue…but at the same time they do not allow rollators/walkers in some lines…In December I was told that I was a “fire hazard” and it must be parked in locker area ( that was @ MIB) that it was wheelchairs only for the elevator line

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Very helpful! I will also send her the link - maybe that will help her recognize some limitations she may need to think about.