Got my fast passes today with the help of a leading reservation! (changed from throwaway room)

Ultimately, this is true, so I abandoned the idea entirely. I just couldn’t justify keeping a campsite away from someone who otherwise would want it, NOR could I even fathom cancelling the campsite to keep the FPPs.

9 Likes

‘This would be the easiest way to do it.

I have what many of my peers consider a very strong moral compass. I am a rule follower from day one. I like rules. I respect rules. Rules make me happy.

This said, I have zero qualms in booking a campsite and paying for it and not setting foot on it.

It’s a win-win for me and for WDW. They get the money and no wear and tear on their campsite. I get the fastpasses I want.

I do not understand how using this strategy is any less acceptable than any other strategy?

I certainly didn’t stop using legacy FP because people didn’t know how it worked. I didn’t eschew MaxPass at DLR because other people didn’t buy it or understand it. I don’t refrain from booking PPO ADRs because it might keep another family from getting the table.

Frequent visitors have always honed in on ways to improve their visits and/or ROI. This is just a newer way since WDW went to the whole ride rationing system. Had WDW not gone so wild putting limits on guest experience this wouldn’t need a work-around. When they close the hole I’ll stop using… I hate FP+ with vehemence. Frankly, it ruined WDW for me. We cancelled our 2014 trip. Then I used every game I could find to make our 2016 visit a good ROI. I’m willing to visit again to experience MVMCP but I’ll be armed with every trick I need.

2 Likes

For me, it came down to the impact it had on OTHERS (not Disney or myself). When I started checking, it seemed that the Campsites fill up. Now, how many of those are people booking throwaways? I don’t know. But the point is if they are filling up, that means that people who could not afford to stay on property in other way are locked out by this trick. If the campsite was NOT filling up, then that wouldn’t be the case. But each sample date I checked, the campsites were always booked. So this meant I was risking impacting someone else.

Anyhow, that’s where it landed for me and why I abandoned the idea entirely.

7 Likes

The one drawback to this strategy is that it prevents a family who wants to actually use that campsite from going. It’s a win for you, a win for WDW, but a loss for that family.

7 Likes

Still more corner cases there. What if, for example, you have a reservation for 8 days, but then need to shorten it to 5 days, dropping off your first 3 days? I imagine you’d lose the FPs for the 3 days you knock off, which makes sense? But what about the other days? You still have a reservation, but you may have gotten better times or hard to get FPs (FoP, SDD)?

Aren’t they sort of closing this with the date specific tickets? Like if you buy tickets for a certain date, does it allow you to book Fastpasses for dates other than within that window?

It is still possible to buy wide-open-date tickets. They cost a little more, though.

Yes. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Because I don’t see how Disney could fairly deal with such a scenario. Any policy put in place to prevent the abusers would hurt those who had to shorten a trip legitimately.

3 Likes

Remember that you don’t actually have to book a WDW property. You could book a room in a neighbouring hotel, which might even turn out to be cheap enough to want to actually use. If not, a throwaway at a hotel that may have walk-ins doesn’t affect people the way a throwaway for a campsite (which I can’t imagine gets ANY walk-ins).

That chaps my backside for a whole other host of reasons.

1 Like

Is it though? This seems like such a small corner case in the first place, that I’m sure Disney I.T. has much more important things to be doing. Change Party, for instance, while removed from newer apps still works just fine on older apps.

I completely agree with you on this!

1 Like

We are a family of 8, and often travel as 10. The campsite is our best option.

How so? Asking sincerely.

You don’t need to book a room at all, on-site or otherwise!

After visiting this forum I got so excited about staying on site that I went ahead a booked three visits, one for this past MLK weekend and two more for the upcoming half marathons.

Well, we stayed at Pop Century during MLK and we hated it. I can’t recall a worse hotel experience in recent memory. Room is tiny, food court is inedible, buses are horrible. What did I do? Well I went ahead and cancelled much after I had already made my FPP reservations at 60 days. We are still going to WDW and we are still running.

But, what should I do now? should cancel my FPP just because it is the moral thing to do?

How is this situation different than someone who cancels with premeditation within the 30 day period?

Let’s be honest to ourselves, this isn’t that much different to hoarding ADRs, fetching SD FPPs for sport, or lying about going to the Contemporary just walk to MK and using that sweet sweet baggage check with no line.

1 Like

It’s part of the ongoing erosion of perks, benefits, and the general feeling of being special you used to get for coughing up the money required to stay at a Disney resort hotel. It’s a particularly sore spot in my relationship with Disney that I haven’t decided how to deal with, yet.

2 Likes

You are correct - and I disagree with all of these practices…

6 Likes

Me too. I sometimes think I’m the only one who doesn’t do anything a bit shady but it’s good to see I’m not.

8 Likes

For me, I think it’s more perhaps about a perk not really being a perk anymore. Not against others choices just for me if I stay on property
But the 60 days is no Longer an advantage then it’s not really a perk for me to stay on property. Thankfully not the only reason I do. That’s why I ask if Disney would ever put an end to it. But maybe it’s not an issue yet.