Give me your advice, damnit!

I’ve started threads before about Toy Story Land strategy and they’ve all sunk without trace. You people are rubbish and have let me down severely!

So this time I’m going to ask a specific question. I demand answers!

TSL opens on Saturday 30th. I’m am at WDW on that day and on Sunday 1st. I leave on Monday 2nd.

My current plan is to do DHS (and therefore TSL) on Saturday 30th, opening day. BUT I’m wondering if this is insane.

Do you think it would be better to switch to the following day? This is my only other option. (And, no, I’m not going to use my EMH and rope drop on Monday 2nd. Not happening. Give it up already.) (And I’m not rope dropping on Saturday 30th or Sunday 1st, either, so you can forget those, too.)

In both plans, I arrive early afternoon and stay till close. In addition to TSL I want to do ToT, RnR and F! That’s all. TSL closes at 11pm on opening day, and 10.30pm the following day.

Opening day, or the following day?

TELL ME, OH WISE ONES!

You’ve had four minutes. What’s taking so long?

Actually, I may have answered my own question. Swapping the two days round doesn’t look like it’s going to work. For example, I currently have the FEA dessert party on the 1st. It’s not being offered on the 30th. So I’d lose that if I swap the days round.

1 Like

Looks like you have your answer. Since you don’t want to take advantage of AM EMH I suggest you go late on the 30th. Maybe you’ll get lucky and they will add PM EMH or extend closing until 12. Good luck.

1 Like

I’ve annoyed myself over this, to be honest. It’s like this one aspect of my eight day trip has taken over the planning of everything else.

I’m going to show up on the 30th at some point in the early afternoon and hope for the best. I’ll see if I can get any FPPs (I get 60 days). And, as you say, they might do EMH late — which they did when Pandora opened.

Or maybe the opening won’t be quite as crazy as Pandora. None of the rides are FOP, after all.

Or maybe it won’t be open at all. The construction photos don’t look very encouraging. Seems like there’s a lot to do between now and 30th June.

1 Like

This happens to me every trip. I find that “thing” that I obsess about endlessly. I wonder if this is normal liner behavior!

2 Likes

I sincerely doubt that Slinky Dog Dash or Alien Swirling Saucers are going to be your favorite rides. You’re getting sucked in just because it’s there. Saturday 30th.

In the far off future you’ll be back at HS (once-in-a-lifetime trip #7) and be able to brag about having been there on Toy Story Land’s first day.

2 Likes

Don’t know if this will drive you more" crazy " :wink: .just for fun check out 7dmt opening day wait times 8/14 or s.a.w. opening wait times 6/16. People love new rides

Yes! This! It’s basically just 7DMT, that I didn’t particularly enjoy. And ASS (is that how we’re abbreviating it?) will probably make me feel sick.

Well, more like OIALT #3, next April. Which I’m secretly planning. It’s my 50th birthday. I keep saying “save that till next year” while I’m planing this trip. I want to stay at YC and centre my activities in that zone. This trip is more about the monorail zone.

3 Likes

I also have the Disney problem. My wife just told me,’ now your obsessing about someone else’s Disney obsession. ’ help!

8 Likes

Now, that’s comedy.

3 Likes

I love your posts, but your asking for concrete advice on something with which NO ONE has any practical experience is becoming annoying. So OK, honest opinion, dammit.

Either day you choose, you will spend HOURS on line for either TSL ride, especially if you don’t have an FPP and even more so if you don’t RD. Opening day will be “worse”, but that’s like the difference between a 9 and a 10 on the pain scale (e.g. being bitten by a jaguar vice being eviscerated by a grizzly bear). If you really want to do TSL without spending at least half a day doing it, you need to get your lazy butt out of bed and be at the gate to DHS 90-120 minutes before park opening. Thinking that you’ll get on TSL rides (let alone anything else considering the hordes of people that will be in the park on those two days) arriving at mid day is feckin’ mental. There, I said it. Tough love hurts sometimes…

The short answer to your direct question is the day after opening may be marginally less crazy than opening day itself.

5 Likes

This is my favourite bit of your post, so I thought I’d quote this bit :smiley:

Well, at least it’s still love :slight_smile:

It’s all about priorities, I guess. I’m not rope-dropping because it’s just not worth it to me. There’s other stuff I want to do.

My objectives are:

1. Walk around TSL and enjoy the theming.
  2. Ride TSMM
  3. Ride SDD
  4. Ride ASS

Surely (1) is going to be possible. I’ve scheduled five hours at TSL.

I’m only going to do (3) if by some miracle I find an FPP for it. If I do, I’ll get in line for TSMM. (I’m assuming they’ll be in the same tier, so I won’t be able to get an FPP for both.) I figure the TSMM line has a decent chunk (all?) of indoor, air-conditioned, rain-free, themed queue. And it’s not going to be as crazy as the rest of TSL.

If I don’t get an FPP for SDD, then I’m going to try to get one for TSMM.

As for (4) I’m really not that bothered. It might be fun to watch.

Given that the park closes at 11pm that night, I figure I might get a ride right at the end of the evening.

But, TBH, if I can walk round and ride TSMM, I think I’m going to be happy enough. SDD can wait till next year.

1 Like

Sounds like a solid plan!!.. to which you can change as much as you like :wink:

That doesn’t sound like the kind of thing I’d do, to be honest.

4 Likes

My apologies, that must be your friend I’ve read so much about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

AM I the ONLY one thinking around here?

You go on the 30th…

You walk around, taking it all in. Being ESPECIALLY observant (this part is key later),

Then, about 45 minutes before the park closes, you hide in the bathroom - pick your feet up and crouch on the toilet in the stall… consult E. L. Konigsburg’s From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler if you need coaching on this point.

Then, when the park closes, and everybody leaves, you come out of the bathroom, and walk around.

Now, this is where the “observant” part from earlier comes in… you have to know where the light switches are and also the power switch for the roller coaster and the ASS ride…

Voila - no crowds, day 1 at Toy Story Land and you have a story to tell EVERYONE*

I am glad ONE of us is thinking clearly.

*in the Orange County jail.

9 Likes

Since when do you care if it’s indane or not? I thought you had a patent pending on all things insane…

Am loving the saucers acronym.

Just go there whenever you show up, look around, decide the lines are ridiculous and make the most of it. You keep this up for long and you’ll be back to your 15 minute incremental planning spreadsheet before you can say ‘holy ASS batman!’

Had to use the acronym.

2 Likes

The math makes me think the 7th trip would be early 2021.

I know you’ve thought about it.

You seem to have forgotten that I’ll be in debtor’s prison from 2019 to 2021.

2 Likes

That’s why I pushed it back to Early 2021 instead of early 2020 :joy:

1 Like