Give it to me straight

I did this in January with kids the same ages. We had a great time. My bigs ride Everest a few times In single rider on their own but otherwise we stuck together (my youngest is tall enough for everything but was didn’t do HS). We did rope drop to close daily. I would sometimes seat them and then go wait in line for food, and my nine year old son had waiting places for me when we did bathroom breaks and such.

I wrote up a trip report if you want more details or just ask!

1 Like

Yes I would love to read it!! Sounds like y’all did it big open to close! Currently I’m planning on early morning to mid-afternoon each day and then being done. We will see how we hold up in the July heat.

P.S. My name is Erin too!

Ok I just went and read your report!! I DID read it before and remember being amazed at all you got done!!! Super impressive and your kids are such troopers!! We will have more days (8 park days, 2 at each park) and it’ll be hotter than Hades in July so my goal is to RD-2/3 each day then spend the rest of the time swimming and catching a decent meal for dinner.

Anything you would’ve done differently?

With just a few days, we have to make the most of it! I would maybe go back a few nights if I were you? Or do an after hours or early morning magic? Peter Pan was down when we were there, otherwise I would have done EMM for sure and that would have been nice in the lower crowds to not stress about where everyone was.

I also would consider getting a locker and stashing a bag with jackets/ponchos in it (Unless you are bringing a stroller) That would have made life easier on my son who carried a small backpack, but we bring snacks and some lunch items in with us.

I also parked my big kids on the parade route at MK and went and got ice cream/popcorn with my youngest. I’d go back with the three of them in a heartbeat! Stores and the boneyard in AK were the hardest place to keep track of them/round them up.

Now I want to go back! Have a fantastic trip!!

2 Likes

My favorite trip to date (don’t tell my DH) was 4 years ago when I took my then 6 and 8 years olds by myself. We had a blast! For me, the best part was being the only one in charge and not feeling like I had to run all the decisions by another adult first. I got to decide which park, where we were eating, etc. Just.so.easy! My kids rode together and I rode alone on rides for 2, and it worked out great. A few of the rides they rode and I watched and took pictures. We stayed at AKL and also made time to enjoy the resort.

5 Likes

We will be at AKL as well! Our first stay as DVC members!!

That is so awesome! And I’ve already totally thought that - only adult …I make all the decisions people!!! Lol!

1 Like

I’m trying to decide about the stroller. My third born (youngest on this trip!) will turn 5 in June. She tends to get really whiny (“mommy!!! Ughhhh!!! Walking is so boring!!!”) so we will see how she does without. Definitely capable. We’ll just see how much she whines and how long I can tolerate it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On eating, it looks like y’all mostly did snacking/QS. I love sitting down to a meal but am thinking I’ll reserve TS for after park time is over and make in-park time all about QS. Do you think that would work ok? Seems like that worked out well for your crew.

And totally agree with you about The Boneyard!! With my DD2 added into the mix back in February it stressed me out being in there! I’d find one kid and turn around to discover I’d lost two! :laughing:

2 Likes

Your description of the boneyard is EXACTLY what happened. And then, oh mom, I’ll go look for her… come to find my youngest was ‘hiding’ from me. lol (good times)

Yes, quick service/mobile order!!! Use that to your advantage, we did a lot of picking what they wanted while waiting for a ride and then I’d seat them and get the food on my own, or bring one helper with me and then having a yummy dinner to look forward to.

Also, if you do a character meal, find a table of adults near by to get family pics of you all. A couple of moms out to brunch jumped up and stole my camera each time the characters appeared- SO appreciated!

And I second what @hcerar said about it being fun as the sole adult! I enjoyed the decision making as well. There were a few oh sh** moments (Be sure that you always have your phone, there was one time I had my daughter’s camera in my pocket and left my phone on my seat in a show- thankful for the people sitting next to me!), but we survived and I’d go and do the same trip anytime!

1 Like

Wait, that’s not normal? :wink: Sometimes I feel like that’s the story of my life when I’m out almost anywhere with the kiddos.

1 Like

Lol! Probably pretty normal. I’m forever counting 4 heads when we go anywhere. :laughing:

1 Like