Genie+ Review and conundrums

Paper FP had limited return windows, and they controlled how many were given out, not all that different from FPP. They were also limited in that you had to seemingly run an extra several miles to go get your next FPs back then. Today, it is as easy as a screen tap.

2 Likes

They are very similar in the fact that you could only get one at a time and could get another when you’d used the first or after 2 hours, whichever was sooner. So not that much like FPP in my opinion, and closer to Genie + than FPP was.

It did have a 1 hour return window but like BGs, you could actually return anytime after the window opened, even hours later.

1 Like

This is a good point, I hadn’t explicitly thought about. But you’re right. G+ is a almost a digital version of paper FP…but without all the running around! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I bet lots of people didn’t know that, so worked hard to get there within the window.

1 Like

Yes, same as lots of people didn’t know you could get more FPP after the first 3 or that you could modify to get the second window sooner after you’d used the first. And I’m certain most people - probably including me! - won’t understand how to use G+ to the full extent.

2 Likes

Just to add

You can’t get a lightning lane for more than 12.

You can’t buy ILL for anyone in your group at 7am that is not staying on property, they have to wait to park open.

3 Likes

Was this something you tried yourself or did you read it somewhere?

I didn’t know this. I recall on my first trip to WDW (before I knew about TP) I got a paper FP and the return time was when my then DD2 would be napping so I just left it on top of the kiosk. :flushed: :scream:

You missed a trick there!

1 Like

Don’t feel too bad. This is definitely a trick that Disney didn’t make known, but only those “in the know”…knew!

We are planning to go to WDW with my wife’s family in October to celebrate her parents 50th anniversary. There are 13 people total spread among 4 families. Does this mean I won’t be able to book G+ LL for everyone at the same time?

Yes we tried ourselves.

1 Like

Unfortunately no

We are a group of 16 with 5 different families. The limit is 12 people you can put into your party.

We are all linked thru family and friends list yet I could make a LL for some people but not others. I can’t figure out any rhythm or reason as to why. We ended up just doing it at the same time on 2 different accounts and were able to get overlapping windows.

Hope that makes sense

2 Likes

Yes, that makes sense. Although it occurs to me that 1 of the kids in our group will be 2 years old. For FP, we never needed a FP for 1 or 2 year olds. If it is the same for G+, then I could book for the 12 adults and kids over 2 years old and bring the 13th along since she is 2.

Yes that will work. We have a 3 yr old with us, half the time they don’t make her swipe

1 Like

This is probably the same as what happened to me. If the logged in account isn’t on the reservation it won’t show on your my day part of genie. Also there is then no way to cancel it if needed unless you log into one of the other users accounts with the reservation.

1 Like

With as hard at as it was coordinate everything we never tried to cancel any. We just went with what we had.

Another issue I ran into:

First park of the day we were in HS. We bought a ILL fir Rise and RD MF. Had no problem getting SD before 9am . Got TS and ToT. By 2pm we had all we needed for HS so I decided I would try to stack some LL fir Mk since just DW and I were hopping there. Genie+ will only show next available. There were plenty of choices for MK but all were within an hour. I was looking to get some for after dinner. I could not get any evening LL until around 4. Point being that stacking fir the evening is a great strategy but not always as easy in practice. I think it would be much easier to do this at HS because the earlier LL run out sooner.

5 Likes

Yeah I wish Genie+ allowed you to select times.

2 Likes